2007 1st rd Class of DE's Busts All Around?

Jesus

Have fun with this:

Link

TAMPA - Bucs defensive end Gaines Adams understands this has to be his year.

Nobody cares about his love for McDonald's hamburgers as a rookie. No more excuses about still learning the position. No one is concerned about the productivity of any other Tampa Bay defensive lineman.

The expectations for Adams during this year's training camp for the 2009 season are clear.

"Double-digit sacks," Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris said. "That is what he is going to be graded on. There is no secret about it. I got no problem telling Gaines, 'If you don't do it this year, you're going to be considered a bust.'"

Adams was the fourth overall pick by Tampa Bay in 2007. He had six sacks as a rookie. Last year, Adams had 6.5. Of course, his struggles are nothing compared to other first-round defensive ends chosen after him that year.

Jamaal Anderson was taken eighth overall by Atlanta and, after registering two sacks in two years, is considered a major bust. Meanwhile, Jarvis Moss went to Denver with the 17th pick and he has only 3.5 sacks in two seasons.

Although Adams has a total of 12.5 sacks, far exceeding his draft classmates, he is not happy.

"I'm Gaines Adams and those guys are themselves," Adams said. "I can't worry about what they do because they are not on my team. I wish the best for those guys, but I have to take care of myself."

Coaches and players have told Adams his biggest concern should be taking a different pass rushing approach.

Adams (6-foot-5 and 258 pounds) used his speed to have a successful college career at Clemson, but realizes he needs more than just one move to become a dominant NFL defensive end.

"His first two years, Gaines' game has been predicated on speed, getting to the edge on guys, getting off the ball and beating guys to the set point," Bucs defensive tackle Chris Hovan said. "He realizes now if you are going against elite tackles in this league, you just can't run around guys. He knows this. It's been dictated to him in meetings and in the media. Gaines is ready for that."

Adams is now ready to use a combination of speed and power to become an effective pass rusher.

Houston defensive end Mario Williams had only 4.5 sacks as a rookie in 2006. Once he understood the need for versatility, Williams went from potential bust to 14 sacks in 2007 and 12 last season. Tampa Bay is optimistic Adams can have similar gain in productivity.

"If you only have speed, then those big tackles, when the ball is coming out from the quarterback on his five-step throw at 6 or 51/2 yards, it's a tight corner," Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Jim Bates said. "If you have speed, they kind of run you right through the tackle. That's what young defensive ends have to learn.

"This is a big man's league. And if he can't bring power, if he can't bring speed and power, or use his hands, then speed won't get you many sacks in this league."

It also will not help Adams have the breakthrough year he desires and coaches and fans expect.

"Every football player out here wants to be the best," Adams said. "It's not bad to have high expectations for yourself. Rookie, second year, third year, I still have high dreams."

Sometimes NFL scouts outsmart themselves. I still don't see how some of these guys were first round picks and a guy with more physical ability and almost as much production in college like Michael Johnson for Georgia Tech was a 3rd round pick. He may not do that much in the NFL, but the 2007 class did not set the bar very high in comparison.

"Jamaal Anderson was taken eighth overall by Atlanta and, after registering two sacks in two years, is considered a major bust"

that sentence alone could generate a 10 page "debate" between gazoo and falconsfansince1970

hahahaha i was anticipating a gazoo post discrediting this writer or a falconfansince1970 "Busterton" rant

P-Dub Posted Today, 12:24 PM

"Jamaal Anderson was taken eighth overall by Atlanta and, after registering two sacks in two years, is considered a major bust"

that sentence alone could generate a 10 page "debate" between gazoo and falconsfansince1970

Oh just you wait a while. I can see this thread going for at least ten pages......

I personally would love to see Gazoo go on a 10 page rage with this.

Considering the MrOffseason has chimed in, I will add mine.

If you think JA98 is a bust, just wait till you watch BJ Raji get

punked this season..

BJ was a big ol boy in Div I, but now he is in the NFL and

when somebody like Dahl or worse lays a slobberknocker

on Zesto, he is going to be crying on the bench like a little.......

how did he go out?

he went out like a .......... :lol:

Oh yeah double stack that order in 2010 for Mt Cody.

Gawwwwd that is going to be all seven shades of Urrgly!

punked this season..

how did he go out?

Hmmmm.....According to Morris, I guess an NFL DE is measured by how many sacks he gets. An NFL coach said this.

So much for that argument that JA98 makes a big difference on the field even if he doesn't get a sack.

punked this season..

how did he go out?

Oh yeah double stack that order in 2010 for Mt Cody.

Gawwwwd that is going to be all seven shades of Urrgly!

...wtf?

No. it would just be fraud hating

which is all the old fraud does. sad really

Hmmmm.....According to Morris, I guess an NFL DE is measured by how many sacks he gets. An NFL coach said this.

So much for that argument that JA98 makes a big difference on the field even if he doesn't get a sack.

JA may indeed end up a bust. But the two players play different positions, so the sack numbers should probably favor Adams. Either way, this is the make or break year for JA98.