Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atljbo

According to NFL.com, Falcons holdout Roddy White is seeking more money than Greg Jennings got this summer.

148 posts in this topic

Well, if you like to look at number than go play Madden. Because that's all they are good for. Roddy had two terrible years followed by two above average years. Tell me what does he do on the field that makes him so "elite". His speed, ummm no. He is not near the fastest WR we have. His hands, ummm no. He drops more than his share of balls and I've never seen him make anything like the plays that Fitzgerald or Owens or Smith make. His excellent route running skills, ummmm again no. He hits his routes, but he dosent blow CB's off of him and at times he has a hard time finding the openings on the field.

Roddy is no where near an 8 or 9 million a year WR. If you think just because he put up "good" numbers for two years than, well more power to you but I bet the Falcon's front office dosent agree. Any number one reciever in the league is going to draw some double coverages. It's the nature of the number one reciever to get the majority of the balls thrown to him. That's why he's the number one reciever.

And yes, we could replace Roddy. What makes you think that Jenkins could step into the number one role? Jenkins is faster, maybe not as crisp on the routes, but Jenkins is at practice!!!! How about Douglas. From what I hear he is blowing people away at camp so far.

Roddy needs to get his head on straight and realize that he is not the center of the freaking offense and yes, he can be replaced for a whole lot less than 9 million a year. We have two or three very good WR in camp and several other guys that are really hungry.

Jenkins is faster than Roddy, are you on crack? He is easily the fastest WR we have. Roddy White is easily the best WR we have by quite a bit. If you think Jenkins, Douglas, or some no name WR can just "step up" and replace Roddy White then you're hopeless.

The pathetic part about most of you is that you guys are wanting to toss away White when it would take a moron not to consider him a Top 10 WR. He's the first #1 we've had this decade, he just set a franchise record, and he's had two back to back Top 10 seasons with a bunch of no names throwing to him one year, and a rookie throwing to him in a run heavy offense the next.

I know of one that Roddy had, that was in his hands, in the endzone, with no one around him, that cost us the game.

First of all, that was a pretty difficult play. Second of all there are several games that the Falcons don't win without Roddy White last year, and there were other people in the Broncos game that made mistakes that contributed to the loss.

So what do you guys think he is worth??? Really?

I'm think 6.5 to 7.5 million a year with some incentives to reach that 7.5 million mark (maybe less than a certain number of dropped balls). I think 8 million is really strecthing it. Maybe a 5 year deal worth 38 million. Not sure how much I would give him up front. He deserves a decent amount but I don't know what other WR's are getting guaranteed right now.

There is a lot of speculation going on people. Lets not get too excited. Td will get the deal done and he will be back in camp soon…..and to the people saying trade him…. Well I don’t want to be in the Giants, Ravens or Jags shoes.

Side note: Roddy will not get Fitz type money

Last time I'm saying something until he is signed, that's what will happen. We have NO ONE to replace Roddy. Yes, I like Jenkins and HD but neither of them are Roddy. Douglas MIGHT BE one of these days but not yet. We NEED Roddy. If we over pay we over pay... he just better put up the production he's getting paid for in the seasons coming.

Well for one this is not my money they are dealing with so in all honesty I do not care what they pay Roddy. I'm not an idiot and can see for myself Roddy is one of the best WR's ever in a Falcons uniform.

Any players that can get 1200YDs during the 07 season with 4 different QB's and coach that sucks is a legit top 5 NFL WR to me.

So it's not my money, I don't care how much he makes, pay the man and get him back on our team. In two years any contract we sign him to now will look like peanuts as to what the top 10 WR's are getting anyway.

This is silly and as fans we should not be so concerned as to what players are payed, We NEVER have CAP issues, we survived the vick contract issues we will be fine if we over pay Roddy a little to much to stay on our team. In the end it will be worth it.

So what do you guys think he is worth??? Really?

I'm think 6.5 to 7.5 million a year with some incentives to reach that 7.5 million mark (maybe less than a certain number of dropped balls). I think 8 million is really strecthing it. Maybe a 5 year deal worth 38 million. Not sure how much I would give him up front. He deserves a decent amount but I don't know what other WR's are getting guaranteed right now.

He will get more than that just based on the market......

Jenkins is faster than Roddy, are you on crack? He is easily the fastest WR we have. Roddy White is easily the best WR we have by quite a bit. If you think Jenkins, Douglas, or some no name WR can just "step up" and replace Roddy White then you're hopeless.

The pathetic part about most of you is that you guys are wanting to toss away White when it would take a moron not to consider him a Top 10 WR. He's the first #1 we've had this decade, he just set a franchise record, and he's had two back to back Top 10 seasons with a bunch of no names throwing to him one year, and a rookie throwing to him in a run heavy offense the next.

Okay, yeah Roddy ran a 4.45 and Jenkins ran a 4.53, but douglas ran sub 4.4's until the combine where he ran a 4.47. If you believe that crap is really important. Jenkins is quicker than White. Watch a game.

First of all, that was a pretty difficult play. Second of all there are several games that the Falcons don't win without Roddy White last year, and there were other people in the Broncos game that made mistakes that contributed to the loss.

I know. I'm over that. Just saying that elite #1 receivers don't drop passes in their hands in the endzone.

Explain how Roddy White put up better numbers?

Last year:

Roddy: 88 Catches 1382 Yds 15.7 AVG 4.4 YAC 7 TD's

Greg Jennings: 80 Catches 1292 Yds 16.2 AVG 4.8 YAC 9 TD's

Last 2 years:

Roddy: 13 TD's in 32 games

Greg Jennings: 21 TD's in 29 games

Greg Jennings is better than Roddy.

RODDY WHITE IS NOT WORTH 8 MILLION. 10 MILLION IS LAUGHABLE :lol:

DIMI WILL NOT BUDGE / STUTTER

good post - the guy that said Roddy was "clearly better" than Greg Jennings is an Arss Hat.

I won't say that Jennings is better - i will say that Jennings and Roddy are on the same level - Jennings was overpaid on his deal at $9 milllion/season but at least they kept it at a 3 year deal - I would offer Roddy the same deal - if he thinks he is #2 WR in all of the NFL, then Roddy should relish the shorter contract.

Roddy and his agent are trying to "hijack" the Falcons because they know Arthur Blank/Dimitroff/Smith and company are going for playing at the highest level with SB aspirations. Screw Roddy - I don't blame him for trying to get a deal done this year and protect himself and family with security - but trying to get more than you are worth - sorry, homie don't play dat game. <_<

the falcons are in the drivers seat. if he wants to sit out the whole year, let him. at 16 or $17,000 a day, he will owe in fines what he would have made in 09. technically it costs us nothing for him to sit out the whole year if thats what he REALLY wants to do. this way he does not run the risk of injury or a down year lowering his bargaining power for 2010 when he is a free agent.

If he refuses to take what we offered which I'm sure was a very respectable amount I say it's not unreasonable to talk trade. There is a player out there who can take his place and a team that might want to pay him LF type money. I just don't think our success lays with Mr. White, no way.

Explain how Roddy White put up better numbers?

Last year:

Roddy: 88 Catches 1382 Yds 15.7 AVG 4.4 YAC 7 TD's

Greg Jennings: 80 Catches 1292 Yds 16.2 AVG 4.8 YAC 9 TD's

Last 2 years:

Roddy: 13 TD's in 32 games

Greg Jennings: 21 TD's in 29 games

Greg Jennings is better than Roddy.

RODDY WHITE IS NOT WORTH 8 MILLION. 10 MILLION IS LAUGHABLE :lol:

DIMI WILL NOT BUDGE / STUTTER

Hate to say it because Roddy is the man, but not this kinda money man........yet ;)

the falcons are in the drivers seat. if he wants to sit out the whole year, let him. at 16 or $17,000 a day, he will owe in fines what he would have made in 09. technically it costs us nothing for him to sit out the whole year if thats what he REALLY wants to do.

If he sits out the whole season we aren't having back to back winning seasons.

Well for one this is not my money they are dealing with so in all honesty I do not care what they pay Roddy. I'm not an idiot and can see for myself Roddy is one of the best WR's ever in a Falcons uniform.

Any players that can get 1200YDs during the 07 season with 4 different QB's and coach that sucks is a legit top 5 NFL WR to me.

So it's not my money, I don't care how much he makes, pay the man and get him back on our team. In two years any contract we sign him to now will look like peanuts as to what the top 10 WR's are getting anyway.

This is silly and as fans we should not be so concerned as to what players are payed, We NEVER have CAP issues, we survived the vick contract issues we will be fine if we over pay Roddy a little to much to stay on our team. In the end it will be worth it.

you have spoken like a true democrat - "its not my money so I don't care how much it costs" :rolleyes:

You guys are hilarious. Everyone is getting ticked off based on reporter's wild speculation. I am quite sure that neither Dimitroff nor Roddy's agent are calling Steve Wyche and laying out Roddy's contract demands.

The second thing is that you guys don't seem to understand negotiation. You always ask initially for more than you are trying to get, the team aways offers less than they are willing to pay, then you find a middle ground. That's exactly how it's going to work here, and everything is going to be OK. You guys are getting all upset for nothing.

Those of you saying that you want the Falcons to play hardball, I guess you just aren't interested in the Falcons winnint the Super Bowl this year, because the the Falcons are not a contender without Roddy White.

Ten million is rediculous, but I doubt he's asking for that. Since Greg Jennings got a 8 million/yr deal, he's probably asking for 8.5-9 a year.

He's better than Jennings and not as good as Fitzgerald, so pay him somewhere in between and let's get this thing done because not having him out there sucks.

Some Stats. With a rookie QB in a run heavy offense(2nd most rushing attempts in the NFL, over 3rd place by over 40 attempts).

Roddy White

Yards - 4th in the NFL - Over Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, etc.

Receptions - 9th in the NFL - Over Randy Moss, Greg Jennings, Reggie Wayne, Calvin Johnson, etc.

Average - 6th in the NFL(1,000 Yard Receivers Only) - Over Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Terrell Owens, etc.

TDs - Tied for 12th in the NFL - Over Brandon Marshall, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, etc.

20+ Yard Receptions - 6th in the NFL - Over Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, etc.

40+ Yard Receptions - Tied for 11th in the NFL - Over Randy Moss, Reggie Wayne, Anquan Boldin, etc

1st Down Receptions - 6th in the NFL - Over Steve Smith, Greg Jennings, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, etc.

1st Down % - 7th in the NFL - Over Larry Fitzgerald, Greg Jennings, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson, etc.

But yeah, we'll just have someone on our roster step up.

All joking aside. We are not the raiders. TD has a set price that he is willing to pay. If Roddy dosent like it, well he dosent have any options. Play or get traded. His call.

Wonder why NE won all those super bowls, it wasnt for overpaying for anyone. Look at Brady. He's not in the top 3 pay for QB's (well until next year when his contracts up). In fact Brady took less money to get more talent around him. That was stated publically.

All I'm saying is this. Roddy hasnt made the best decisions in his career. The Falcon's have taken care of him. Someone might give him 8 or 9 million a year. Doubt it will be the Falcons.

Okay, yeah Roddy ran a 4.45 and Jenkins ran a 4.53, but douglas ran sub 4.4's until the combine where he ran a 4.47. If you believe that crap is really important. Jenkins is quicker than White. Watch a game.

Yes, I do watch the games. Roddy is just as fast, if not faster than Jenkins. Roddy is for a fact "quicker" and more agile, that's not even a contest. Roddy is one of the more agile WRs in the entire NFL.

Here's another fact. Roddy will not holdout past the first coupld preseason games. He doesn't make enough money to holdout that long, preseason games can get his bonus revoked, and it could kill his value on the free market.

The fact is that even if it isn't uncapped next year we can franchise him.

However, I'd go ahead and give him 9-9.5 over 4 years. Think about it. If he busts out this year (totally possible given how few times we threw it last year) we would look like geniuses. And after 2 year 9-9.5 will look cheap. Remember when Price's 6 million a year seemed insane?

Saying we can't go to the super bowl without white is silly, he didn't get us there last year when he played great. He's worth a raise but not a huge one. I think we have a good enough team to make the playoffs without him especially if the defense plays as well as I think they will. Defense wins Championships anyway but I do think TD can get him to settle on a fair amount that keeps him here.

Saying we can't go to the super bowl without white is silly, he didn't get us there last year when he played great. He's worth a raise but not a huge one. I think we have a good enough team to make the playoffs without him especially if the defense plays as well as I think they will. Defense wins Championships anyway but I do think TD can get him to settle on a fair amount that keeps him here.

It's Roddy's fault we didn't go to the Superbowl last year??? Roddy was a HUGE reason we even went to the play-offs. Using that logic, let's blame Matt Ryan and Michael Turner as well, because we didn't get to the Superbowl with them either.

Fact: 1/3 of Ryan's passes went to Roddy White.