LOve for the money?

The real world also has guaranteed and non guaranteed contracts, and contracts that can be ended at the employers pleasure with only payment due on what has been completed so far, yet you think NFL players should get a different definition of contract?

This is not even a matter of contract law.

Are any of you saying Roddy is in breach of his contract such that the contract is now voidable at the option of the Falcons?

If so, why don't they void it?

Of course, you all know that's not the case. The contract provides for penalties in a holdout, so the exact thing Roddy is doing is dealt with in the contract. You all act as if he is doing something illegal or immoral, when in fact the contract at issue expressly contemplates the action he has taken.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets look at this another way, give him what he wants or any other player on the team for that matter and watch the ticket prices, food, parking or anything else to do with the Falcons go through the roof. Talk about what the market will bare. I personally can't bare it anymore. I would like to come to more games but, I can't afford it. What do you think causes such high prices? It's out of control, where will the madness stop? A lot of people have more money than I do but, if it continues on this path there will be less people to go to the games and we all know what that means. By the way, I think Roddy should be in camp. I fell much better now :rolleyes:

I must be missing something. Were injuries not an issue in his profession when he signed his original contract? Why is it suddenly okay to hold out because he could possibly get hurt? As far as his skills/fair market value, I can't see where that should be an issue until the current contract expires. If that's what he's basing it on, then his agent should have sought some sort of clause in the initial contract for performance incentives. I certainly can't charge more than I bid on a job just because it turned out better than I expected, or because I learned some other contractor is charging more for the same work.

Are any of you saying Roddy is in breach of his contract such that the contract is now voidable at the option of the Falcons?

Of course, you all know that's not the case. The contract provides for penalties in a holdout, so the exact thing Roddy is doing is dealt with in the contract. You all act as if he is doing something illegal or immoral, when in fact the contract at issue expressly contemplates the action he has taken.

Can't refute that but my view stands firm. If the tables were turned he would have an entirely different viewpoint and you know it. He is, in fact, looking out for himself. Something for which I do not blame him. I, however, am a falcons fan well before a Roddy White fan. Let him look out for himself. My allegiance is to the team. ;)

Can't refute that but my view stands firm. If the tables were turned he would have an entirely different viewpoint and you know it. He is, in fact, looking out for himself. Something for which I do not blame him. I, however, am a falcons fan well before a Roddy White fan. Let him look out for himself. My allegiance is to the team. ;)

Mine is too, but I don't have to take sides here. If they cut him or if he holds out all year, I'll be right there with you. Right now, he's just trying to use the little leverage he has to work a deal, and the team is standing firm. I don't blame either of them.

goldstar.gif

I think you missed my point. He has a contract. I don't care how much he gets paid. He should be in camp.

I was a fullback and a middle line backer.

The point he and other supporters like myself are trying to make is this. If in your job situation, you can lose your life. You do it because you love it. If Roddy didn't love playing football, he wouldn't have played for a team that didn't fare too well. He wouldn't have kept playing when he was having a down season. You are acting as if he hasn't done anything for this team. He could get hurt in practice, and his career is gone. Don't even compare you and your job to him and his job. There is nothing to compare. Every time his name is called out, Blank makes money. How many other jobs can you say this about?

The point he and other supporters like myself are trying to make is this. If in your job situation, you can lose your life. You do it because you love it. If Roddy didn't love playing football, he wouldn't have played for a team that didn't fare too well. He wouldn't have kept playing when he was having a down season. You are acting as if he hasn't done anything for this team. He could get hurt in practice, and his career is gone. Don't even compare you and your job to him and his job. There is nothing to compare. Every time his name is called out, Blank makes money. How many other jobs can you say this about?

Ill keep that in mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

I give up.

The point he and other supporters like myself are trying to make is this. If in your job situation, you can lose your life. You do it because you love it. If Roddy didn't love playing football, he wouldn't have played for a team that didn't fare too well. He wouldn't have kept playing when he was having a down season. You are acting as if he hasn't done anything for this team.

The fact that he is wiling to breach his contract and hurt our chances for personnal gain, rather than fulfilling his contract and trying to help the team succeed, says more than enough about his commitment and character and respect for the game - or lack thereof.

If every NFL player who thought he was being underpaid, decided to hold out, we'd spend our sundays in Autumn wathcing empty fields. Thanksfully, most players have the decency to honour the contracts that they agree to rather than blackmailing their teams by holding out whilst under contract. With oput last 3 drafts, half of our roster is made up of players on their rookie contracts, almost all of whom are earning the NFL's minimum base salary, including several starters. Maybe they should all be holding out as well?

He could get hurt in practice, and his career is gone.

...and you expect people to have sympathy with him for that, or think that it entitles him to special treatment? Roddy earned more money before the forst day of his rookie trianing camp, that most people earn in a lifetime. He could have blown a knee on the first play of the day of his rookie camp and still walked away a multi-millionaire. The bottom line is, he signed a contract that requires him to play and should be willing to honour it.

As XL stated above, if a contractor agrees to provide you with a service for a set payment and gets paid most of money up front, he can't just decide to quadruple the price just because his work is of a good standard or because he find out that some other contractor is charging more for the same work. If you were the one buying the services, would you just give in and pay up?

Don't even compare you and your job to him and his job. There is nothing to compare. Every time his name is called out, Blank makes money. How many other jobs can you say this about?

Most employees generate - or help generate - money for their employer. An contract is binding on the parties, whether its a contarct paying the minimum wage or the employment contract of a top CEO. If Roddy doesn't like his terms, he shouldn't have agreed to them.