Why Roddy holding out is not good for him or the fans

Okay, no matter if you think that Roddy deserves to get paid or that he is money hungry and hurting the team the one thing that I think is definite is that the longer he holds out the less chance there is that he will be back to the Falcons.

Let me explain, but first just to be clear this is where I stand on the subject. Roddy is a good receiver, maybe very good but he hasnt proven, at least to me that he is elite. From what I hear he wants "elite" money. Elite receivers don't drop passes in the end zone that would have won the game (Denver). Elite recievers make other teams plan around them (Moss, Smith, Fitzgerald, Owens - yeah, teams still need to plan for TO). Roddy does get double teamed a bit, but he needs another year or two of very good play to be considered "elite". Right now, in my opinion, he could end up being one of the top 3 or 4 recievers in the league, or just another reciever that had a couple of good years. With that said he needs to report and prove that he deserves that big contract. Blank will take care of him. He also needs someone to tell him he is not in the league with the Smith's or Fitzgerald's or Mosse's. Not yet.

So, why holding out hurts him. Well, normally next year he would be an unrestricted free agent, but because it looks like there will not be a cap next year he will be a restricted free agent. So the falcons hold his rights for this year and next. I'm sure his agent is telling him he needs a big contract this year (the agent is also probably worried because agents next year stand to lose a lot of money) because the falcons don't have to give him one this year and next year he is restricted, so he will probably get a lot less than he would if he were a unrestricted free agent like he would have been most other years. That's two years without a huge payday. Now, Blank takes care of his players but that's not the point. The falcons have a lot of talent at WR this year. A lot of talent. Roddy has not made a name for himself by going out and making spectacular plays on a regular basis. He runs good routes and catches most of the balls thrown to him. That's about 90% of what he should be doing. Yeah, now and then he will show a little flash, but think of it like this. No one is super scared of Roddies speed. He is not going to line up and blow the CB and the FS away like Moss. He is not fearless over the middle like TO use to be and he dosent make acrobatic catches like Fitzgerald. The point is this. With a very good QB an average to above average WR will catch 80 - 90 balls a year without showing a lot of flash. I think the Falcons have enough talent that not signing Roddy would not be a big, if any fall off from the position. But I do believe with a little more experience Roddy could improve and really become a very good WR. The falcons really don't have to worry about playing him if he never shows because he is not making a ton of money this year. It's not going to kill their cap if he never reports. If they just let him stay at home they can easily sign another WR and probably not see much of a drop off at that position. Around the end of training camps other teams are going to start looking for WR to make their teams and passing attack better and Roddy is sitting here holding out. If I were GM I would trade him for a #2 draft pick. A good QB will make a WR look a lot better than he is, not the other way around. One of these new kids might make a few more mistakes, but there is enough talent that if one looks good in camp and someone offered me a #2 pick for a hold out. Well.....

I think that if Roddy dosent sign by the first preseason game he will be traded. Just my opinion, but I think it's valid.

Maybe, a late first rounder. I doubt that would really happen but, if he continues to be a no show, I say kick him to the curb and Get what we can for him. I'am tired of these millionare cry babies. What good is a contract, really, what good is it. It seems that the only one's that are oblagated is the owners. I thought that a contract was leagal and binding. I guess not. For all of you that want to see Roddy get that big contract, you obviously have more money than I do, because big contracts mean higher ticket prices and parking and food and anything else related to the Falcons. A lot of people on this MB were complaining about your season ticket prices and some of you are the same ones that want Roddy to make the big bucks. I believe spending is out of control, where does this madness stop. A team player would at least be in camp durring negotiations. Did I say team????

I'm not reading all that because there is simply no chance that Roddy is going anywhere. This is the beginning of the dynasty, the Falcons have almost all of the pieces in place. Roddy knows it, and Dimitroff knows it, and they both know Roddy wants to be a part of it. I don't think Roddy is holding out because he insists on making 10 mil a year, I think he is just insuring that his long term deal gets done now. And it will.

Roddy's first 4 years 16 TDs 3500 yds

Peerless Price's first 4 years 22 TDs 3400 yds.

I'm just saying. I still want to give him an extension and hope he has a long lucrative career with us. But to see a guy hold out who still has so much to prove, just doesn't sit right with me.