This is why Roddy White is doing the RIGHT THING

The Brandon Marshall situation in Denver may have just gotten a whole lot more interesting. The disgruntled wide receiver limped off the field during practice on Sunday and, per Mike Klis of the Denver Post, he was favoring his surgically repaired left hip.

Take a moment to remember that the Broncos could have traded Marshall, and then cue

While we don't know how serious an injury Marshall suffered, or how long it will keep him off the field, there had to be a brief moment of regret for Denver at refusing to give into the wide receiver's trade demand. And that's not the only can of worms that may have been reopened as the Broncos wrapped up their first weekend at training camp.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disgruntled Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall missed the last hour of practice Sunday after pulling up with an apparent hamstring injury while running a deep sideline route.

Marshall hobbled to the sideline, tossed his helmet and dropped to the grass. He didn't return to action, staying on the sideline a few minutes before limping to the trainer's room.

So you're saying Roddy White shouldn't be in training camp because he might get injured?

I want him in training camp and he should be there but I understand from his point why he is not..case in point look at Brandon Marshall ..who can lose millions if he is seriously injured or tore his hamstring

I want him in training camp and he should be there but I understand from his point why he is not..case in point look at Brandon Marshall ..who can lose millions if he is seriously injured or tore his hamstring

LOL..........Roddy is being a HUGE baby. if he wants to holdout and miss TC let him. Like coach mike smith said "no position is safe other than matt ryan". White better get his a** in camp.

I think the reason White is holding out is more for getting the most guaranteed money right now when he can instead of in the future where he might not be able to get as much. Aaron Freeman from FalcFans pretty much has the opinion that I do about what White and his agents are probably trying to do. Here are the four options according to Freeman...

1) Get paid now, and with it get about $20 million guaranteed.

2) Wait. And if there's no cap, get stuck with a RFA tender, which will be roughly $3 million and not guaranteed.

3) Wait. And hope there is a cap, and you just get stuck with the Franchise tender, which will be roughly $10 or 11 million, but will be guaranteed.

4) Wait. And hope that regardless of the cap or no cap, the Falcons give you that $20 million guaranteed later rather than soon.

Option 1 is what they are pushing for. And understandably so.

I agree with you swift. I think people are overlooking one thing. Roddy is holding out because he wants to sign a contract with the Falcons. He is not demanding a trade, he wants to stay here. He just wants to be paid what a WR of his level is worth. I wish he would go to camp and negotiate after practice, but I can't fault him for taking this route. He is doing what we all would do: use the tools he has to get paid what he thinks he is worth.

I think the reason White is holding out is more for getting the most guaranteed money right now when he can instead of in the future where he might not be able to get as much. Aaron Freeman from FalcFans pretty much has the opinion that I do about what White and his agents are probably trying to do. Here are the four options according to Freeman...

1) Get paid now, and with it get about $20 million guaranteed.

2) Wait. And if there's no cap, get stuck with a RFA tender, which will be roughly $3 million and not guaranteed.

3) Wait. And hope there is a cap, and you just get stuck with the Franchise tender, which will be roughly $10 or 11 million, but will be guaranteed.

4) Wait. And hope that regardless of the cap or no cap, the Falcons give you that $20 million guaranteed later rather than soon.

Option 1 is what they are pushing for. And understandably so.

I thought that an RFA was tendered an offer, then a team would have to compensate the Falcons if they choose to sign him t a bigger deal. Correct or not?

Swift, what about the version that I would like ... be there, don't work contact drills, ride a bike, lift some weights (if you want to), mentor the young WRs, be at meetings and sleep there like anybody else ... you can show that you care equally about the team and your own contract, without risking a injury.

Swift, what about the version that I would like ... be there, don't work contact drills, ride a bike, lift some weights (if you want to), mentor the young WRs, be at meetings and sleep there like anybody else ... you can show that you care equally about the team and your own contract, without risking a injury.

I can live with that .

I thought that an RFA was tendered an offer, then a team would have to compensate the Falcons if they choose to sign him t a bigger deal. Correct or not?

The highest tender pays around 3mil for the year ... any team can sign you to a offer sheet, but the Falcons could match the offer.

I agree with you swift. I think people are overlooking one thing. Roddy is holding out because he wants to sign a contract with the Falcons. He is not demanding a trade, he wants to stay here. He just wants to be paid what a WR of his level is worth. I wish he would go to camp and negotiate after practice, but I can't fault him for taking this route. He is doing what we all would do: use the tools he has to get paid what he thinks he is worth.

i know which is why i don't understand the hatred and some of the harsh words for him. he wants to sign an EXTENSION. hes said publicly he wants to RETIRE as a falcon. he's not pulling an ocho cinco/boldin/cutler/marshall trying to get out of atlanta. he's trying to make sure he's here for a long time playing helping our team WIN and get to the superbowl. i can't be mad at him. he's helping us in the long term.

The highest tender pays around 3mil for the year ... any team can sign you to a offer sheet, but the Falcons could match the offer.

Exactly, but he could, and likely would make more than 3 mil next off-season as an RFA. I would imagine less than he would as a true FA though, as a team would not want to give him a huge deal AND part with a first round pick.

Exactly, but he could, and likely would make more than 3 mil next off-season as an RFA. I would imagine less than he would as a true FA though, as a team would not want to give him a huge deal AND part with a first round pick.

It always depends on the team ... if (let's say) the Giants, after watching their new young WR corps, think White is the missing link on their team, they might as well give him a big contract and give up a 1st and 3rd (highest tender). If you're a team like Kansas, in rebuilding mode, you won't do it.

Roddy may be doing the right thing for Roddy for injury reasons, but say the Broncos signed Marshall to a long term deal with a big signing bonus. Then they would take that cap hit if he was to get injured and would have to find another wr to replace him anyway and have a lot less cap space to do it. Same thin goes for Roddy and the Falcons. So it may or may not be the right thing for Roddy but not the team. jmo

LOL..........Roddy is being a HUGE baby. if he wants to holdout and miss TC let him. Like coach mike smith said "no position is safe other than matt ryan". White better get his a** in camp.

Roddy's spot might as well be a lock, because NO ONE on this roster can touch him at the WR position.

I can live with that .

Glad we're on the same page, for a change.

I think he owes it to the team to be there ... without them he wouldn't be in position to ask for that kind of money. Without the OLine, Ryan couldn't throw that well ... with a weaker QB, Roddy wouldn't get that many chances, without our RBs keeping a safety in the box, he'd be doubled even more ... without the other WRs keeping defenses honest, he'd be doubled all the time, ...

I don't expect him to risk anything, and he deserves to get paid more than now, but sadly when you hold out, you forget about the guys that made everything possible.

it would be better if roddy attended and didn't do anything. i doubt his agent would want him lifting, riding the bike, etc because he can get hurt doing that stuff. plaxico held out from NY last year but he showed up and just watched on the sideline. that would be the best thing for him to do IMO.

you've got to remember roddy can't do everything he wants. i'm almost 100% sure roddy'd rather be in camp practicing etc instead of sitting on his *** all day which is probably what he's doing. maybe some light lifting. but his agent probably doesn't want him there for his own reasons. this is all stuff we don't really know so i can't get mad at the guy because i don't know the situation.

what i do know is he's trying to get EXTENDED so that he can remain a falcon for x amount of years to help us win games and be a part of OUR team. i can't be mad at him for that. if he hated us, didn't want to play for us or wanted to hurt the team he'd demand a trade and a new contract with another team.

it would be better if roddy attended and didn't do anything. i doubt his agent would want him lifting, riding the bike, etc because he can get hurt doing that stuff. plaxico held out from NY last year but he showed up and just watched on the sideline. that would be the best thing for him to do IMO.

you've got to remember roddy can't do everything he wants. i'm almost 100% sure roddy'd rather be in camp practicing etc instead of sitting on his *** all day which is probably what he's doing. maybe some light lifting. but his agent probably doesn't want him there for his own reasons. this is all stuff we don't really know so i can't get mad at the guy because i don't know the situation.

what i do know is he's trying to get EXTENDED so that he can remain a falcon for x amount of years to help us win games and be a part of OUR team. i can't be mad at him for that. if he hated us, didn't want to play for us or wanted to hurt the team he'd demand a trade and a new contract with another team.

Even if he's only there playing cheerleader and mentoring young WRs between drills (I know there are many coaches, but the more eyes the better), it's a sign towards the teammates that he cares. I think it would also give him a bigger chance to get what he wants when he's just there without doing physical workout, everybody (including coaches and GMs) loves a team-player.

My main disagreement with Roddy on this issue is that :

1.He knows he's gonna get his contract, so holding out was pointless. He's more doomed for injury by holding out than he would be showing up. 2 words Jamal Anderson.

2. He's a good WR, but has iffy hands, and needs to get in the endzone more often, He needs to be in camp. If he could work on his hands he would be elite. He has more to prove.

When he quits dropping the ball at crucial moments I'll have more sympathy.