Mike Smith, DE Anderson in a fight for starting job

xFalconLord

DE Anderson in battle for starting job

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Flowery Branch — Falcons coach Mike Smith acknowledged that Jamaal Anderson, the eighth player taken in the 2007 draft, is in a fight for his starting position.

Defensive end Chauncey Davis, who re-signed with the team during free agency, is Anderson’s chief competitor.

“That’s accurate to say,” Smith said Monday when asked if Davis was fighting for Anderson’s spot. “We made a commitment to Chauncey in the offseason. We think that you’ve got to have rotational players. You’ve got to have guys that are cross-trained.”

Davis signed a four-year, $14 million contract. Anderson has started 31 games, but only has two sacks. He played some at tackle last season in passing situations.

Davis will also get cross-trained to play some tackle.

“Similarly to what we did with Jamaal last season, when we had him rushing in our [nickel] package inside,” Smith said. “We’d like to expand Chauncey’s role as well and continue to have competition as well. The defensive line is probably the one area that has more rotations.”

Peterson to middle

With Curtis Lofton out with a hamstring injury, Michael Peterson took some reps at middle linebacker in the morning session.

“With Curtis’ situation, I played a little bit inside, but whatever the coaches ask me to do, I’m ready to do,” Peterson said.

Peterson played middle linebacker for the Jaguars the last few seasons, but is slated to play weak side for the Falcons.

Injury corner

Safety Antoine Harris (groin surgery) will have his rehabilitation stepped up.

In addition to Lofton and defensive back Tony Tiller (left ankle), the Falcons are going to limit the action for defensive back Von Hutchins (fractured foot last season) and some veterans including Tony Gonzalez, Todd McClure, Brian Finneran and Peterson.

“They’ll take some days off and some periods off because they are in our over-30 club,” Smith said.

Padded up

The Falcons went through their first practice in full pads during Monday’s morning session.

“These padded practices are long,” Smith said. “There is a lot of hitting going on, and I thought our guys handled it well.”

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Chauncey Davis as a upgrade over Jamaal Anderson imo.

I don't know, while i don't believe Anderson is the virus many people like to think around here, Davis did considerably move the line better in both running and passing situations, from what i've seen(sadly, i wasn't able to watch every game). who knows though

I don't know, while i don't believe Anderson is the virus many people like to think around here, Davis did considerably move the line better in both running and passing situations, from what i've seen(sadly, i wasn't able to watch every game). who knows though

I'm all for an open competition but Anderson was by far better at stopping the run then Davis or Bierman. I think Anderson swapping out more snaps with Sidbury and Davis might just be the wake up call he needs. We'll see...

I don't see Chauncey Davis as a upgrade over Jamaal Anderson imo.
BWAHAHA. I do. Smitty and TD do too. I'm sure Van Gorder does.

Smitty moved Chauncey ahead of Busterson in his last four or five games in pass rushing situations. In those limited snaps Chauncey picked up 4 sacks. Twice Busterson's career total.

Shortly after that TD gave Chauncey a big contract. Did I read Smitty saying we committed to Chauncey in the article? Wow. They committed to Sidbury too.

The writing's on the wall. This is it for Busterson. He better open up a can or he could be ridin pine or gone cause he didn't play DT half as good as Babineaux.

all three are better than JA98 at this point in regards to pass rush

LOL.. with out a doubt .. we could probably throw a couple of message board members and this could be true. I keep but that is a fact as of now he is not a good pass rusher. Although he does provide serviceable pressure.

BWAHAHA. I do. Smitty and TD do too. I'm sure Van Gorder does.

Smitty moved Chauncey ahead of Busterson in his last four or five games in pass rushing situations. In those limited snaps Chauncey picked up 4 sacks. Twice Busterson's career total.

Shortly after that TD gave Chauncey a big contract. Did I read Smitty saying we committed to Chauncey in the article? Wow.

The writing's on the wall. This is it for Busterson. He better open up a can or he could be ridin pine or gone cause he didn't play DT half as good as Babineaux.

read the article where coach Smitty said Anderson was inside at DT on the nickle package .. this happened all season not just the last few games. I even posted a video to prove it to you and like always when you are proven wrong you dissapered with no response. .. It's ok though this just gives me another chance to discredit you again.

read the article where coach Smitty said Anderson was inside at DT on the nickle package .. this happened all season not just the last few games. I even posted a video to prove it to you and like always when you are proven wrong you dissapered with no response. .. It's ok though this just gives me another chance to discredit you again.

We all know that JA98 was pulled on passing situation all season long and put inside, dont worry about Fraud, it is no use continuing to try to explain that to him.

I'm all for an open competition but Anderson was by far better at stopping the run then Davis or Bierman. I think Anderson swapping out more snaps with Sidbury and Davis might just be the wake up call he needs. We'll see...

Quit repeating things you read on this board..

C. Davis had 6 tackles for loss last season against the run game

J. Anderson had 1 tackle for loss

How are you trying to tell me that Anderson was "by far better" against the run??

By what metric are you basic your conclusion?

Quit repeating things you read on this board..

C. Davis had 6 tackles for loss last season against the run game

J. Anderson had 1 tackle for loss

How are you trying to tell me that Anderson was "by far better" against the run??

By what metric are you basic your conclusion?

TFL are not a metric for doing your job against the run. In reality if you are running a defense and everything went according to how you make a play on the run DL would hardly ever have any tackles and LB's would have them.

That stats just shows what we all know about JA98, he sucks at shedding his man which is why he sucks at getting sacks.

TFL are not a metric for doing your job against the run. In reality if you are running a defense and everything went according to how you make a play on the run DL would hardly ever have any tackles and LB's would have them.

That stats just shows what we all know about JA98, he sucks at shedding his man which is why he sucks at getting sacks.

Not being able to shed your defender doesnt help you to well in stopping the run either and prevents him from getting thost TFL.

This is my point exactly.. dont you see where im coming from now?? DLineman are not supposed to be rackin up tackles. They are supposed to on the offense's side of the LOS, and they should be getting some penetrating stats such as TFL, PD, Sacks. The only time I want to see my DL make a standard tackle is when he is chasing the ball from the backside and makes a stop. If the run play is directly at JA98, and he makes a tackle, it tells me the offensive line won the battle and pushed JA98 back.

Dont you agree?