1st string D needs to play awhile on thursday night

beernuts

moving on . . . .

I know conventional wisdom is that you do not play your first stringers beyond a series in the final pre-season game so as to not have any important injuries, but I think that conventional wisdom has to go out the door this week. I think the first string defense needs to play this game like its the third pre-season game, and play into the second half

they need the work and hopefully the confidence that comes from that

besides, with the exception of Abraham, none of them are irreplaceable

moving on . . . .

I know conventional wisdom is that you do not play your first stringers beyond a series in the final pre-season game so as to not have any important injuries, but I think that conventional wisdom has to go out the door this week. I think the first string defense needs to play this game like its the third pre-season game, and play into the second half

nope i hope not no more injury's play the youngsters

moving on . . . .

I'd imagine that the first team defense will get some extensive action next game. If you noticed, quite a few first stringers from the defense were still on the field last game. You gotta earn your way on and off the field. The offense put in their work and came right out...defense has a lot more work to do.

moving on . . . .

They will have ten days until opening day to heal up from bumps and ruises, they need the reps, they need the reps , and they need the reps!

moving on . . . .

One of the issues with this is that after the first series the defense is going to be playing against all back-ups and guys trying to make the team.... so it might make them look better then they actually are.

William Moore better be careful...we've seen how this staff and front office treats players who spend more time on the trainer's table than on the field..i.e, Laurent Robinson...

I dont think it is that serious. The knee surgery was more proactive on our part, and the hammy injury's are pretty common.

I'm a bit wary of this. As bad as the D looked, it would look even worse if we sustained any major injuries while playing in an exhibition game.

Abe doesn't need to play at all, or 1 series tops. Same for Babs probably. Lofton and Peterson a series or two at most. The younger guys might benefit from playing longer.

moving on . . . .

They wont get confidence by beating up on 3rd and 4th stringers

People are making WAY too big of deal abut the charger game.

Most of the things that got the falcons were all mental errors, ie not wrapping up, taking bad angles.

nothing good is going to come out of them playing more then a series or 2 at the most in the final preseason game.

I am sure the coaches are addressing the break downs but I am almost 100% positive they are not making as bad ofa deal about it as people here are.

as far them being "irreplaceable" while I agree no one is but imagine if Anderson or Babs got hurt........think how thing on the line we would be then, what about if Peterson got hurt? people may not like the way he has played but the fact is he is by FAR our most experienced linebacker, if we went down we would see even MORE break downs.

all of these guys mentioned may not be "irreplaceable" but they sure as **** are important.

They wont get confidence by beating up on 3rd and 4th stringers

People are making WAY too big of deal abut the charger game.

Most of the things that got the falcons were all mental errors, ie not wrapping up, taking bad angles.

nothing good is going to come out of them playing more then a series or 2 at the most in the final preseason game.

I am sure the coaches are addressing the break downs but I am almost 100% positive they are not making as bad ofa deal about it as people here are.

as far them being "irreplaceable" while I agree no one is but imagine if Anderson or Babs got hurt........think how thing on the line we would be then, what about if Peterson got hurt? people may not like the way he has played but the fact is he is by FAR our most experienced linebacker, if we went down we would see even MORE break downs.

all of these guys mentioned may not be "irreplaceable" but they sure as **** are important.

We've got three solid backup DEs that I think are all more capable than Jamaal Anderson, so I don't see the Falcons losing much if he gets hurt.

I'm a bit wary of this. As bad as the D looked, it would look even worse if we sustained any major injuries while playing in an exhibition game.

Abe doesn't need to play at all, or 1 series tops. Same for Babs probably. Lofton and Peterson a series or two at most. The younger guys might benefit from playing longer.

exactly Beirman, Sidsbury, Jerry, Owens, Moore ( if he can go) all of those younger first and 2nd year guys need more PT then the others.

Abe, if I were coach would not even dress

We've got three solid backup DEs that I think are all more capable than Jamaal Anderson, so I don't see the Falcons losing much if he gets hurt.

Sids and Beirman are too small to be out there in the running game.

We lost alot when he did not play last year in terms of run defense..................and with the fact we rotate Linemen SO often and the fact Abe may only play 50% of the snaps............. Losing Anderson would be a BIG blow, just like if we lost Davis. when you look at how our Dline works all of the starters are important.

I'd sit Abe and Babineaux and play everybody else until they have convinced coach Smith that they are NFL starter material.

Again you have to realize they are going to be playing against 3rd and 4th string guys who probably wont even be on the the ravens team when the season starts.

What good does that honestly do? and what would it actually prove?

Nothing.

Sids and Beirman are too small to be out there in the running game.

We lost alot when he did not play last year in terms of run defense..................and with the fact we rotate Linemen SO often and the fact Abe may only play 50% of the snaps............. Losing Anderson would be a BIG blow, just like if we lost Davis. when you look at how our Dline works all of the starters are important.

Actually Sid is playing pretty solid against the run as the preseason has progressed. He is playing the run much better than expected for such a highly regarding pass rusher out of college. I think that if he did start he would be much of a liability against the run, and add to the fact that he has extremely long arms to keep the OT away from him.