This is why we will win a SUPER BOWL under Coach Smith

Xfactor

I know this is on the front page but for those who did not read the article it's so telling what a special head coach we have in Mike Smith. In my opinion he will be "THE COACH" to finally bring a Super Bowl win and trophy to Atlanta for the first time in franchise history. Unlike Mora who would fall to his knees after a bad play, that must have so been inspiring to our players and now seems silly compared to Coach Smith.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Head Coach Mike Smith said the Falcons handled their first hitting in full pads of training camp “really well” and that the team “worked hard” in Monday morning’s session, but reserved final judgment for after he had reviewed the videotape.

Smith said Monday morning’s hitting would be one of the toughest practices of the year.

From the sounds of it, the players had to do it twice to get it right.

Fullback Ovie Mughelli said that once Smith saw the intensity that the players brought over the final two or three plays of a 9-on-7 drill, Smith told them to start the whole drill over again and to do it from the start with the same intensity.

"Guys started getting blown back off the ball,” Mughelli said. Smith “said, ‘OK, this is how good you guys can do.’ We kind of showed our hand and showed what we can do the last two or three reps. He said, ‘Let’s start all over again with that high intensity y’all had the last two or three reps. Do it for the whole period.’

“But it was fun. It got the blood flowing, got the intensity up.”

Mughelli said Smith thought the first effort was “average” or “above average.”

“Coach doesn’t accept anything but the best from us and that’s why we’re that good and that’s who he is,” Mughelli said. “He’s not going to let us slide by on mediocrity.”

The second time around, the players got it right. Mughelli described it as “flying around, hitting, growling, snarling, popping pads.”

Rookie safety William Moore, the team’ second-round draft pick, said the hitting was “refreshing,” as he had not hit since the Senior Bowl.

“Physically, these guys are big and strong just like you are,” he said of the adjustment from college to the pros. “So you have to get in and fix the little things, like the little rotation in my hips. Small stuff like that [will] make me last long.”

Smith said he is looking forward to how the team fares on Wednesday, the third consecutive day of hitting.

“It was very spirited,” Smith said of the practice. “It was the first practice in pads and they should be. The big key for us is to see where we’re at mentally in camp is Wednesday when we have our third day of padded practices.”

I too, like Smitty as our coach. Makes me wonder how a guy this good took so long to get a head coaching position. It's like getting a really good player in the 3rd round of the draft- everyone overlooked him for some reason and now that we got him everyone else is "#$%@, we messed up passing on him!" He just seems to have all the elements of a classic coach-, hard-nosed, fair, and rewarding of those that does what he asks. I can't see how anyone wouldn't want to bust through a wall for him... ^_^ We may or may not get to the SB this year, but it won't be long with Smitty at the helm.

It is very rare to see a negative off-season article.

you obviously didn't know how to read last off-season <_< it was always a different kind of positive talk. it was more like, "this year we won't do this wrong". now it's geared more towards, "this year we'll do this right by..."

you obviously didn't know how to read last off-season <_< it was always a different kind of positive talk. it was more like, "this year we won't do this wrong". now it's geared more towards, "this year we'll do this right by..."

You'll notice I said "very rare", not impossible. You obviously don't deal in anything less than absolutes. Last year is unique, because, well, nothing like that has ever happened before. Remember how Petrino's offense was "more complicated" and "would give our playmakers more chances to make plays?" Or how about Jim Mora and his "chemistry with Michael Vick"?

What we read in August doesn't have **** to do with what happens in November. If anything, last season is proof of that.

Man this guy is a great coach, from what I heard Mora was not the same coach as he was in the 04 season as he was after that, they said he started to slack.

But how do we know that dude? All we know about Mike Smith has come from carefully selected quotes, interviews, and soundbites. He did great last season, and there's no reason to believe he will let up, but I felt the same way about Mora too.

I think one of the things fans don't realize is that pretty much everything we hear about our team has been released by the team, or approved in some way. Writers who get too critical lose their locker room access awful quick.

You'll notice I said "very rare", not impossible. You obviously don't deal in anything less than absolutes. Last year is unique, because, well, nothing like that has ever happened before. Remember how Petrino's offense was "more complicated" and "would give our playmakers more chances to make plays?" Or how about Jim Mora and his "chemistry with Michael Vick"?

What we read in August doesn't have **** to do with what happens in November. If anything, last season is proof of that.

lol, i would dig up all the negative off-seasons franchises, including the Falcons, have had in the media, but my point has already been made. anyways, you remember how Petrino would fix the problems Mora had brought, or how Mora would FIX his chemistry with Vick, and how Vick would study tapes this year, he promises? or how our big free agent signing would always turn us around?(Peerless Price, Ed Hartwell, Lawyer Milloy). there isn't any of that this year. it's, "we did this right last year, here's how we'll improve on that". even when Vick took us to the eastern conference game, there was always talk about how Vick didn't prepare enough, plus that off-season was much more turbulent. if you can't tell a difference in overall emotion and outlook in this off-season, that separates itself from our past off-seasons, then yet again, you obviously didn't know how to read last off-season, or any of our subsequent previous off-seasons. ^_^

Dude maybe you're young but all thru the 80's and most of the 90's (outside of '98) there was A LOT of negativity in articles. Deion being let go, Jamaal Anderson going down, and don't let me start on the Jerry Glanville era. We were the freaking joke in any and every article in the media world. I mean this has been, up til now, the mantra of the Falcons. It has not only NOT been "very rare" but "very regular".

lol, i would dig up all the negative off-seasons franchises, including the Falcons, have had in the media, but my point has already been made. anyways, you remember how Petrino would fix the problems Mora had brought, or how Mora would FIX his chemistry with Vick, and how Vick would study tapes this year, he promises? or how our big free agent signing would always turn us around?(Peerless Price, Ed Hartwell, Lawyer Milloy). there isn't any of that this year. it's, "we did this right last year, here's how we'll improve on that". even when Vick took us to the eastern conference game, there was always talk about how Vick didn't prepare enough, plus that off-season was much more turbulent. if you can't tell a difference in overall emotion and outlook in this off-season, that separates itself from our past off-seasons, then yet again, you obviously didn't know how to read last off-season, or any of our subsequent previous off-seasons. ^_^

I have to say this is on point. Anyone that has kept up with the Falcons knows that its more "very rare" to have an off season WITHOUT negativity than the other way around.

^_^

All Im saying is, find me quotes from players in August that are badmouthing a coach, saying "yeah, he lets us get by with half intensity". Find me quotes from beat writers in August saying "oh, these guys have no idea what is going on, this coach is a moron". Find some anecdotes from an NFL team's front page saying "the team ran a terrible drill, and the coach was satisfied with the effort".

You point to these descriptions as evidence this team is super bowl ready, but I say that August is the time for optimism, unfettered by reality.

What I like about Smitty:

-Makes good decisions.

-Demands 100% effort without disrespecting the players.

-Eye for talent

-Shows tremendous trust in his teams (going for it on 4ths last season)

-A "players coach", but not as chummy as Mora

There seems to be a mutual respect between coaches and players, as well as a strive for more perfection. I think a lot of that has to do with getting rid of a few bad apples and distractions and bringing in a lot more positive brand of players. I think Mularkey is a big help as well (from his former Steeler and head coaching days). Edit: also his relationship with Brian Billick.

Tough to find things to not like.

What I like about Smitty:

-Makes good decisions.

-Demands 100% effort without disrespecting the players.

-Eye for talent

-Shows tremendous trust in his teams (going for it on 4ths last season)

-A "players coach", but not as chummy as Mora

There seems to be a mutual respect between coaches and players, as well as a strive for more perfection. I think a lot of that has to do with getting rid of a few bad apples and distractions and bringing in a lot more positive brand of players. I think Mularkey is a big help as well (from his former Steeler and head coaching days). Edit: also his relationship with Brian Billick.

Tough to find things to not like.

That is the thing I like the most

I too, like Smitty as our coach. Makes me wonder how a guy this good took so long to get a head coaching position.

Simple. Smitty is the only head coach in the NFL that doesn't have an agent.

While most HC candidates hire representatives to drum up excitement about their names and seek out possible coaching gigs, Smitty was busy being a football coach and expecting his reputation to get him a shot at HC.