A reminder about R. White

Finally

“I made a move down the left sideline, and the defender fell down,” White recalled last Saturday night while sitting at a table just off the expansive lobby of the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego (the Falcons defeated the Chargers, 22-16, the following afternoon). “It was one of the easiest catches I could ever make, and it went right through my hands.

“It was definitely the lowest moment of my life. I just dropped to my knees and thought, ‘Why does this have to happen to me?’ ”

Shortly thereafter, Falcons owner Arthur Blank was interviewed on the sideline. Blank took a shot at his team’s underachieving wideouts, with White obviously one of the prime offenders. Then-coach Jim Mora summoned the receiver to his office and told him that he was disappointed in his lack of dedication, that he felt White was letting his teammates down.

“At that point,” White says, “I thought my days in the NFL were over.”

Looking back, White realizes his immaturity was to blame. He came into the NFL believing his considerable athletic ability – his combination of deceptive speed, strength and body control makes him a deep threat/possession hybrid reminiscent of Terrell Owens – would allow him to thrive, no matter how little work he put into perfecting his craft.

“My approach coming in was wrong,” White says. “I was an athletic guy who could run and jump, and I thought that’s all you needed to be good in the NFL. I saw Randy Moss and Terrell Owens go up and make plays, and I figured I could just do that, too, without working at it.”

Once White’s alleged workday ended, he was all about two things: socializing and eating.

“My first year, I watched no film, other than what I had to watch at the facility,” White recalls. “I was just content to be in the NFL – and I was partying it up, living the kind of lifestyle off the field that I should’ve been living on the field.

“There were times I’d be in the club all night, then go straight from the club to the facility. That was kind of like my lifestyle. We’d have a morning meeting, and I couldn’t even stay awake.”

White’s diet, he says, “was terrible. I gained a bunch of weight. I would go to McDonald’s, and I could eat four double cheeseburgers.”

Sometimes, while sitting at a restaurant, White would hear snippets of conversation from adjacent tables that he knew were directed at him. “All of a sudden,” White says, “you’d hear someone say, ‘Dropping a ball’ or ‘He ain’t no good … we need to trade him.’ I knew what they were talking about, and I knew which way things were headed. I wondered, are [the Falcons] ever gonna give me another chance?”

The reality is that the NFL is a short-lived career but it is usually even shorter for people with bad work ethics. Everyone acts like it is up to the FO how long a player plays but aside from injury it is usually up to the player. He is a starter and it is his job to lose so all the comments about how a 7 year contract could be over in 4 might be true but unless you price yourself out of a job it is up to you to play at a high level for those 7 years.

His turnaround was not that long ago and while I see the need to give him an extension I think it is pathetic that he is once again showing bad work ethic.

This is likely to come back to haunt him.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that the NFL is a short-lived career but it is usually even shorter for people with bad work ethics. Everyone acts like it is up to the FO how long a player plays but aside from injury it is usually up to the player. He is a starter and it is his job to lose so all the comments about how a 7 year contract could be over in 4 might be true but unless you price yourself out of a job it is up to you to play at a high level for those 7 years.

His turnaround was not that long ago and while I see the need to give him an extension I think it is pathetic that he is once again showing bad work ethic.

I get what you are saying. But at the same time, we don't know what he's doing at home. He may have a film room set up at home, going over his playbook for hours a day. We don't know.

I get what you are saying. But at the same time, we don't know what he's doing at home. He may have a film room set up at home, going over his playbook for hours a day. We don't know.

I know exactly what he is doing at home. He is holding out because he has a bad work ethic. A new contract is not just about how he plays on the field it is about him as a total package.

I know exactly what he is doing at home. He is holding out because he has a bad work ethic. A new contract is not just about how he plays on the field it is about him as a total package.

Holding out doesn't mean he isn't putting in SOME KIND of work. Hundreds of players, pro bowlers and hall of famers alike have held out, does that give them a bad work ethic?

Holding out doesn't mean he isn't putting in SOME KIND of work. Hundreds of players, pro bowlers and hall of famers alike have held out, does that give them a bad work ethic?

Last time I checked when you are supposed to go to work and you don't it is a bad work ethic.

I don't get how you see that he has a bad work ethic from a hold out for more money. All his teammates talk about how hard he works. I don;t get your point of view at all here. He is not an old player who wants to skip TC. He wants market value money.

I don't get how you see that he has a bad work ethic from a hold out for more money. All his teammates talk about how hard he works. I don;t get your point of view at all here. He is not an old player who wants to skip TC. He wants market value money.

He is not living up to his work obligations which means he has a bad work ethic. It is not much of a leap.

He is not living up to his work obligations which means he has a bad work ethic. It is not much of a leap.

Falcons aren't living up to their obligation to David Irons either. I guess they are a untrustworthy organization too, huh? That's how NFL contracts work. Do you really think that Jenkins should be making more money than Roddy? Heck no. The truth with what's going on here is the Falcons were stalling and he is forcing the issue to get a deal done now. The Falcons have had months to get a deal done if they wanted to but they didn't. sounds like they are stalling to me.

Falcons aren't living up to their obligation to David Irons either. I guess they are a untrustworthy organization too, huh? That's how NFL contracts work. Do you really think that Jenkins should be making more money than Roddy? Heck no. The truth with what's going on here is the Falcons were stalling and he is forcing the issue to get a deal done now. The Falcons have had months to get a deal done if they wanted to but they didn't. sounds like they are stalling to me.

Darn that new GM, he doesn't know how to pay players. Let's get Danny Reeves back.

Dude, it doesn't matter how YOU evaluate players- obviously Jenkins IS held in high regard. Let's go ahead and ruin our salary cap and give all the bucks to that hard working guy Roddy.

Its a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. NFL doesn't owe their players anything that's not guaranteed in the contract. They are playing a game for a living. If any NFL player doesn't like the way a team does them, last I checked, all these players have a college education. God forbid they have to use it

How did the Falcons not live up to their obligation to Irons? Is he going to sue because he did not get his guaranteed money? There is a reason why some money is guaranteed and other amounts have to be earned. The Falcons are only responsible for the guaranteed portion.

From the news articles it appears that the Falcons have not been stalling but RW wants more than they are offering.

Darn that new GM, he doesn't know how to pay players. Let's get Danny Reeves back.

Dude, it doesn't matter how YOU evaluate players- obviously Jenkins IS held in high regard. Let's go ahead and ruin our salary cap and give all the bucks to that hard working guy Roddy.

What are you talking about? I honestly have no clue.

idk about his poor work ethic... you may want to read the rest of the ESPN article you just quoted

Its a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. NFL doesnt owe their players anything. They are playing a game for a living. If any NFL player doenst like the way a team does them, last I checked, all these players have a college education. God forbid they have to use it

Not sure about Roddy's "education" as a Sociology major with a 17 Wonderlic score, he better save his money instead of blowing it on $10000 paint jobs on his Chrysler and tooling around on Game Sundays only in a Black Maserati

Its a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. NFL doesnt owe their players anything. They are playing a game for a living. If any NFL player doenst like the way a team does them, last I checked, all these players have a college education. God forbid they have to use it

The NFL doesn't owe their players anything? Not any of the millions and millions of dollars they make yearly off of what these guys can do? Really? I'm refuse to even argue this point.

ok son, here is your spoon feed:

"Do you really think that Jenkins should be making more money than Roddy? Heck no."

Who do you think paid Jenkins. Let's see, was it Big Bird or Elmo?

I am not a kid and i knew what you were saying but it was kind of out there which blew my mind. Now, I'll discuss this like grown ups if you start posting like one.

Not sure about Roddy's "education" as a Sociology major with a 17 Wonderlic score, he better save his money instead of blowing it on $10000 paint jobs on his Chrysler and tooling around on Game Sundays only in a Black Maserati

Dan Marino got a 14 so it just goes to show that the wonderlic has nothing to do with education. Nothing at all. Stafford got a 37. You think he's smarter than Dan Marino? I doubt it. The wonderlic has to do with your problem solving skills and how fast you can solve the problem. Google it and you should be able to see some example questions. They are pretty easy nut take a moment to answer. You have to do like 50 of them in 11 minutes, I believe.

I am not a kid and i knew what you were saying but it was kind of out there which blew my mind. Now, I'll discuss this like grown ups if you start posting like one.

The sarcasm was there because I don't like posters who do the "you make no sense, so I must be right" statements

Accept my apology for the rough treatment, but you are probably still the age of what I imagine since I saw the first Falcon game ever, You may have not been born yet.

The sarcasm was there because I don't like posters who do the "you make no sense, so I must be right" statements

Accept my apology for the rough treatment, but you are probably still the age of what I imagine since I saw the Falcon game ever, You may have not been born yet.

Cool man. And sorry for the sarcasm. I understand how some can be around here. Anyway, I think Jenkins deserves what he got but Roddy is so much better a receiver. He does deserve to get paid. I know guys are saying he will be a RFA after next year but only if a CBA is not reached. If one is reached, which I hope is the case, then he would be a UFA. I just want to see the get this done like everyone else. I understand him holding out because he would be risking injury plus the Falcons are stalling to give him what he's worth. Maybe they are thinking a CBA won't get done or maybe his numbers goes down some because of TG, not sure. I don't like the hold out but I refuse to hate ion Roddy for doing it. He deserves to be paid like a top 10 receiver. He is a top top receiver. I argued this so much I am tired of arguing it really. Probably why I was short. lol. As far as trusting TD, I fully trust he will do what's best for the Falcons. I am just nervous on this one. I trust he will get something done though.

I'm 33 btw and have been watching for about 21 or 22 years now. lol. Kind of obsessively too. I bet you love the fact that we are bringing those old uni's back this year. I never saw them but a excited to see them. I heard the other day we will be wearing them 3 times this year.

idk about his poor work ethic... you may want to read the rest of the ESPN article you just quoted

I read the entire article and I also see he is not reporting to mandatory practices. Personally I do not think he has yet to put in all the work he needs to get to the next level but I think he wants to be paid as though he was already there. The only person who can truly be blamed for his slow progression is himself.

Accept my apology for the rough treatment, but you are probably still the age of what I imagine since I saw the Falcon game ever, You may have not been born yet.

You're age is of no relevance in this conversation. If were discussing world war II facts, you might have a leg up but other than that, it doesn't matter. Don't assume that you know more or are more educated than those younger than you. If you are as old as you claim to be, I'm positive that many of the younger posters on here are actually more intelligent and know more than you do. These days, kids have access to a ton of information online and you were getting your facts through whatever books the school made you read. Your closed mindedness only deters others from accepting your "wisdom". Also, just my point of view, but calling younger people "son" doesn't make you more respectable. Cops use to call African-Americans "boy" because it made them feel superior and more like men. Calling younger gentlemen "boy" just makes you look uneducated. You make no sense, so I am right. Let me guess, you're going to assume that I'm a 13 yr old because I wrote that tid bit in there huh?

Now onto Roddy, you assume that his work ethic is in the dumps and that's fine you can believe whatever you want about him, that's your right. However, you're completely misguided if you believe that his work ethic is where it was his first 2 seasons. That article that was quoted, and completely out of context, (not surprising coming from Finally) described what Roddy use to do and how he changed that to become the pro bowler he is today. Believe me, I'm not on Roddy's nuts but we have to be honest with ourselves. Is Roddy really as lazy as you think? Do you think he became the pro bowler he is today by continuing in that trend of going out, partying and eating horribly? If you do, you have no idea what's going on. Roddy takes care of his nephews and changed his work ethic to make sure that he became the pro bowler that he did. He doesn't eat like that anymore. He doesn't go to clubs. He is focused on his football career. Who are you to doubt his work ethic?

If there is an impasse and TD and Roddy cannot come to terms on any level, so be it. However, I strongly believe that Roddy is an essential element in our offense and we should resign him. You can't be upset at the guy for holding out right now. I'd love for him to be at camp too and I don't think this is the best way for him to handle it, but he is using the leverage that he has. I'm so annoyed with so many "fans" that are quick to jump on someone's back when they're successful and then throw them under the bus because they did something out of character. Roddy isn't demanding a trade, he's asking to be paid equivalent to others who play his position at his level. This issue is about Roddy trying to secure a future and not a question of his work ethic. Don't make it something it isn't.

Now Mr. 23432423 years old who is wise and all knowing, go get a life instead of trying to boss around younger fans.