Just to stir up some discussion.....

Scott da 6'0

Let's say this team plays unbelievable baseball for the final two months of the season and sneaks into the playoffs. How would *YOU* set up the rotation for the first round (best-of-5)?

I've thought long and hard about this, but I keep flip-flopping. I think I'd have to go with Javy as the Game 1 starter just because he's been so consistent this season and he can always get a K to get out of a jam. It then gets interesting with JJ, Lowe, and even Hanson. You've got Lowe who has all kinds of playoff experience and success, but has gotten knocked around in a few starts this year. Then you have JJ who is quickly becoming one of the best young pitchers in baseball, but he can get himself in trouble by falling behind hitters and leaving some pitches up. And lastly you have Hanson who in the majority of his starts has been awesome. He also has the advantage of being a guy who hasn't been seen very much around the league.

For me:

1. Javy

2. JJ

3. Lowe

4. Hanson

I'd be very tempted to let Hanson pitch Game 3 ahead of Lowe. If the team had a 2-1 series lead after 3 games, I'd have no problem with Hanson going for the series win in Game 4.

Thoughts?

Depends on how well Hudson pitches when he comes back he could be valuable out of the pen or if he comes back and dominates as a starter I wouldnt be all that shocked to see the rotation shape out as

1. Javy

2. JJ

3. Hudson

4. Lowe

With Hanson in the bullpen

No way Lowe pitches 4th with all his playoff experience

No way Lowe pitches 4th with all his playoff experience

Maybe, but this is about how "YOU" would set up the rotation. It seems like Lowe is good for about 6-7 and 3 runs in most starts. That's great, but if we're fortunate enough to make the playoffs, we'll be running into the Chad Billingsley's, Tim Lincecum's, Matt Cain's, Chris Carpenter's, etc. Hanson has the capability of going out there even as a rookie and dominating.

Maybe, but this is about how "YOU" would set up the rotation. It seems like Lowe is good for about 6-7 and 3 runs in most starts. That's great, but if we're fortunate enough to make the playoffs, we'll be running into the Chad Billingsley's, Tim Lincecum's, Matt Cain's, Chris Carpenter's, etc. Hanson has the capability of going out there even as a rookie and dominating.

Lowe knows how to bring it in the playoffs, i watched him last year in october, he took care of the cubs last year going 6innings only giving up two runs on 7hits. And he did the same agaisnt the phillies. If we cant score 2,3,4 runs in the playoffs do you think we deserve to be there? Our Bats have to come out swinging.

Lowe in the playoffs: 3.33 ERA 5-5 in 21 games 10 starts 83.2 IP 72 hits allowed 31 ER

Javy: 1-1 10.34 ERA 4 games 2 starts 15.2 IP 24 hits allowed 18 ER 18 Ks those starts were in 04 against the Twins and 08 against the Rays he also pitched 2 games in relief against the Red Sox in 04

Lowe in the playoffs: 3.33 ERA 5-5 in 21 games 10 starts 83.2 IP 72 hits allowed 31 ER

Javy: 1-1 10.34 ERA 4 games 2 starts 15.2 IP 24 hits allowed 18 ER 18 Ks

He has had a decision in each of his games, so you know if he has his best stuff or not, these stats also come with his starts w/the red sox.

i think it would depend on the matchups... say we are the wildcard and we face the dodgers... i guess it would be Billingsley, Kershaw, Wolf... im just going from memory... Id go Javy, JJ, Lowe to matchup with that.... that would still leave us Hanson/Huddy in game 4/5 either way that staff should win the series

Here's my list:

Lowe, Javy, JJ, Hanson/Huddy

Now, I'm sure I'll get a few disagreements with me putting Lowe first, but the guy is a straight up postseason pitcher. You cannot discount that for any reason, and we've already seen how well he pitched against the Dodgers a couple of games ago and game 1 in any series is huge, but even more so in a 5 game set. If you take game 1, you are sitting pretty, especially if you are the road team. Javy is 2nd because he's been our best starter this year, and JJ holds down the 3rd spot. Hanson gets the 4th spot because he's been a lot better at home than on the road.

Here's my list:

Lowe, Javy, JJ, Hanson/Huddy

Now, I'm sure I'll get a few disagreements with me putting Lowe first, but the guy is a straight up postseason pitcher. You cannot discount that for any reason, and we've already seen how well he pitched against the Dodgers a couple of games ago and game 1 in any series is huge, but even more so in a 5 game set. If you take game 1, you are sitting pretty, especially if you are the road team. Javy is 2nd because he's been our best starter this year, and JJ holds down the 3rd spot. Hanson gets the 4th spot because he's been a lot better at home than on the road.

yepp Im fine with that

I'd go Lowe, JJ, Javy, then Hanson but with the caveat that if Hanson is pitching lights out in September, I might bump him all the way up to game 2. I stilll remember the fear Avery and Smoltz caused people in the early 90s because they were too young and invincible feeling to know any playoff panic. Hanson is that type of arm.