Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zigg zagg

is vick a better qb than eli manning?

118 posts in this topic

link

Eli Manning has agreed to a six-year $97 million contract with the Giants, making him the highest-paid NFL player. He is widely regarded as one of the league's premier quarterbacks.

Michael Vick, if he ever manages to find a team, will likely sign a contract for less than $1 million. Lately, he has been widely criticized as a "mediocre-to-poor" quarterback.

So what is the difference between this $100 million quarterback and this $1 million quarterback? I believe we can sum it up under two items. Dogfighting and a David Tyree catch.

Michael Vick participated in disgusting criminal activities that have kept him away from the game of football. Eli Manning had his catch miraculously hauled in by David Tyree, leading to an improbable victory and a Super Bowl ring. (If Tyree doesn't hold onto the ball, is Eli getting this contract?)

Clearly Eli has made better decisions and has far more to show for his efforts. But I want to keep this comparison on the field. So lets put these two very different paths aside for the moment and look at the numbers.

In five years, Eli Manning has a 56 percent completion rate, 6.4 yard passing average, 200 passing yards per game, 98 TD, 74 Int, 120 sacks, and a 76.1 QB rating.

In six years, Michael Vick has a 54 percent completion rate, 6.7 yard passing average, 155 passing yards per game, 71 TD, 52 Int, 187 sacks, and a 75.7 QB rating.

The statistics are nearly a wash, from the touchdown-to-interception ratio, to the completion percentage, to the quarterback rating. The stats do show Eli being sacked significantly fewer times (though this is, at least in part, a reflection on Vick's tendency to run) and producing more passing touchdowns in less time.

The pure passing statistics are very close, but we'll give the edge to Eli. But what of the running game? This is Michael Vick, after all, and the running game is an integral part of what he brings to the quarterback position.

In five years, Eli Manning has a 2.0 yard rushing average, 2.9 rushing yards per game, and three rushing TD. In 2005 he rushed for a career-high 80 yards.

In six years, Michael Vick has a 7.3 yard rushing average, 50.2 rushing yards per game, and 21 rushing TD. In 2006 he rushed for a record 1,039 yards.

Couple Michael Vick's record rushing stats with his passing stats, and (I think) the numbers show that he is the better quarterback. He has about the same passing ability, but far-superior running ability.

We should also look at the talent that each player had surrounding them. In his years with the Giants, Eli Manning has played behind an offensive line that has included Pro-bowlers Shaun O'hara and Chris Snee. He has handed the ball off to Pro-bowlers Tiki Barber and (FB) Madison Hedgecock.

He has thrown to the ball to Pro-bowlers Jeremy Shockey and AP NFL All-Pro selection Plaxico Burress.

In his years with the Falcons, Michael Vick has handed the ball off to Pro-bowler Warrick Dunn and has thrown the ball to Pro-Bowlers Algae Crumpler and Roddy White.

It is a very wide barrier that separates the current state of Michael Vick's career from Eli Manning's. But there's not much separation in their ability on the field. Neither is a great passer. Vick is a great runner. I give the edge to Vick.

On the field, anyway.

No. Eli turned that franchise into a year to year winner. Even beat the Patriots in the SB. Vick had a dumb owner at the time. Vick never did anything to deserve that contract he got in the first place.

a couple things here: Vick was a better qb then Eli Manning. Who knows what Vick brings to the table now that he has been away from the game? You can't say how good he is now.

Secondly: Contracts are not made of what you have done, they are made for what the team thinks you will do. Now obviously they look at previous stats and tape, but when teams award players contracts, it's for what they believe this player will do in the future. Obviously the Giants think Eli is going to be elite. I don't think he is now though.

No. Eli turned that franchise into a year to year winner. Even beat the Patriots in the SB. Vick had a dumb owner at the time. Vick never did anything to deserve that contract he got in the first place.

was it eli that turned them into a year to year winner? and what is a year to year winner?

theres no comparison to the teams vick and eli played on. manning has always had a far superior cast than vick ever had to work with from coaches to players to front office.

was it eli that turned them into a year to year winner? and what is a year to year winner?

theres no comparison to the teams vick and eli played on. manning has always had a far superior cast than vick ever had to work with from coaches to players to front office.

remember though vick's was paid much, much more then eli got. the nfl has already said Vick>Eli.

Mr. Thug Life. I know that you are one of the biggest Vick supporters on the site so I understand how you feel. Although no one acknowledges it, Vick actually had talent in Dez White and Peerless Price. They may not be the best names in history but they were actually decent. Vick ruined what he had with his feet. I remember plays where WR were wide open and he decides to run. The ball gets snapped and the O-line shift right, this moron runs left. When he finally decided to throw the ball, it was either over thrown, under thrown, to high, to far out etc... I dont blame some of the drops that were made. They were probably still in shock that he actually threw the ball. That's just my opinion from what I viewed all those dreadful years. Even when we went to the NFC championship game it was horrible. The first snap he took, he's turning circles with his hands on the ground.

i will give you that. dez white and peerless price went on to hall of fame careers after leaving atlanta. i almost forgot.

i remember plays from every qb that wrs were wide open and missed them. i also saw the oline break down more than a pinto.

Lol where did you get Hall of Fame careers out of me saying they were decent.

the fact that neither one of them had anything resembling a career after leaving atlanta. decent receivers dont disappear into thin air.

bad ones do though.

And the fact that a QB mainly believed in running the ball 10+ times a game makes him better than a pocket passer who has had much success throughout his career

And the fact that a QB mainly believed in running the ball 10+ times a game makes him better than a pocket passer who has had much success throughout his career

yeah. pretty much.

defense - eli

wr's - eli

oline - eli

running game - eli

coaching - eli

what advantage did i miss?

we did have a great special teams unit!!! i will admit that. but the fact is dez white, peerless price, roddy white and michael jenkins combined while in atlanta werent equivalent to plaxico burress' toejam. same with the oline. same with the defense. same with the coaching.

yeah. pretty much.

defense - eli

wr's - eli

oline - eli

running game - eli

coaching - eli

what advantage did i miss?

we did have a great special teams unit!!! i will admit that. but the fact is dez white, peerless price, roddy white and michael jenkins combined while in atlanta werent equivalent to plaxico burress' toejam. same with the oline. same with the defense. same with the coaching.

So in other words you're just mad b/c Eli had a smarter owner and GM than Vick had at the time huh

I agree, I remember nobody give him a chance against the Pats in that super bowl game.

I agree, I remember nobody give him a chance against the Pats in that super bowl game.

I was one of them. Lost $100 bucks on that game :(

I know Manning got the MVP (2 TD's in the fourth), but the real MVP of the game was the Giants D...they held the highest scoring team in league history to 14 points...

Vick is lucky to still be walking as sorry as the O-line was when he was here...

I know Manning got the MVP (2 TD's in the fourth), but the real MVP of the game was the Giants D...they held the highest scoring team in league history to 14 points...

Vick is lucky to still be walking as sorry as the O-line was when he was here...

Vick didn't know how to utilize a pocket - It's not shocking that sacks drastically went down when Joey Harrington took over the reigns and he runs about as fast as my dead Grandfather

So in other words you're just mad b/c Eli had a smarter owner and GM than Vick had at the time huh

who is mad? im just stating an opinion backed up by facts that's all.

Vick didn't know how to utilize a pocket - It's not shocking that sacks drastically went down when Joey Harrington took over the reigns and he runs about as fast as my dead Grandfather

2005 - falcons qbs were sacked 39 times

2006 - falcons qbs were sacked 47 times

2007 - falcons qbs were sacked 47 times

lmao @ drastically went down!!!!

bwahahahahaaaa!!!!!!

WHAT POCKET???? when vick had time to throw he was pretty **** good, of course he had his bad days like all qbs, but one thing all the great qbs have/had was dependable targets and adequate pass protection. vick is the only qb i can think of who led his team to as many wins with neither.

plaxico is the mvp of the giants offense, and the only reason the giants won the superbowl is because of the utter dominance of their front four and the miracle catch by david tyree.

who is mad? im just stating an opinion backed up by facts that's all.

All I know is Vick is the only one that ruined himself. The man took off running as soon as the ball was snapped. Teams, especially division rivals, figured him out. He had help, he shouldve used it more instead of trying to do everything himself

All I know is Vick is the only one that ruined himself. The man took off running as soon as the ball was snapped. Teams, especially division rivals, figured him out. He had help, he shouldve used it more instead of trying to do everything himself

Please name the teams.

In Vick's last year, one of his best passing games in his career came against the Yucs. Carolina went out their way to draft players specifically for Vick after all those beating of running and passing(yeah he actually did pass the ball) for years. They almost threw a parade when they was finally able to "beat" Vick and the Falcons. :lol:

Baltimore didn't stop Vick.

Pittsburgh didn't stop Vick.

I agree, I remember nobody give him a chance against the Pats in that super bowl game

That's Giants D is what killed the Pats, not Eli.

Throwing up a Farve-like pass in the middle of the field that was up for grabs is not the greatness of the QB, but on the WR who makes a play on the "loafer". Manning does get credit for not getting sacked and moving in the pocket to avoid the rush, but that's it.

That's Giants D is what killed the Pats, not Eli.

Throwing up a Farve-like pass in the middle of the field that was up for grabs is not the greatness of the QB, but on the WR who makes a play on the "loafer". Manning does get credit for not getting sacked and moving in the pocket to avoid the rush, but that's it.

You could also argue Manning was in the grasp too, but I wanted the Patriots to lose so I ain't going to hate...I still stand by what I said though, I don't care if he did throw 2 TD's in the 4th...the Giants D was the MVP...

All you cats saying Vick never stayed in the pocket to pass I ask you to look at 'America's Game' when the Bucs won the SB...they show the game where they played ATL in Tampa...Vick has the best quote ever about the O-Line "I don't even have time to set up" or something along those lines...If that doesn't sum up the O-Line play when Vick was playing then what does?

You also get to hear the respect they had for Vick...Warren Sapp was talking about how they were watching a tape of Vick JUST ON 3RD DOWNS...Simeon Rice came late and when he started watching the video he asked if it was a highlight tape...Sapp quickly corrected him and told him it was a just a 3rd down tape...

There is no QB in the league that created the fear Vick created (not Brady or either Manning)...not only could he sling it down the field 70 yards, but he could also run for 70...

You could also argue Manning was in the grasp too, but I wanted the Patriots to lose so I ain't going to hate...I still stand by what I said though, I don't care if he did throw 2 TD's in the 4th...the Giants D was the MVP...

All you cats saying Vick never stayed in the pocket to pass I ask you to look at 'America's Game' when the Bucs won the SB...they show the game where they played ATL in Tampa...Vick has the best quote ever about the O-Line "I don't even have time to set up" or something along those lines...If that doesn't sum up the O-Line play when Vick was playing then what does?

You also get to hear the respect they had for Vick...Warren Sapp was talking about how they were watching a tape of Vick JUST ON 3RD DOWNS...Simeon Rice came late and when he started watching the video he asked if it was a highlight tape...Sapp quickly corrected him and told him it was a just a 3rd down tape...

There is no QB in the league that created the fear Vick created (not Brady or either Manning)...not only could he sling it down the field 70 yards, but he could also run for 70...

its hard to imagine what could have been if he had the oline and receiving corps of brady or manning. its funny all these haters think vick is horrible when he gets nothing but respect from his peers, offensive and defensive. let the armchair gm's think they know what theyre talking about.