Woman Drags Child Through Verizon Store

1968again

I bet he'll walk next time

Woman arrested on child cruelty charge

by Jeff Gable

An Alabama woman was arrested Tuesday afternoon after police say she injured a child while dragging it through a store in Rome.

According to Floyd County Jail records:

Melissa Catherine Smith-Means, 37, of Gaylesville, Ala., was arrested by Rome police around 12:30 p.m. She was charged with felony fi More..rst-degree cruelty to children.

Police say she was observed by customers and employees at a store on Broad Street, dragging a small child around by a backpack leash. The child had visible marks on the neck from the incident.

She remains in jail without bail.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was the kid on the floor?

If the kid was pitching a hissy fit and then decided to do the garbage where it sprawls out on the floor and whines and fights, then I am with the parent on this one. Child needs to straighten up, of course I wouldn't leash my child. If my child wants to give me greif, I take it out back and wear that a** out with a belt until he/she gets their butt in line.

Why was the kid on the floor?

If the kid was pitching a hissy fit and then decided to do the garbage where it sprawls out on the floor and whines and fights, then I am with the parent on this one. Child needs to straighten up, of course I wouldn't leash my child. If my child wants to give me greif, I take it out back and wear that a** out with a belt until he/she gets their butt in line.

x2. i live in Rome, so i'm sure the local newspapers are about to blow up with this one....

How can you be on the parent side? So she can't even control her own child? My daughter has thrown little fits like that in stores. But I pick her up and take her to the bathroom and have a "discussion" with her.

For a lot of people I knew growing up, and especially for their parent's growing up, you're lucky to have a "discussion". You pitch a hissy fit in a store, you get smacked up side the head or your a** beat. Most "discussions" I had as a child, you had them with someone's hand around your jaw or began/ended with a smack up side the head. Most kids these days would be better off if they had that.

For a lot of people I knew growing up, and especially for their parent's growing up, you're lucky to have a "discussion". You pitch a hissy fit in a store, you get smacked up side the head or your a** beat. Most "discussions" I had as a child, you had them with someone's hand around your jaw or began/ended with a smack up side the head. Most kids these days would be better off if they had that.

mhm, pretty much what I had as a kid.. only happened a few times. behaved mostly. just because of the beatings.

Warning to parents. Watch how you discipline your children.

This ain't 1975 when you could drag a child thru a Kmart, whip his as a couple times then go home and eat a hamburger.

Most of us oldies remember when parents could get away with anything. Switches, belts, extension cords, full fledge beatdowns. Do that now and go to jail. Trust me.

mhm, pretty much what I had as a kid.. only happened a few times. behaved mostly. just because of the beatings.
Warning to parents. Watch how you discipline your children.

This ain't 1975 when you could drag a child thru a Kmart, whip his as a couple times then go home and eat a hamburger.

Most of us oldies remember when parents could get away with anything. Switches, belts, full fledge beatdowns. Do that now and go to jail. Trust me.

...and we wonder why 99% of kids these days are more or less morons. Of course, I was mostly raised in the 90s. Regardless, when I misbehaved, and rarely did I do so, I would have to go out to the backyard during the spring/summer and find a switch. If it was a pansy one, your parents selected it for you, and that was even worse. If it was winter time, when there wasn't any good switches to use, I got the belt. If I really f*ed up, then I would get beaten and smacked all over the house. If I misbehaved around another family member or in school, I got my butt tore up there, and then I had to come home for round two.

LMAO, me and FFS1970 have something in common besides neither of us downloading music/movies online.

That's true, But my daughter just turned 2. I wouldn't dare smack her or anything like that. A spanking works wonders. And the threat of a spanking works great also

My kids would have been laughing their butts off, having a great time if I did that. As for child abuse, can't see it, unless the child had life threatening injuries from it. She might need counseling, maybe depending on her state of mind when she did it, but unless the child was critically hurt, the state should stay out of it.

But as for discipline, it has to start early and be consistent. You can't change up what you do from day to day and expect kids to know how to behave. My son knows what is allowed and what is not in public, and you can bet it only takes a quiet word to remind him if necessary.

Rule 1: Don't promise/threaten anything you are not going to do.

Meaning don't promise to beat them half to death,when you have no intention of doing so, because why should a child believe you at any time, if you never usually mean it. Promise a spanking, loss of privileges, time in a room/time out chair, but if you promise it deliver it, so be careful what you promise.