Jump to content

Has M. Peterson lost a step?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the one thing you (and lots of other people on here) are forgetting is that Peterson was seeing his first game action with us. Players always play slower when they have to think about what they're doing... which is exactly when happens when you are trying to figure things out with a new team. Yes, the Falcons are running a similar defense to what was run in Jax, but Peterson is ALSO adjusting to being an OLB again.

Give him some time guys.

I agree, P.A.. As I stated in my initial post; I know its preseason etc. but it did concern me when I watched the play. It looked to me like he was spying Culpepper from the way the play developed and he even got a good overall first step toward tackling him but he did get beat to the edge and it turned into a positive gain.

I, in no way, subscribe to the chicken little theory of football. Just merely making an overservation and trying to stir converstation other than things regarding YKW and our d tackle that would rather roll around on the ground making snow angles in the artificial turf rather than sacking the qb.. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He didnt look terrrible stop making up stuff , the only thing you are basing that off of is a scramble by Culpepper where he was forced out of bounds after a 3yrd gain. He actually was very aggressive with the blitz and coming up and attacking the line of scrimmage and made a few stops. Before today you actually had stats to prove your point, but now that we see the action live you are making up staff or basing it on your biased opinion, which is questionable :D

I find it funny that he post career stats when defending that Peterson is not a step up. Neither one of these guys are the players that they used to be but the truth is, Peterson has a lot more left in the tank than Keith right now. It would of been a better argument if he would of brought up Brooking's sack from their pre season game but I'd counter that with the system he is in. He came off the field during an obvious passing down after that play. lol. Some of these guys trashing Peterson heard the commentator say that Culpepper was pulling away from Peterson and was no spring chicken anymore. They are basing it off that comment and not his play. Even on that play, he forced Culpepper out of bounds after a short gain. And while Culpepper might not be as fast as he used to, he still has decent wheels for a QB and is looking healthy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree, P.A.. As I stated in my initial post; I know its preseason etc. but it did concern me when I watched the play. It looked to me like he was spying Culpepper from the way the play developed and he even got a good overall first step toward tackling him but he did get beat to the edge and it turned into a positive gain.

I, in no way, subscribe to the chicken little theory of football. Just merely making an overservation and trying to stir converstation other than things regarding YKW and our d tackle that would rather roll around on the ground making snow angles in the artificial turf rather than sacking the qb.. :)

No problem.. :) I think I will be more concerned if I see that kind of play being made against Peterson in the 3rd preseason game.. but on second thought.. was it really that big of a play? 3 yards on a QB scramble?? Culpepper was fast to begin with and they said during the broadcast that he lost a bunch of weight this offseason so he likely is pretty spry given that it was the first game action of the preseason.

Glad to have some real football discussion going instead of all the bashing etc. I've been a member of the boards since 97 and rarely post anymore because of all the school yard bashing that goes on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find it funny that he post career stats when defending that Peterson is not a step up. Neither one of these guys are the players that they used to be but the truth is, Peterson has a lot more left in the tank than Keith right now. It would of been a better argument if he would of brought up Brooking's sack from their pre season game but I'd counter that with the system he is in. He came off the field during an obvious passing down after that play. lol. Some of these guys trashing Peterson heard the commentator say that Culpepper was pulling away from Peterson and was no spring chicken anymore. They are basing it off that comment and not his play. Even on that play, he forced Culpepper out of bounds after a short gain. And while Culpepper might not be as fast as he used to, he still has decent wheels for a QB and is looking healthy.

I agree dude lost a whole nother person, so of course he is going to be faster than he used to be and it appears that his knees are better. Crab is a hater(I am not going to say racist because I dont know crab), but i can tell he is a Mike P hater and will use anything any situation even if he has to blow it out of proportion to say something bad about Mike P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think they touch him at all except Buchcanon right before Turner went into the end zone.

Actually both safeties had a shot at him. One took a bad angle and Turner ran through his arm tackle, and the other guy had Baker there providing some interference and he wasn't able to get a good grip on him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree dude lost a whole nother person, so of course he is going to be faster than he used to be and it appears that his knees are better. Crab is a hater(I am not going to say racist because I dont know crab), but i can tell he is a Mike P hater and will use anything any situation even if he has to blow it out of proportion to say something bad about Mike P.

Yea, he tried to tell me that you were the one that brought up Brooking a while back in an argument and that he was just trashing Peterson but I have seen him 2 or 3 other times including this time trying to make it seem like Brooking is better. The problem is, he brings up career stats. I would listen to the argument of who had the better career but not who is better now. It is obvious who is better at this point in their careers. Both in their Primes, I still take Peterson because he is more aggressive and fills running lanes better. I like Brooking and he was very solid for us but he made a lot of tackles down field and very rarely plugged a whole like a great LB does. JMO, but both have had great careers. Both have big hearts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He also got out ran by a FB last year. Badly.

That reminds me of the play when I decided that Brooking's career was about over. I was at the Indy game on Thanksgiving day. Addai was hurt so an undrafted rookie Kenton Keith (I think) was in the game and he took a pitch or swing pass from Manning. It was Kenton Keith and Keith Brooking one on one in the open field. Without even going 5 yards laterally, Keith was able to run a tight little semi circle around Brooking and he was never touched. It looked a little something like this (this is the exact play).

340x.jpg

It was sad, much worse than the Culpepper play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, he tried to tell me that you were the one that brought up Brooking a while back in an argument and that he was just trashing Peterson but I have seen him 2 or 3 other times including this time trying to make it seem like Brooking is better. The problem is, he brings up career stats. I would listen to the argument of who had the better career but not who is better now. It is obvious who is better at this point in their careers. Both in their Primes, I still take Peterson because he is more aggressive and fills running lanes better. I like Brooking and he was very solid for us but he made a lot of tackles down field and very rarely plugged a whole like a great LB does. JMO, but both have had great careers. Both have big hearts.

Ghost, that is a perfect example of a Man Crush gone Bad, dont get this way with Stafford, as you see it is pretty sad :D:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ghost, that is a perfect example of a Man Crush gone Bad, dont get this way with Stafford, as you see it is pretty sad :D:lol:

I am hoping Stafford can keep it up and all signs point to him being great. Recent word is that he has impressed his coaches and his teammates at his football IQ and his work ethic. That was before the game too. I think both him and Sanchez have a real chance to be very good. If they do then this league will suddenly have a pretty good crop of young talented QB's. From the class of Ben, Eli, and Philip to Ryan and Flacco. Then this years crop minus Freeman that proved he has a long way to go. I'll be careful not to let the man crush get out of hand though. lol. My crush on Matt Ryan is already out of control though. I got to stop the madness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am hoping Stafford can keep it up and all signs point to him being great. Recent word is that he has impressed his coaches and his teammates at his football IQ and his work ethic. That was before the game too. I think both him and Sanchez have a real chance to be very good. If they do then this league will suddenly have a pretty good crop of young talented QB's. From the class of Ben, Eli, and Philip to Ryan and Flacco. Then this years crop minus Freeman that proved he has a long way to go. I'll be careful not to let the man crush get out of hand though. lol. My crush on Matt Ryan is already out of control though. I got to stop the madness.

Yeah i was suprised at how good Sanchez was able to make some good reads and good throws. Stafford suprised me at how controlled he was in the pocket with pressure, he still kept his head down the field looking for the open WR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah i was suprised at how good Sanchez was able to make some good reads and good throws. Stafford suprised me at how controlled he was in the pocket with pressure, he still kept his head down the field looking for the open WR.

I am shocked at how high Stafford's football IQ was to be honest. I heard he impressed Detroit among other teams before the draft but I had no idea. UGA had some beat up o-lines his last 2 years there and at times, he didn't have a chance. That's what made Moreno so special, he sometimes would have no where to go and like 3 or 4 guys around him in the back field but rarely did he ever get tackled for a loss. He would always somehow find a little room and always fell forward. Kind of like Marcus Allen used to be in Oakland years ago but Moreno is no where near as fast.

Anyway, Stafford just needs to work on keeping the ball down which is normally in your technique. He was impressive and I didn't expect to see him that far along. Sanchez has some great intangibles and he reminds me a lot of Matt Ryan. He seems to be the total package. We'll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually both safeties had a shot at him. One took a bad angle and Turner ran through his arm tackle, and the other guy had Baker there providing some interference and he wasn't able to get a good grip on him.

Yes but that was 15-20 yards down field. That hole that Clabo, Dahl, and Mughelli made for him I could have drove my semi thru it. I saw one of Detroit's safeties try to make an arm tackle on his way down on him but on the replay it didn't look like he even touched him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^^ Yea, they were tackling like beast. lol. Turner made that defense look bad but they were tackling like beast. They probably win anywhere from 4 to 6 but don't be fooled into thinking that one pre season game, or even 4 for that matter, means jack. Detroit is 5-0 in their last 5 pre season games and 0-16 in their last 16 regular season games.

5 - 0 in preseason and 0 - 17 in regular season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JayMadd wrote: "but i can tell he is a Mike P hater and will use anything any situation even if he has to blow it out of proportion to say something bad about Mike P."

How is listing two players solo tackling stats from the exact same years "blowing something out of proportion"? The fact is Peterson had 200 less solo tackles since 2001 than Brooking has. You can look at those stats and blame me, or stick your head in the sand and say "Brooking is a pile jumper and Peterson is a breast against the run".....its your choice. Peterson is simply not an upgrade over Brooking no matter how much you hate KB56....and Peterson looked slow in his first game as a Falcon. I am not the only one that thinks that. Go back and read the game day thread....lots of folks saying Peterson looked slow/bad. Guess we're all "haters"..LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dude Culpepper out ran Abe too....... You guys are over thinking things.... It was just the 1st preseason game

Yup

Anybody that cant sack Culpepper is a BUST!

Forget the preseason excuses.

Anybody that thinks that sacking Culpepper is an academic function,

clearly never watched the guy play.

The guy is simply one of the best when it comes to avoiding a sack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JayMadd wrote: "but i can tell he is a Mike P hater and will use anything any situation even if he has to blow it out of proportion to say something bad about Mike P."

How is listing two players solo tackling stats from the exact same years "blowing something out of proportion"? The fact is Peterson had 200 less solo tackles since 2001 than Brooking has. You can look at those stats and blame me, or stick your head in the sand and say "Brooking is a pile jumper and Peterson is a breast against the run".....its your choice. Peterson is simply not an upgrade over Brooking no matter how much you hate KB56....and Peterson looked slow in his first game as a Falcon. I am not the only one that thinks that. Go back and read the game day thread....lots of folks saying Peterson looked slow/bad. Guess we're all "haters"..LOL

Slow based on what and please dont use the scramble by Culpepper, because Culpepper only gained 3 yrds, but tell me who stopped Culpepper from getting a TD on another scramble. Peterson is an upgrade over Brooking at this points especially agasint the run and in blitzing, Peterson is alot stronger at the point of attack compared to Brooking at this point in their careers. You are a Mike Peterson Hater :D. I wasnt even talking about the stats and Sumslap showed your game changing stats over there careers and how had more Int, Sack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ghost rider wrote: "I find it funny that he post career stats when defending that Peterson is not a step up"

Ok, we'll just go with the last three years: KB56--250 solo tackles Peterson--152 solo tackles

But, yeah Peterson "plugs that hole" and is "aggressive" and has "swagger" while KB56 is a "pile jumper". But, I will admit that Peterson has better dreadlocks and trash talks more, he said so his own bad self before the game. LOL...and here's where someone chimes in and says that Daunte Culpepper is really, really fast coming out of retirement at age 33 having undergone knee surgery....so the fact that he outran our aged LB is meaningless. If that had been Brooking there would have been 50 threads about it...and nobody would have been talking about Culpepper being "fast". ROTFLMAO. I hope Peterson gets better, but my bet is somebody else will be starting at that position by years end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ghost rider wrote: "I find it funny that he post career stats when defending that Peterson is not a step up"

Ok, we'll just go with the last three years: KB56--250 solo tackles Peterson--152 solo tackles

But, yeah Peterson "plugs that hole" and is "aggressive" and has "swagger" while KB56 is a "pile jumper". But, I will admit that Peterson has better dreadlocks and trash talks more, he said so his own bad self before the game. LOL...and here's where someone chimes in and says that Daunte Culpepper is really, really fast coming out of retirement at age 33 having undergone knee surgery....so the fact that he outran our aged LB is meaningless. If that had been Brooking there would have been 50 threads about it...and nobody would have been talking about Culpepper being "fast". ROTFLMAO. I hope Peterson gets better, but my bet is somebody else will be starting at that position by years end.

Do you think that Abe is slow too, why the Dreadlocks remarks <_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, except for the run by Turner, where the Lions made it look like he was dipped in Crisco.

We hired Georges St. Pierre's corner man as our new equipment guy. :lol:

-

But seriously, it looked to me like MP had to change direction and recover(I could certainly be wrong). But, even if that wasn't the case, he still made to the sideline. As much of a Brooking fan as I am, I know if it had been him playing Culpepper probably turns that corner for more yardage. I think some people(been guilty of it myself) just get a little too excited about offseason signings and draftees causing us to hold expectations a little high. The starting defense didn't look bad except against the screen pass. They are going to get much better as the regular season gets rolling good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ghost rider wrote: "I find it funny that he post career stats when defending that Peterson is not a step up"

Ok, we'll just go with the last three years: KB56--250 solo tackles Peterson--152 solo tackles

But, yeah Peterson "plugs that hole" and is "aggressive" and has "swagger" while KB56 is a "pile jumper". But, I will admit that Peterson has better dreadlocks and trash talks more, he said so his own bad self before the game. LOL...and here's where someone chimes in and says that Daunte Culpepper is really, really fast coming out of retirement at age 33 having undergone knee surgery....so the fact that he outran our aged LB is meaningless. If that had been Brooking there would have been 50 threads about it...and nobody would have been talking about Culpepper being "fast". ROTFLMAO. I hope Peterson gets better, but my bet is somebody else will be starting at that position by years end.

We are not playing 3 years ago. We are playing in '09. Why does the entire NFL world see this but you don't? There has to be an agenda. Dallas signed him but moved him back inside in their 3-4 defense. That is probably a perfect fit for him at this point in his career. BTW, I am not one that says Brooking was a pile jumper. Her wasn't but if you actually watch the games and not speak out your @zz then you'd see he has slowed down tremendously and he made several tackles down field. Like I said, rarely did he slam a hole shut on a running back. You have took notice to how bad our run defense has been over the last several years haven't you? He hasn't helped that by making tackles 5 to 10 yards down the field. All I can say to you is watch the games and drop the agenda.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...