Has anyone observed Spencer Adkins/ Robert James?

chris30277

Well Adkins certainly passes the eyeball test.

He is physically the most imposing linebacker we have.

He looks like he walked right out of a comic book.

His measurables are off the chart ... and at 250ish ... he has the girth to play MLB.

Robert James is the opposite. Too small to play linebacker and too stocky to play strong safety.

Nevertheless the FO was intrigued by his college production so there may be more to him.

Adkins clearly has the most physical potential.

Well Adkins certainly passes the eyeball test.

He is physically the most imposing linebacker we have.

He looks like he walked out right out of a comic book.

His measurables are off the chart ... and at 250ish ... he has the girth to play MLB.

Robert James is the opposite. Too small to play linebacker and too stocky to play strong safety.

Nevertheless the FO was intrigued by his college production so there may be more to him.

Adkins clearly has the most physical potential.

I would certainly like to know more about them when they are involved in contact drills

I have been looking for some specifics on him, but I have not seen anything. Do you think the signing of Jamie Winborn is because we are not happy with Adkins/James behind Peterson?

I think Winborn provides some vet coverage skills to our linebaker corps.

We are taking a chance on Lofton being able to play passing downs and Nicholas being solid in coverage.

With Winborn we have some flexibility (Winborn had as many passes defended last year as Brooking and Boley combined).

If Lofton can not handle coverage ... Peterson can move to MLB and Winborn can take the weakside.

If Nicholas does not display adequate coverage skills ... he provides flexibility there as well.

I have been looking for some specifics on him, but I have not seen anything. Do you think the signing of Jamie Winborn is because we are not happy with Adkins/James behind Peterson?

Winborn can play all 3 positions and I think he is here for competition with Gilbert for MLB not to compete with Adkins and James

I just do not know where Miles fits in.

They usually keep 6 and have 9 on the roster now so 3 are going. Of course they could put James or Adkins on the PS But I believe it would be risky especially for Adkins.

Of course since Winborn, Peterson, and Wire play all 3 positions they may go with less than 6.

Just a list of who's on the roster now

Nicholas Wire Miles

Lofton Winborn Gilbert

Peterson Adkins James

We are taking a chance on Lofton being able to play passing downs and Nicholas being solid in coverage.

With Winborn we have some flexibility (Winborn had as many passes defended last year as Brooking and Boley combined).

If Lofton can not handle coverage ... Peterson can move to MLB and Winborn can take the weakside.

If Nicholas does not display adequate coverage skills ... he provides flexibility there as well.

I am just having a hard time thinking we are going to keep 7 LB's on the roster

WLB: Peterson, Winborn

MILB: Lofton, Gilbert

SLB: Wire, Nicholas

I would much rather keep Spencer Adkins over Tony Gilbert, because he has a higher ceiling.

I would love to see:

WLB: Peterson, Adkins

MLB: Lofton, Winborn

spencer looked solid at LB on 08-02-09, not amazing but solid. his speed makes up for his youth and he can really get after they QB and make tackles. he has above average foot speed and his recognition is getting better

i think our coaches are extremely satisfied with our LB the additions are strickly for depth and pass coverage.

b/c adkins is young he will most likely rushing the passer or in on run downs

WLB: Peterson, Winborn

MILB: Lofton, Gilbert

I would much rather keep Spencer Adkins over Tony Gilbert, because he has a higher ceiling.

I would love to see:

I think you are going to get your wish ... with Nicholas of course starting over wire.

I think Adkins will be cross trained at MLB as well.

I'm still puzzled a year later over the Robert James selection. I guess they drafted him as a special teams ace. He seems entirely too small to contibute on defense.

You are confusing me BlueDevils ===DUKE

But you have Auburn (excuse me, Clemson without a lake) up there

You are confusing me BlueDevils ===DUKE

But you have Auburn (excuse me, Clemson without a lake) up there

I'm a big Duke basketball fan, and bluedevilx34 was my old aol screen name from years ago, and I just used it when I registered to the board. That was at least 5 or six years ago. I lost my post count in the transition to the new board. However, I graduated from Auburn in May of 2008 and am obviously a big AU football fan. I've just never thought about changing my screen name here, everyone knows me by it. Though I suppose I could, since I'm not really a bluedevil . . .

I'm a big Duke basketball fan, and bluedevilx34 was my old aol screen name from years ago, and I just used it when I registered to the board. That was at least 5 or six years ago. I lost my post count in the transition to the new board. However, I graduated from Auburn in May of 2008 and am obviously a big AU football fan. I've just never thought about changing my screen name here, everyone knows me by it. Though I suppose I could, since I'm not really a bluedevil . . .

I'm OK with the name man just interested in why the contrast GO WAKE

I would love to see:

I like this group of LB, except Nicholas would be starting and Wire on the Bench

I know you've been there ... so what are your Adkins-observations so far?

Honestly man i was focusing on the D-line, WR's and the secondary , mainly the secondary. I didnt pay much attention to the 2nd team LB because Owens, Jackson and Middleton were on the field, add to that the commotion that i had going on all around me it prevent me from my eyes being on all over the field like last time. I will make sure i take notes on the LB core when i got to the Friday Morning Practice. ;)

It was mentioned that Wilborn will get significant snaps at the SLB position, but if Peterson were to get moved to the MLB, he's versatile enough to switch to the WLB...in Denver, he started at SLB though. In saying that, the LB depth chart would look like this...

WLB: (1) Peterson (2) Wire

MLB: (1) Lofton

SLB: (1) Nicholas (2) Winborn (3) Adkins

All of our LBs are versatile enough to handle multiple positions, although I think Lofton and Nicholas are the only players that aren't being rotated across the position or cross-trained heavily. Also, I think we release both Gilbert and James by next cuts.

It was mentioned that Wilborn will get significant snaps at the SLB position, but if Peterson were to get moved to the MLB, he's versatile enough to switch to the WLB...in Denver, he started at SLB though. In saying that, the LB depth chart would look like this...

WLB: (1) Peterson (2) Wire

MLB: (1) Lofton

SLB: (1) Nicholas (2) Winborn (3) Adkins

All of our LBs are versatile enough to handle multiple positions, although I think Lofton and Nicholas are the only players that aren't being rotated across the position or cross-trained heavily. Also, I think we release both Gilbert and James by next cuts.

I'm like that Line up-- but I think they will keep James until final cuts and then sign him to the PS

James was never on the active roster, he was on injuried reserve last year, so i think he is still eligilbe.

The Falcons drafted 8 players in 09 but I like to think they actually got 10 since James and Brown came back and are also basically rookies this year.

The Falcons drafted 8 players in 09 but I like to think they actually got 10 since James and Brown came back and are also basically rookies this year.

I think Brown has potential based on what i say in preseason last year and this year, but i dont know much about James so i will wait and see, but he still might get cut, but I dont see him on the 53 man roster this year.

I know But I do not think that being on "Injured Reserve" the entire season is the same as being "Active" an entire season

being on IR is not on the 53 man roster

Doh! That's right...I completely forgot he was on the IR...you have a point there...I can see that playing out.