Saturday AM Training Camp

So I am a little late on my tidbits and observations from yesterday but it seems like this board needed something besides another "The Official I Want to Whine About Roddy" post. Typically after training camp this board is filled with peoples observations about training camp. So if you are here to whine about Roddy or "The Establishment" see the other 50 threads.

I arrived in the parking lot about 45 mins early and I was somewhat surprised I have never before had to park that far away. I learned my lesson for the future, don't be a cheapskate and pay the five bucks to park at the person's house right next to the road. Chandler Williams looked like he was on fire. The man had to be the fastest WR out there. That's not to say he is the fastest but he seemed to put out the best effort speedwise and catching whatever was thrown his way. The QB's and WR's were pretty much just playing catching out there. Nothing really impressive, timing seemed a little off but nothing was severely over or underthrown. Douglas and Gonzalez were the most impressive making the difficult catches in traffic. Ryan threw a long one down the field to Douglas and Grimes robbed him of the TD with better position and timed the jump better. Owen slapped the ball away from Gonzalez. Jerry seemed to get pretty good push and certainly has some speed but as expected seemed to get outplayed sometimes by the vet Oline. I can't really get much from this until they get the pads on and start hitting though. Thomas Brown is back slashing up the field with speed. He got a couple of ooos and aaahs like last year and not just from the Georgia homers. Possible return guy. Turner being "fat" is a total myth. The guy looked in good shape with the power and speed expected. Aaron Kelly did not seem like he has sure hands nor did he run crisp routes. Hartsock dropped a fairly easy pass. Peterson showed a lot of blitzes with pretty good speed and he is more stout than I thought he was.

Turner and Norwood signed autographs by the merchandise trailer. Abraham and other Dline guys signed autographs on the sideline of the practice field.

Did you get the impression that the defense was trying a little harder to make plays than the offense? Sounds like they may have been trying to make a point.

I do believe there was more intensity coming from the defense especially in the secondary. One reason may be because most positions are fairly settled other than for depth purposes whereas on the defensive side there are quite a few starting positions up for grabs. It could also be a matter of the suddenly highly touted offensive against the no name defense.

I do believe there was more intensity coming from the defense especially in the secondary. One reason may be because most positions are fairly settled other than for depth purposes whereas on the defensive side there are quite a few starting positions up for grabs. It could also be a matter of the suddenly highly touted offensive against the no name defense.

Good point. I hear VanGorder asked them to, "play like their hair was on fire." I guess they took that to heart.

I suppose its not uncommon for the defense to appear a little ahead of the offense early in camp. Offense relies more on timing and repetition. Defense, more aggression and reaction.