The battle for confrence bragging rights starts early this season

Xnex

I haven't checked all of the SEC teams schedules, but at least four teams are set to open the season versus teams in other "power confrences" this year. The Gamecocks travel to NC State where I'm sure they will be underdogs. UGA goes to Stillwater to face the Cowboys, Bama is facing Va Tech., and LSU is at Washington.

I don't recall this happening so early in the season very often. Hopefully all of the SEC teams can win their games and start the season off right. As I said earlier I feel pretty certain that NC State will be favored to beat Carolina since we're playing them at their place. Hopefully our defense can step up to the occasion and keep the Wolfpack out of the endzone for the most part.

Supposedly our coaches believe that we have more pure talent in ouf defensive backfield, but there's not much game experience and the depth is unknown as of yet. Our defensive backfield has some experience at safety by cb is a different story altogether.

Anyway, good luck to the SEC teams, I hope we all light it up.

I haven't checked all of the SEC teams schedules, but at least four teams are set to open the season versus teams in other "power confrences" this year. The Gamecocks travel to NC State where I'm sure they will be underdogs. UGA goes to Stillwater to face the Cowboys, Bama is facing Va Tech., and LSU is at Washington.

I don't recall this happening so early in the season very often. Hopefully all of the SEC teams can win their games and start the season off right. As I said earlier I feel pretty certain that NC State will be favored to beat Carolina since we're playing them at their place. Hopefully our defense can step up to the occasion and keep the Wolfpack out of the endzone for the most part.

Supposedly our coaches believe that we have more pure talent in ouf defensive backfield, but there's not much game experience and the depth is unknown as of yet. Our defensive backfield has some experience at safety by cb is a different story altogether.

Doesn't UT open up with UCLA?

UGA should beat the Cowpokes, Bama is going to beat the jowls off of Beamer, and LSU vs. Washington...yeah...Wazzu fans are going to have nightmares about that one.

The USC/NC St. matchup is intriguing, though. I am certainly pulling for USC and I am confident they win. I have heard some good things about NC St. but the most I am really paying attention to them lately has to do with Crisp. So, I am confident, but I don't know how confident I should be.

UT started with UCLA last year, its 2nd game this season.

In terms of bragging rights, if OSU beat Georgia the Big XII wont drop it until the end of thseason and they get crushed in the bowls but if/when VT beat Bama or SEC lose to anyone else i don't see it being enough for them to claim best conference...unless Washington somehow beat LSU lol

UT started with UCLA last year, its 2nd game this season.

In terms of bragging rights, if OSU beat Georgia the Big XII wont drop it until the end of thseason and they get crushed in the bowls but if/when VT beat Bama or SEC lose to anyone else i don't see it being enough for them to claim best conference...unless Washington somehow beat LSU lol

That would be hilarious if Washington beats LSU. I can't imagine what it would take for them to win. If OSU wins, it will be pretty unbearable to hear how great the Big12 is all season until they get beat down in the bowls. I doubt that happens though, we matchup pretty favorably with them.

we have a number of great conference games from uga playing okie state and arizona state to south carolina playing ncstate and lsu playing washington (okay i lol'd there) and bama facing virginia tech.. We will find out a lot about teams early, but make no mistake about it teams will change thoughout the year and we will see how far teams have progressed when we get to bowl time and as we saw last year a few conference coughed up a big lugy when it got to playing their bowl games.

Doesn't UT open up with UCLA?

UGA should beat the Cowpokes, Bama is going to beat the jowls off of Beamer, and LSU vs. Washington...yeah...Wazzu fans are going to have nightmares about that one.

The USC/NC St. matchup is intriguing, though. I am certainly pulling for USC and I am confident they win. I have heard some good things about NC St. but the most I am really paying attention to them lately has to do with Crisp. So, I am confident, but I don't know how confident I should be.

Yeah I really do think NC State will get it turned around soon. I just hope Carolina has enough ability to go up there and beat them. But it's gonna be tough, I'm fairly sure.

As far as confrences go, I think the ACC is going to improve their image this year. Several of those teams look like they are on the upswing to me. Aside from State you have UNC, Ga. Tech, and I think FSU will be a good team this year too. We still don't know what Clemson is going to end up doing with Dabo at the helm but I'm sure they will be physical and they will hustle through the entire game.

dude it could be worse.. it could be wyoming.. :lol: :lol:

I will put it this way.

If App. State, Stanford, or Toledo played Washington, I would bet against Washington.

a loss to the huskies would be a disaster of biblical proportions. now having said all this let me find some ******* wood to knock on

That would be hilarious if Washington beats LSU. I can't imagine what it would take for them to win. If OSU wins, it will be pretty unbearable to hear how great the Big12 is all season until they get beat down in the bowls. I doubt that happens though, we matchup pretty favorably with them.

Other than when Georgia faces Arkansas, this upcoming game with OSU will be the only time I'll root for UGA this year.

Could you imagine how ridiculous the Big XII fans would be? I'd rather see the Bulldogs whip their *** than listen to Big XII fans talk crap all year.

Other than when Georgia faces Arkansas, this upcoming game with OSU will be the only time I'll root for UGA this year.

Could you imagine how ridiculous the Big XII fans would be? I'd rather see the Bulldogs whip their *** than listen to Big XII fans talk crap all year.

Yep, every single one of them would act like it was validation that the Big12 was the better conference and even Iowa St could beat 10 of the 12 teams in the SEC. Blah, blah, blah, so on...it would be unbearable. I just want to see UGA beat down OSU and then OSU go undefeated until the bowl game. :D

can you imagine how the big12 fans would have been this whole offseason if oklahoma had won the nc? you notice they disappeared the entire offseason til a few days ago..

can you imagine how the big12 fans would have been this whole offseason if oklahoma had won the nc? you notice they disappeared the entire offseason til a few days ago..

I think some of them may have even stuck around had TTU beat Ole Miss. Both of their teams got beat in both of their games with SEC opponents.

I guess they'll adapt the Bobby Cox motto of "We'll get 'em next time!"

I think some of them may have even stuck around had TTU beat Ole Miss. Both of their teams got beat in both of their games with SEC opponents.

I guess they'll adapt the Bobby Cox motto of "We'll get 'em next time!"

well they had their chances last year and the big 12 screwed up when it counted.. i guess they will have the bobby cox motto.. lol

dude it could be worse.. it could be wyoming.. :lol: :lol:

Come on man, that sorta thing sometimes happens the week that your longtime coach gets fired. Unlike Washington, they actually won a few games last year. Washington didn't win any. Nick Stephens practically threw the game right to Wyoming. He had an INT brought back for a TD and another one brought to the 4 yard line, to set up their other TD. That was the only game Tennessee quit playing last year. It was obvious that they played with no emotion and it's like they didn't want to be there.

Come on man, that sorta thing sometimes happens the week that your longtime coach gets fired. Unlike Washington, they actually won a few games last year. Washington didn't win any. Nick Stephens practically threw the game right to Wyoming. He had an INT brought back for a TD and another one brought to the 4 yard line, to set up their other TD. That was the only game Tennessee quit playing last year. It was obvious that they played with no emotion and it's like they didn't want to be there.

wyoming was a bad non bcs team.. even with the coaching situation you have enough talent to not show up against them and still win especially at home.. dude that was embarrassing to the sec. one of the worst losses an sec team has had in some time OOC. I understand guys being upset, but you were still playing a very bad opponent.

wyoming was a bad non bcs team.. even with the coaching situation you have enough talent to not show up against them and still win especially at home.. dude that was embarrassing to the sec. one of the worst losses an sec team has had in some time OOC. I understand guys being upset, but you were still playing a very bad opponent.

I know they were horrible, and was embarassing to the SEC but they really didn't care, especially on Offense. The Defense gave up one score, a 4 yard TD on one play scoring drive because of a horrible INT that Nick Stephens threw and they returned to the UT 4 yard line. His other INT was returned for a TD. There was no excuse or reason for this loss. Some teams will go out and give it everything they've got for their recently fired coach, such as Syracuse going to Notre Dame and winning. Sometimes they'll completely lay an egg like Tennessee did and go through one of, if not the most embarassing loss in school history. I do think that if this game would have been after the open date, rather than before it, it would have been a double digit win.

Ironically enough, after the open date, Tennessee was able to recover enough to beat Vanderbilt and then handily beat Kentucky, both of whom would have destroyed Wyoming.

Which was worse, Tennessee losing a game under those circumstances to Wyoming, or Alabama losing to Louisiana Monroe in 2007?

I know they were horrible, and was embarassing to the SEC but they really didn't care, especially on Offense. The Defense gave up one score, a 4 yard TD on one play scoring drive because of a horrible INT that Nick Stephens threw and they returned to the UT 4 yard line. His other INT was returned for a TD. There was no excuse or reason for this loss. Some teams will go out and give it everything they've got for their recently fired coach, such as Syracuse going to Notre Dame and winning. Sometimes they'll completely lay an egg like Tennessee did and go through one of, if not the most embarassing loss in school history. I do think that if this game would have been after the open date, rather than before it, it would have been a double digit win.

Ironically enough, after the open date, Tennessee was able to recover enough to beat Vanderbilt and then handily beat Kentucky, both of whom would have destroyed Wyoming.

Which was worse, Tennessee losing a game under those circumstances to Wyoming, or Alabama losing to Louisiana Monroe in 2007?

The bama loss was more embarrassing. In fact it was one of the most embarrassing losses in decades for any SEC Team. Wyoming would have beat louisiana-monroe.

The bama loss was more embarrassing. In fact it was one of the most embarrassing losses in decades for any SEC Team. Wyoming would have beat louisiana-monroe.

The Wyoming loss was absolutely dreadful, but you're right, that Louisiana Monroe loss for Alabama was one of the most embarassing for the SEC. The only good thing for UT losing to Wyoming was that it kept UT out of a Bowl Game and allowed Coach Kiffin more time to focus entirely on recruiting.