Don't flame me for saying this, but Snelling > Norwood

Rev_Hal

Face it - Norwood has been injury prone since entering the league. Yes, he has an explosive x-factor, but he had not developed into the huge threat we thoght he would be. When he got hit in the head (which should have been a penalty) and hurt his knee, it seemed a bit too familiar.

Snelling was impressive, and I think can contribute in the running game. We need to lighten the work load of Turner, and Snelling seems more durable. He can pound the ball.

I love to see Norwood bust out the big plays, but he needs to be in more passing packages, or we need to use him in Wildcat formations. Snelling is more of a blue collar back who can take some of the heavy hits away from Turner.

I'm not bashing Norwood, but I think Snelling can play a significant rolew this year, especially if Norwood has nagging injuries.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that you're talking about two very different types of players. The good thing about Norwood is that he is a receiving threat. He's never going to be a strong between-the-tackles runner.

Snelling is definitely a good straight-ahead runner. I would be less than surprised to see more of him in the backfield this year.

I think Snelling would do better than Norwood as the primary runner, but Norwood is a better compliment to Turner. Snelling's role will be small imo because he has the same style as Turner. Norwood adds something different. Snelling is good, though. Very agile for his size. Could probably run for 1200 yards as the starter.

The problem is that you're talking about two very different types of players. The good thing about Norwood is that he is a receiving threat. He's never going to be a strong between-the-tackles runner.

Snelling is definitely a good straight-ahead runner. I would be less than surprised to see more of him in the backfield this year.

I think that taking the load off of Turner is a greater need for this team right now. The addition of Gonzo is goign to reduce the number of throws going to backs (not like we had a lot anyway).

I think that Norwood is a great change of pace back, and Snelling could be a replacement for Turner if needs a spell on and we dont want to bring in the change of pace back Norwood, but i think they are two different players.

this...when a defense gets caught off guard with a quick toss to norwood, the possibilities are endless. norwood gets hurt, but he usually makes it back on the field and contributes fairly well

Put down the crack pipe. (I don't follow instructions very well).

I said this about a billion years ago but I wanted to see Snelling come in the beginning of the season and us go a little pass happier to keep the burner fresh for the first part of the season then unleash the beast when it matters. Unfortunately this was before I knew anything about where our D would be so I am loving this idea less now.

It's all about how you use them. Snelling as a straight-up sub for Turner makes a lot of sense - similar running style, similar power and a lighter load for MT. Norwood is at his best in two-back sets that get him out in space. Running him between the tackles doesn't play to his strengths.

It's all about how you use them. Snelling as a straight-up sub for Turner makes a lot of sense - similar running style, similar power and a lighter load for MT. Norwood is at his best in two-back sets that get him out in space. Running him between the tackles doesn't play to his strengths.

Agreed, and I think the priority this year should be keeping Turner fresh. I think Snelling can help in this manner better than Norwood.

Don't get me wrong, I love Norwood. I just think Snelling can play a significant role that Norwood cant.

As you said initially, nothing against Norwood, but Snelling may be a better fit, and a better RB to spell Turner.

From what I understand, Snelling is no slouch in catching the ball... No, he's not going to win a track meet, but

he's also going to get that tough yard where Norwood just can't (too little).

I would like to see Snelling as our 2nd RB in there more often...

Put down the crack pipe. (I don't follow instructions very well).

I said this about a billion years ago but I wanted to see Snelling come in the beginning of the season and us go a little pass happier to keep the burner fresh for the first part of the season then unleash the beast when it matters. Unfortunately this was before I knew anything about where our D would be so I am loving this idea less now.

im glad your not a offensive coordinator.....you wanted to bench turner and wait until it mattered? um the first few games in the season doesnt matter? you want to get pass happy? just like the saints huh? hows that work out for them.....with your game plan. Michael Turner carried this offense last year. because he did it when it mattered....the very first game. going pass happy with a 2nd year QB cant be a good idea either.

im glad your not a offensive coordinator.....you wanted to bench turner and wait until it mattered? um the first few games in the season doesnt matter? you want to get pass happy? just like the saints huh? hows that work out for them.....with your game plan. Michael Turner carried this offense last year. because he did it when it mattered....the very first game. going pass happy with a 2nd year QB cant be a good idea either.

Tell that to the 84 Dolphins.

Exactly right on both points. Norwood needs clear running lanes in order to be an effective between-the-tackles runner. If he doesn't have a big enough running lane to hit, he goes down easily. But get him in the flats as a receiving back and he's a terror.

Snelling is a hard runner that knows where yard-to-make marker is.

I think that Norwood is a great change of pace back, and Snelling could be a replacement for Turner if needs a spell on and we dont want to bring in the change of pace back Norwood, but i think they are two different players.

I agree I think they should use Norwood for different plays and not use him to spell Turner, let Snelling come in he's earned it. I also think it would wear down the defense more pounding Turner then pounding a fresh Snelling it would never stop for the opposing D.

Agreed, and I think the priority this year should be keeping Turner fresh. I think Snelling can help in this manner better than Norwood.

Don't get me wrong, I love Norwood. I just think Snelling can play a significant role that Norwood cant.

We have heard absolutely nothing about Norwood's "injury" and you already

have thrown him under the bus. This is the pre-season. Do not forget who

Norwood is and what he can do. Snelling is T.J. Duckett-like and can pound

the rock if Turner misses time. This offense has had one primary flaw in it

and that is Norwood is not getting enough carries. Now you are saying that

is really the way to go? Wrong!

We have heard absolutely nothing about Norwood's "injury" and you already

have thrown him under the bus. This is the pre-season. Do not forget who

Norwood is and what he can do. Snelling is T.J. Duckett-like and can pound

the rock if Turner misses time. This offense has had one primary flaw in it

and that is Norwood is not getting enough carries. Now you are saying that

is really the way to go? Wrong!

I really don't think Norwood's problem is lack of carries. Staying on his feet after intial contact is the problem. He's a speedster, not a banger like Turner and Snelling are.