Holdout Roddy White is working out in Alabama with his former college quarterback, Darrell Hackney, and a personal trainer.

atljbo

Link

Falcons holdout White training in Alabama

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch -- While the Falcons were pressing through a Tuesday morning workout in 90-degree heat, Pro Bowl wide receiver Roddy White was over in Birmingham, Ala., working out.

"We want Roddy here," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said after the morning session.

White, who is the final year of a five-year contract, is holding out from training camp in hopes of landing a contract extension.

He's working out in Birmingham with Darrell Hackney, his former college quarterback and Atlanta native. They are working our with Lance Rhodes, a Birmingham personal trainer.

Hackney, who played at Douglass High school, was recently cut by the Denver Broncos. He's getting ready to play in the United Football League.

There has been little movement on the negotiating front.

"There is nothing new," Dimitroff said. "We are continuing to have conversations. We are definitely heading in the right direction in my mind."

White's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, said "no comment" when asked for an update on the negotiations.

Pursuant to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, White is being fined $15,888 a day. His fine is now up to $63,552.

Dimitroff isn't expecting things to drag out much longer.

"It's been positive," Dimitroff said. "It's not something that has been contentious. I don't assume that it will be. I don't think the numbers are that far off that we'd be considering it to be a long, drawn out ordeal."

Falcons coach Mike Smith wants White in camp, also.

"They guy you're talking about [White] is one of our best 53 players," Smith said. "As a coach you want to get all of your best players here. Hopefully he'll get here soon."

Smith would not indicate if there is a point of no-return for White's hold out, since he's missing a lot of new information.

"It's not the idea situation," Smith said. "But in regards to what's going on, we just wish that Roddy was here with us."

"It's been positive," Dimitroff said. "It's not something that has been contentious. I don't assume that it will be. I don't think the numbers are that far off that we'd be considering it to be a long, drawn out ordeal."

Good news. I trust TD's word over anybody's. GET ER DONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE! :D

Good news. I trust TD's word over anybody's. GET ER DONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNE! :D

This hasn't been an ugly holdout like there has been the past few summers with players. No one is name calling or overly complaining to the media. Hopefully it gets resolved amicably.

Link

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

Flowery Branch -- While the Falcons were pressing through a Tuesday morning workout in 90-degree heat, Pro Bowl wide receiver Roddy White was over in Birmingham, Ala., working out.

"We want Roddy here," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said after the morning session.

White, who is the final year of a five-year contract, is holding out from training camp in hopes of landing a contract extension.

He's working out in Birmingham with Darrell Hackney, his former college quarterback and Atlanta native. They are working our with Lance Rhodes, a Birmingham personal trainer.

Hackney, who played at Douglass High school, was recently cut by the Denver Broncos. He's getting ready to play in the United Football League.

"There is nothing new," Dimitroff said. "We are continuing to have conversations. We are definitely heading in the right direction in my mind."

White's agent, Jonathan Feinsod, said "no comment" when asked for an update on the negotiations.

Pursuant to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, White is being fined $15,888 a day. His fine is now up to $63,552.

"They guy you're talking about [White] is one of our best 53 players," Smith said. "As a coach you want to get all of your best players here. Hopefully he'll get here soon."

Smith would not indicate if there is a point of no-return for White's hold out, since he's missing a lot of new information.

"It's not the idea situation," Smith said. "But in regards to what's going on, we just wish that Roddy was here with us."

Smith is starting to get a little irritated with the situation, it appears.

I don't blame him. We were all set to have a prolific offense and then this distraction came along. Also, I wish Roddy was in Atlanta working out. If the contract got signed right now, he's nearly 2 1/2 hours away.

I don't read it that way.I see a coach who is considering the players who are in camp. To say "I can't wait to give Roddy the hug he deserves" would be the wrong message to send to the ones who are meeting their obligations. He's giving a measured thought out response to a question he knew was coming.

This isn't far from a typical media recreation to me. I prefer to go easy on reading between the lines.

As I mentioned yesterday, their is plenty to be positive about in this holdout. It is not what you want, but it isn't all bad.

i think he's just tired of answering questions about it. if you heard smitty when he said it d.led had asked him the 3rd roddy question in a row after smitty said he didnt have anything new to report.

Yeah I would agree with that. Smith is the one who would have that information anyway.

jonathonfeinsod_small.jpg

Jonathan Feinsod

Office (914) 939-7895

Fax (914) 939-5355

jonathan@sffootball.net

Quick Facts

I am currently residing in Rye Brook, New York with my wife Lara and our two sons, Jesse (11) and Brett (8). I attended undergraduate school at New England College (1980-1981) and Boston University (1982-1984), receiving a B.S.B.A., majoring in Finance. While attending New England College on an ice hockey scholarship, our team reached the semi-finals in the NCAA tournament.

Since 1994, I have been a certified NFL Contract Advisor. During this period, with my partner, Neil S. Schwartz, we have negotiated over $750,000,000 (Seven Hundred Fifty Million) in NFL Player Contracts.

http://www.sffootball.net/firm.asp?Staff_ID=1

Link

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

Typical AJC. Learn to proofread D Led....

How is it better working out on your own, with a local crew risking injury rather than going to camp? Just go to camp and tell TD you want a contract even though you are in camp, and lets get it done before the season.

If you are doing true workouts, you still run the risk of injury, and with a hold out, you would be put on the PUP list rather than the football injury list. I doubt they would cut him if he was hurt in camp, but they might cut losses if he is hurt on his own while holding out.

Also the training crew at camp would be light years ahead of anything available to Roddy by himself at his old college. So if he was hurt in camp he would have much better medical care, and ability to get good information quickly versus hoping you get it right on your own.

How is it better working out on your own, with a local crew risking injury rather than going to camp? Just go to camp and tell TD you want a contract even though you are in camp, and lets get it done before the season.

If you are doing true workouts, you still run the risk of injury, and with a hold out, you would be put on the PUP list rather than the football injury list. I doubt they would cut him if he was hurt in camp, but they might cut losses if he is hurt on his own while holding out.

Also the training crew at camp would be light years ahead of anything available to Roddy by himself at his old college. So if he was hurt in camp he would have much better medical care, and ability to get good information quickly versus hoping you get it right on your own.

his reps don't want him at camp until a deal done.