Eric Berry on Georgia recruiting

falcon_91

Class ends at 11 a.m., and Berry discusses his recruitment three years ago out of Creekside High School in Fairburn, Ga., while waiting for a magazine shoot at Neyland Stadium.

"I guess I just felt like Georgia thought they had me in the bag, and they didn't even know about me and I was in their backyard," Berry says. "I remember when I went on my recruiting visit, coach [Mark] Richt had my name and stats written on his hand. I guess he thought I didn't see it or something, but I did.

"They were talking to me about playing wide receiver; they didn't even know my position was safety and quarterback. That really made me upset. Coach Kiffin [who then was at USC], he came with Pete Carroll and the running backs coach and they knew all about me. And I was in Georgia's backyard.

"But all the talk was about Caleb King [now a sophomore at Georgia]. I guess that's why I always favored Tennessee. They always recruited me hard and let me know what I meant to them. That hurt my feelings, I'm not even going to lie. But I love Mark Richt, love his staff. Him and coach [Rodney] Garner, because they're the ones that recruited me. They're both good men. I was just like, 'Dang.' I just felt like you need to be in your backyard. I just felt like [they] needed to know a little something about me. A few more phone calls or something."

a day in the life of Eric Berry

For a universal top 5 player in the country thats in your back yard pretty damning stuff, I'm not syaing Richt should be perfect but a cheat sheet?

plus who would UGA rather now King or Berry :lol:

Good thing there are records out there about what you say.

UGA was recruiting him both ways- giving him the Champ Bailey pitch. we mainly wanted his as a DB, but wanted him to get a few touches on O as well.

"It is all still the same really," Berry said. "I am going to visit Georgia, Southern Cal, Tennessee, and Ohio State. Those four and Auburn are my top five."

"I haven't set up dates with any of them yet, so I am not sure when the visits will take place."

Those schools are still really after Berry.

"All of them are recruiting me hard still," he said. "I get the calls once a week from all those schools and everything is the same right now."

Everything, but one thing is the same. Berry says one school is coming at him a little differently.

"Georgia has really made it clear to me that they need me as a play-maker since they lost a few games," said a laughing Berry. "They have told me that they want me to play both ways and they need me as a play-maker."

In an earlier article, Berry spends 45 minutes with our DB coach and complains that he didn't meet any O coaches. so you think this is some revisionist history?

"I met up with Coach Garner first and after I talked to him, he took me to Coach Richt. I talked to Coach Richt for a minute and he let me know how he wanted me there. He just shared his feeling about me coming there really."

"After Coach Richt, I went and spent some time with Coach Martinez. I talked to him for about 45-minutes. He talked to my mom for a while too. Coach Martinez went over all the guys he has coached that went into the NFL. He just made his pitch really."

Berry has been told he will play both ways at Georgia, but he is not so sure of that right now.

"They tell me I can play defensive back and wide receiver or whatever, but they didn't let me talk to any offensive coaches. I am not sure if they are just telling me that or what," Berry said.

Yeah the same berry who said that he wishes he had picked uga over tennessee and that uga was on him too hard to commit to them.

So berry is lying now or berry was lying then. Georgia was all over berry from the beginning. I guess kiffin can't get people to believe uga has fallen asleep in Georgia, so he is now asking his players to lie about the recruiting process. Your title of the thread should be what kiffin told berry to say about uga recruiting or volunteer legacy with a chip on his shoulder.. lol

I like the fact that he talks about how coach Carroll and Kiffen knew everything about him coming in which really impressed him but he still chose the team that his dad played for... and now so has his little brother and his quote is "all I've ever known is Tennessee" so it just makes you wonder....

I like how he got in the subtle compliment for Kiffykins too. And yeah, I think the guy is embellishing a little in hindsight. I saw him at the Georgia /Tennessee game in 2006 and believe me, our coahces paid him more attention than any recruit in the building. And really, the guy's Dad played for Fulmer at Tennessee. It's not like he grew up a UGA fan and we turned him off. I guess this balances out his telling ESPN that he learns from watching Reshad Jones play safety.

Maybe he could talk to Jabari Davis about how to cope.

Why is he being metioned in this thread?

Everybody has busts. Davis was one of UT's biggest in the past 10 years. He had two good runs in his 4 years and all he was good for was short yardage situations.

I remember Georgia fans posting about how great Danny Ware was going to be before the 2004 season and didn't do much of anything down there. Some jokers even said he would be the next Herschel Walker.

Why is he being metioned in this thread?

Everybody has busts. Davis was one of UT's biggest in the past 10 years. He had two good runs in his 4 years and all he was good for was short yardage situations.

I remember Georgia fans posting about how great Danny Ware was going to be before the 2004 season and didn't do much of anything down there. Some jokers even said he would be the next Herschel Walker.

oh heck you can say that about any team and their fans.. lol.. i never heard anyone makes comments about danny ware and herschel in the same sentence and i read a lot of uga stuff.. now that isn't to say some people don't make ridiculous comparisons.. the one thing i will say is danny ware is still in the nfl and his teammates are talking big about him and about how great he has been this offseason..

oh heck you can say that about any team and their fans.. lol.. i never heard anyone makes comments about danny ware and herschel in the same sentence and i read a lot of uga stuff.. now that isn't to say some people don't make ridiculous comparisons.. the one thing i will say is danny ware is still in the nfl and his teammates are talking big about him and about how great he has been this offseason..

There were plenty who made the comparison, but you are talking about the fringe crazies. You know, the ones that also said that Caleb King, Richard Samuel, Kregg Lumpkin, Musa Smith, Dontavious Jackson and now Washaun Ealey were the next Herschel.

Who is Danny playing for anyway?

And all of this is relevant now how?

Something to talk about :)

To be honest i just thought the stats on the hand was plain out cheesy, i fyou dont know them before he gets there read them constantly for 5 minutes beofre he gets there and use what sticks lol

I like the fact that he talks about how coach Carroll and Kiffen knew everything about him coming in which really impressed him but he still chose the team that his dad played for... and now so has his little brother and his quote is "all I've ever known is Tennessee" so it just makes you wonder....

Makes you wonder what?

listen you are going to have 3 losing seasons out of the last 5 you have to reach for something with the football season coming around the corner.. you know ut's fun time is the offseason right now.. ;) :P

Hey, give us a break. Right now we're undefeated. 0-0 is probably as good as it's gonna get for while. :D

There were plenty who made the comparison, but you are talking about the fringe crazies. You know, the ones that also said that Caleb King, Richard Samuel, Kregg Lumpkin, Musa Smith, Dontavious Jackson and now Washaun Ealey were the next Herschel.

Who is Danny playing for anyway?

Jets I think...

As the guy who brought up Jabari, here's my reason. It wasn't because he was a bust. In fact, you'll never hear me say that about a kid who stays on the team for 3 + years and stays out of trouble for the most part. College football is a tough business, and numerically speaking there's just no way every 4 or 5 star prospect can be first team All-American.

No, I brought up Jabari because when he left Tucker High School for the University of Tennessee it was because, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I want to play for a national championship and Tennessee has a better chance of doing that than Georgia." He then booked one way passage on the USS Fulmer, and never played in so much an SEC Title game. Had he gone to Georgia, he could have played in more than one.