If TD is so smart ......

caveman

Not being negative -- just want the Falcons to win. I understand the speed and agility thing, but at some point, size does matter. It seems like there are more and more tall wideouts these days, and no matter how close the CB sticks to them, there is just no way they can win the jump-ball game -- Shaq will beat CP3 in a jump ball every time.

How many times are we going to see a bigger body screen-off a CB on a slant, or a tall WR out-leap our guy on a fade to the corner of the endzone? When you add inexperience to the size factor, the weakness becomes even greater.

TD and Smitty must have a plan to deal with this situation - only time will tell. How many people think Grimes can shut down Moss in game #3? Maybe TD can work another deal for a quality CB before the season starts -- one thats fast, agile, experienced, and.... 6' or better. FAT CHANCE!!!

TD and Smitty must have a plan to deal with this situation - only time will tell. How many people think Grimes can shut down Moss in game #3? Maybe TD can work another deal for a quality CB before the season starts -- one thats fast, agile, experienced, and.... 6' or better. FAT CHANCE!!!

I'm thinking the same thing--TD and Smitty are evaluating the CB situation and know that at best Grimes is a backup. I don't see too much difference in his coverage skills from last year. He was always like glue and getting turned around then; but he will always have a problem with any 6' or above receiver.

Well, Dunta Robinson is pizzed off at the Texans, but I doubt we've got anything to give them for him. Other than that, i can't think of anyone that might be available who'd be an improvement over what we have now. We may just have to hope we can shut down the run and not get burned too bad throughout the season. I think it'll be the #1 priority next offseason.

There is no doubt that we have issue with the DB's/CB's.

If you remember the discussions prior to the draft ,we all had serious

debates on which came first the chicken or the egg.

(D Line or DB,s)

The consensus was, if we addressed the DB's first then we would be gashed on the run and

that would set up all kinds of nastiness for our DB's to get hammered each and every game.

If we focused on the D Line (which I believe we did) we get a 2 for 1.

1. We can stop the run better and as a result that DB's do not have to play too close to the line.

2. If the D Line can generate a pass rush and be disruptive, then this will make life substantially easier for the DB's.

(improves our chances)

Concerning TD's choices.

Knowing that you cant rebuild a team in less than 3 years, you have to make every draft pick Count.

D.I.R. (Do It Right)

TD has this concept down cold.

In Caving, you do not take any gear into a Cave that is not either Essential or serves 2 purposes.

I am not saying that this concept fixes our problems, it just gives us the best chance to survive.

Houston will be back and will be fine on his side. However Grimes will get abused with tall receivers, Owens will be good but there will be growing pains. And Chevis is fine in the NB position.

I think Grimes starts for 3-4 games until Owens is ready.

Grimes will get abused by tall receiver, Owens will get abused. Houston got abused all last season A smart scheme will beat the receivers. Pressure on the opposing QB will make the receivers less effective.

Well, Dunta Robinson is pizzed off at the Texans, but I doubt we've got anything to give them for him. Other than that, i can't think of anyone that might be available who'd be an improvement over what we have now. We may just have to hope we can shut down the run and not get burned too bad throughout the season. I think it'll be the #1 priority next offseason.

i think they are still mad at us about schaub. i would love to have dunta robinson though.

Not being negative -- just want the Falcons to win. I understand the speed and agility thing, but at some point, size does matter. It seems like there are more and more tall wideouts these days, and no matter how close the CB sticks to them, there is just no way they can win the jump-ball game -- Shaq will beat CP3 in a jump ball every time.

How many times are we going to see a bigger body screen-off a CB on a slant, or a tall WR out-leap our guy on a fade to the corner of the endzone? When you add inexperience to the size factor, the weakness becomes even greater.

With our offense, we don't need shutdown corners, just survivors. The improved pass rush will

make the difference at CB

I think Houston will be ok on one side, but we are in trouble on the other. Owens may develop into a big play guy, but it may take a season or two. As for shutting down Moss, I don't think many NFL teams have a working plan for that.

We usually deny our opponents good field position so as long as our Dline can gel very quickly and bring lots of pressure we should be fine. This means that even if our backs don't break up the passes if they can get the quick tackle and prevent YAC we should be able to contain most of the time.

There are still going to be some very frustrating moments this year because our team is not done being rebuilt. We just have to ride it out.

Makes sense. The real question. How many shut down corners are there in the history of the NFL? Everyone seem to want all of our corners to be one.

Don't want to count all shutdown-CBs in the history of the NFL, but right now there's only one true shutdown-corner and he has the big problem to play for a terrible team (the Raiders).

Chris McAlister is still available.

And there are some very good reasons why he's available ... he's not that good anymore, has terrible work ethic and lost at least one step. Don't expect him to wear a Falcons uniform as long as TD and Smith are here.

TD always said they have a 3 year plan to turn the franchise around ... expect changes to the CB position next offseason, if nobody steps up this year.

So what you guys are suggesting is Miami using their 6 foot 5 receiver Patrick Turner, and their 6'4 receiver Brandon London a lot in week one against Atlanta's midget corners.

BTW, 3rd round pick Patrick Turner has had a great camp in Miami. Big tall target who runs great routes and has great hands. Looks more like 6'6 than 6'5 to me.

If what you guys are saying is true, look for them a lot in week one. Because if you can see then definitely Miami's great coaching staff can see it...... Miami has three players who are 6'4 or taller on offense that can expose little midget DB's... And they have a QB in Pennington who is an expert at placing the ball perfectly so only they can catch it.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, here is Patrick Turner #84 standing next to the other receivers after practice during a meeting with the receivers coaches..

The thing with Turner is that he has very short legs, he is 6'5 1/2 but he has the legs of a man who is 6'0 with his very long torso/upper body... This allows him a lower center of gravity, and it allows him to cut much better for a man his size.. He is able to turn on a dime because of those short legs... GM Jeff Ireland said it was a big reason why we drafted him in the 3rd round.. And also said they will match him up by putting him in motion against the shorter cornerbacks in the league for big mismatches that favor the Dolphins offense.

And again, he has had a great camp.. In fact, numerous reports out of Miami were that he was the most dominant player on the field during the first week... Not just the most dominant rookie, but the most dominant player overall. Period.

3ynwg.jpg

We spent a 2nd round pick on a CB n in 2007, a 3rd rounder in 2008 and the 3rd rounder this year.

It takes time for players to adjust to the NFL. At some stage we have to trust TD and give the players a chance to develop, rather than calling for wholesale changes and expensive veteran upgrades just because our young CBs don't look like Deion Sanders after 2 years.

There is no doubt that we have issue with the DB's/CB's.

If you remember the discussions prior to the draft ,we all had serious

debates on which came first the chicken or the egg.

(D Line or DB,s)

The consensus was, if we addressed the DB's first then we would be gashed on the run and

that would set up all kinds of nastiness for our DB's to get hammered each and every game.

If we focused on the D Line (which I believe we did) we get a 2 for 1.

1. We can stop the run better and as a result that DB's do not have to play too close to the line.

2. If the D Line can generate a pass rush and be disruptive, then this will make life substantially easier for the DB's.

(improves our chances)

Very good post. In my opinion you have to build inside out, and TD had his priorities straight when he selected Peria in the first round. The only thing I somehow regret is the fact that we couldn't keep Foxworth. That's the one doable thing I think we missed out on.