PFW: Falcons DT Jerry being pushed

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on board with the VW pick although I really REALLY want Jerry to be a stud.

As a died-in-the-wool Yellow Jacket, I saw Walker play A LOT and I felt like he was going to be a great pro. I was really surprised he dropped to us and I couldn't have been happier.

Granted, I do have GT homer tendencies, but I make this stand trying to be as unbiased as possible.

My hope is that they both can become top notch players on our line. I can't wait to see what V-Dub can do against a first/second string OL.

I'm on board with the VW pick although I really REALLY want Jerry to be a stud.

As a died-in-the-wool Yellow Jacket, I saw Walker play A LOT and I felt like he was going to be a great pro. I was really surprised he dropped to us and I couldn't have been happier.

Granted, I do have GT homer tendencies, but I make this stand trying to be as unbiased as possible.

My hope is that they both can become top notch players on our line. I can't wait to see what V-Dub can do against a first/second string OL.

that a boy wreck ..we all want Jerry to be a stud ..it hurts missing on first round picks maybe they will push each other and in a couple of years we have the best dt tandem in the league

Jerry looked ordinary the other night but I expect him to dominate. I don't

look for him drag around trying to find himself. Just stand by.

Stand by Houston, we have lift off. We need to scrutinize this article a bit more fellas... what say y'all. One things for sure, I would rather chew glass than begin another jamal anderson soap opera. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, hambone will be just fine. It takes time. He's with the big boys now but look at him... he is calm and relaxed and working hard. That tells me he's not all geeked up and wiggin' out like he feels as though he's over his head. I think this kid already realizes he is as strong as everyone else. Just a matter of understanding schemes and blocking assignments, gap control, lanes, and all the crap that goes into it. You learn by mistakes. We'll wait for ya big cookie, we'll wait. Peria's gonna get there gentlemen.

Jerry just doesn't have the size to play Nose Tackle. He isn't fit to take on Double teams and hold the point. Trey Lewis, on the other hand, can hold the point and penetrate against double teams...... that is why I think he will be the starter. Jerry and Babs would really get pushed around in the run game, but give me both of those guys one-on one and I'll take that all day.

I think it's best to just withdraw all judgment until we see the boy in action 2-3 games into the season.

If he has failed to be disruptive along the line after a few real-time games in any way, then we may have some room to speculate that he may not pan out to be as good as we think.

I mean, even a few mediocre games from him during the first few weeks will be promising for me.

He's a rookie, I don't expect him to come in here and dominate everyone. Not yet.

This story is about as reliable as rotoworld taking Gonzo's statement completely out of context and said he was uncomfortable in our offense and struggling. Jerry is doing OK. Smitty said they have seen his burst that they loved about him but his head is still spinning just like any other rookie. Jerry is doing fine and the coaching staff is not disappointed in him. Even some of his teammates talk about how explosive he is. He juts has a lot to learn still. The way Trey Lewis is playing, he might not start but you better believe he will see a ton of playing time regardless.

This is a nothing story. They've just taken what Coach Smith said in his latest presser, and tried to twist it a little:

Q. What are some of the keys in making a transition for a guy right in the heart of the defensive line?

A. “I think the biggest thing is pad level. I think that you can get away when you’re playing in a college game with superior talent that play with higher pads. You have to play with your pad level down in this league or they are going to knock you out of your gap. I think the intensity in which a guy is playing with every down against an outstanding player. I think those are the two big things. The intensity level of the game and then he has to work on his pad level. The “picking up the scheme” will come. All of the guys (rookies) are swimming a little bit in terms of the volume that we have given them.”

This is something Mora should have done to JA98, instead of anointing him the starter, based on his draft pick.

Plus JA98 was a one-year wonder in college so the pick was one of those "best player available" picks IMO. Not that I'm hating on JA98, but I believe Jerry will pan out to be a solid player for us for many years.

Jerry will be a stud. How often does a DT come in and make an immediate impact? I would be impressed if he blew us away in his first preseason game. He will need some work, obviously. I think the good news is our other defensive tackles are looking good.

Wasn't Jerry being double teamed alot of the Lions game? Isn't that a real good sign this early?

Your a great person to ask this question then.. What do you think about his pure foot speed? I am convinced that Jerry will learn to use his hands better, but I have no feel for his closing speed for sacks and TFL. What did you see at Miss?

I saw Jerry foot speed from a few tapes that TD showed at the State of the Franchise event and i was thoroughly impressed, that is the least of my concerns.

This is a nothing story. They've just taken what Coach Smith said in his latest presser, and tried to twist it a little:

Q. What are some of the keys in making a transition for a guy right in the heart of the defensive line?

A. "I think the biggest thing is pad level. I think that you can get away when you're playing in a college game with superior talent that play with higher pads. You have to play with your pad level down in this league or they are going to knock you out of your gap. I think the intensity in which a guy is playing with every down against an outstanding player. I think those are the two big things. The intensity level of the game and then he has to work on his pad level. The "picking up the scheme" will come. All of the guys (rookies) are swimming a little bit in terms of the volume that we have given them."

X2... looks like everyone has picked up on the 'less than real' logic of this article... I guess it's safe to say yes, Jerry is being pushed... uh, I darn sure hope so... Jerry ain't the kind of guy who gets paid and then sunday schools it... more of a lunch pail guy to me...