Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phattywankenobi

BBQ Expertise Needed

9 posts in this topic

I couldn't think of another forum to put this in but I need some input on something I am thinking of doing during the Labor Day weekend. I am going to put about 4 Boston Butts on a huge smoker and let er' rip for 20 hours or so with Chestnut Oak for the smoke and rub it down with Bad Byrons Butt Rub. Butt rub jokes are expected but I was thinking instead of mopping (basting) the pork with apple juice I would simply let some marinade in apple juice and another in peach juice overnight. Would that be too overpowering when served with Sweet Baby Rays and possibly Stubbs?

I couldn't think of another forum to put this in but I need some input on something I am thinking of doing during the Labor Day weekend. I am going to put about 4 Boston Butts on a huge smoker and let er' rip for 20 hours or so with Chestnut Oak for the smoke and rub it down with Bad Byrons Butt Rub. Butt rub jokes are expected but I was thinking instead of mopping (basting) the pork with apple juice I would simply let some marinade in apple juice and another in peach juice overnight. Would that be too overpowering when served with Sweet Baby Rays and possibly Stubbs?

yeah your doing to much, by smoking your meat it will already be moist. So you don't have to do to much work once you put it on the grill.

Skip the marinade, injections, and brines. Marinating will not penetrate a big piece of meat like a butt very far, so don't bother. Injecting works nicely, but this meat has so much flavor and moisture if you cook it properly, you don't need to inject. Use a good rub, and let the smoke flavor it.

Thanks guys. Your probably right. I find something I like and try to make it better the next time but it wasn't broke before.

It's still trial and error. You never know whats good or bad until you try it. Take the smallest one and try it. I heard about injecting boston butts with rub & apple juice so I eventually tried it and didn't like it.

20n hours is ALOT of time. too much if u ask me but that meat will taste more than smokey

The smoking part I've got down. It's a huge inefficient smoker that varies by quite a few hours each time. It's all about when the temperature of the pork reaches around 190F because I prefer the pulled over the slice.

I smoked a couple butts this weekend. They were my best yet. Cooked 'em 18 hours. Used a dry rub, but no marinade or injectiions (agree with others, there's no need). I did soak my chunks (mesquite by the way) in 50/50 apple juice and water. Can't claim there was a huge effect, but considering I do not use any sugar in my rubs, I did notice a slight fruitiness/sweetness to the charred crust on the butts.

You gave me an idea, I think I might use peach juice next time.