Turner. Frankly, he can't. Snelling can. Injury or not has nothing to do

with it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to the 84 Dolphins.

wow so one team 25 years ago did good going pass happy with a 2nd year QB? wow there have been 25 superbowls since then and it has NEVER happend again.....maybe we should try it/sarcasim

p.s sorry bud im a huge matt ryan fan....and he's not on dan marino's level anyway. but hey lets try it anyway...good idea.

So far of all the responses above, I didnt see anyone throwing Norwood

under the bus. Fact is, he's smaller, lighter, surely faster. However, that

doesn't typically suit us in our offense as well as a heavier, slower, 3 yards

and a cloud of dust type of runner. They're talking about him spelling

with it.

I never threw Norwood under the bus. I'm not even near a bus, and Norwood would probably be too heavy for me to do that anyway.

im glad your not a offensive coordinator.....you wanted to bench turner and wait until it mattered? um the first few games in the season doesnt matter? you want to get pass happy? just like the saints huh? hows that work out for them.....with your game plan. Michael Turner carried this offense last year. because he did it when it mattered....the very first game. going pass happy with a 2nd year QB cant be a good idea either.

I am glad you are not a teacher. I never said to bench turner and I actually said pass happier not pass happy and I think Ryan could handle it just fine. However, if our D is going to take awhile to gel we have to keep pounding the ball which is why I also said I loved the idea less now. With a very talented offense you can start a season one way and end it another. It is a ploy that works because it makes it harder for defenses to game plan against you late in the season and the heavy running game is fresh when defenses are not so it works even better. Unfortunately we may have to carry the defense again for awhile which means all hands on deck.

Probably the only criticism I would have of Mike Mularkey is that he seems to have no clue as to how to use Norwood. It's too bad too because he is an extraordinary talent. Snelling is not. I have no problem with saying "Snelling is a better fit for this offense the way it is designed", but throwing a blanket statement in your title like "Snelling > Norwood", well, that simply isn't true. Players like Jason Snelling are not hard to find. Homerun threats at the RB position are hard to find.

wow so one team 25 years ago did good going pass happy with a 2nd year QB? wow there have been 25 superbowls since then and it has NEVER happend again.....maybe we should try it/sarcasim

p.s sorry bud im a huge matt ryan fan....and he's not on dan marino's level anyway. but hey lets try it anyway...good idea.

Well I've constantly heard that Matt Ryan is the best rookie since Marino. I actually believe that too. I don't think this team needs to go "pass happy", but I very much believe it could be successful doing so.

You know Rev, I think the coaches are going to see it that way this year. Norwood is really not a between the tackles runner, but now an then he is. He is very slippery. I would rather see him on more passing plays though. In open space he's just about impossible to catch.

Snelling definitely deserves a spot on the team. I love Norwood too, but it seems every time he gets the ball I worry he is going to get dinged again. He has big play capability, is good on STs, and is a nice change of pace back. The ONLY reason I'd even consider this post is that Norwood is prone to getting hurt from time to time and Snelling seems more durable and can run between the tackles.

I've tussled with the Snelling vs Norwood thing too Rev, so don't feel bad.

So far of all the responses above, I didnt see anyone throwing Norwood

under the bus. Fact is, he's smaller, lighter, surely faster. However, that

doesn't typically suit us in our offense as well as a heavier, slower, 3 yards

and a cloud of dust type of runner. They're talking about him spelling

with

[/quote

He can't spell Turner but that is not throwing him under the bus? This guy

has been dynamite for us and now this bs is how he is viewed.

I'd like to see Snelling get a lot more carries this seaon. Especially if we have the game under control. It drove me nuts last year when we had a big lead and they would leave Turner in the game. The Raiders game for example. They were still giving the ball to Turner late in the game when it was obvious we were going to win. That's just unneccesary wear and tear on Turner.

The problem is that you're talking about two very different types of players. The good thing about Norwood is that he is a receiving threat. He's never going to be a strong between-the-tackles runner.

Snelling is definitely a good straight-ahead runner. I would be less than surprised to see more of him in the backfield this year.

^^^this^^^

I agree with Rev, and again, I'm a big Norwood fan too, but as someone else stated, this is an apples/oranges conversation. Using Snelling to "spell" Turner is different from using Norwood as a "change of pace" back.

And with that in mind I would even go so far as to say if Turner was to (God forbid) be out for ONE game, I could definitely see Snelling being the starting RB, and Norwood still being the "change of pace" guy, because then the offensive style doesn't change at all.

I think Norwood is a better compliment to Turner, but Snelling is a better replacement.

I think this is probably what most people are trying to say. Mularkey is going to

want to pound the rock come h. or high water. I just think that if Norwood gets

10-12 carries from scrimmage instead of 3 to 5 we will win more games. I think

if you review his highlight reel you will see a lot of runs that start right up the

middle of the field, between the tackles where he is not supposed to be able

to run according to his critics, and then he makes a cut and is gone. He breaks

arm tackles, he has an excellent stiff arm and I don't really see any problem with

his game other than what has been said before: Not enough carries.

I had the same sort of thought when watching the game Saturday night: Snelling looks more effective than Norwood..

Jerious appears to be making running choices which negate his speed and quick change of direction. On one play, he spent way too much time trying to juke a defender with a stutter step. That allowed the pursuit to catch up to the play. On other plays, he hesitated and took too much time to choose a running lane.

I think your observation is valid, Rev. And it's not about bashing, Norwood. It's about the asset the team has in Snelling, and the improvements Jerious can make to become a legitimate alternative to Turner.

Well well well. All those Norwood>>Bush threads are becoming more irrelvant. I tried to tell everyone Norwood isn't a between the tackler runner just like Bush. Both are good in the passing game.

Great point. Except for Norwood averaging 56% more yards per carry and 25% more yards per reception, they are exactly the same player.

I think its awesome that we can actually have a debate on who is the better back up running back, when they have both shown signs of being good. If Norwood is better than Snelling um ok Sweet. If Snelling is better than Norwood um ok Sweet.

There is no debate over who is a better player. The debate is over who is a better fit maybe.

Great point. Except for Norwood averaging 56% more yards per carry and 25% more yards per reception, they are exactly the same player.

Considering Reggie has 418 career rushes to Norwood's 297 and Reggie has 213 career receptions to Norwood's 76 he should have a better per touch average than Reggie. Well Reggie has 20 career TDs to Norwoods 9. Nice try though