I'm thinking this is a scam, but I'm not sure so maybe you guys can help me out here

My brother has been looking for a new car, and found one he likes through craigslist. It's a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that's only priced at $2800, which immediately makes me think it's a scam. After he sent an email letting the seller know he was interested, he got this in reply:

Hello,

My name is Dr.Maya Bristol .This "2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubico" is in perfect working condition.This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electricalproblems on this beauty.This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.The car has only 6.396 miles. About my car : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubico The car is in perfect conditions,has without any mechanical problems, no damage, clear title, no scratches or dents on paintwork or hidden defects.The car is clean, with low mileage.Transmission: Automatic Engine: 4.0 L V6 4WD So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay's Express Purchase Protection program. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected.The car is located in USA right now and has US papers.The title is clean and you will have absolutely no problems to register the car in USA or Canada I signed up as a doctor for US military forces and I was sent in Iraq to take care of the soldiers here.I am located in Iraq,but the car is in United States in Wisconsin in a warehouse, sealed and ready to be shipped.My final price on it is US $2,800 . If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping .It will be shipped from Wisconsin by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place.First of all, the vehicle will be insured during transit so no damage can occur. Don't worry about that.Secondly, you will receive all appropriate documents along with the vehicle. You will receive the title and all the papers signed by me so you can easily transfer the car into your name. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address (street,city,zip,state) where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.I am sorry but we don't have acces with phones here.ONLY laptops.But we can communicate by mail.I hope this is not a problem.Thanks for understanding

Dr.Maya Bristol

It seems like a pretty ridiculous story, especially since this person says they're only asking 2800 for a 4 year old car that looks like this:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm telling him that it seems like a scam, but he's convinced that it's real. Anybody heard of this kind of scam before?

If it isn't a scam you get a heck of a deal. You never know. A friend of mine just bought a car for $1500 that belonged to a couple who were moving to India and just needed to unload it. It wasn't quite as remarkable as that but it blue booked at around $4500. Puzzling as to why he would not just sell it to a car lot though. I'll be interested to see how this turns out. If he does it as he is through Ebay it sounds pretty air tight.

Scam. If you can't go touch the product if you choose, it's a scam.

Ask Capt. Iraq if you can go to Wisconsin and test drive it, and tell him if he lets you you'll drive it back and save him any shipping hassles. Bet dollars to donuts he comes up with some silly reason why he can't.

"It will be shipped from Wisconsin by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything."

The military will not transport your vehicle!!!

That's what my stepdad told him. He was in the army for like 6 years and said that he wasn't sure if they allow you now, but they wouldn't transport vehicles when he was in.

"It will be shipped from Wisconsin by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything."

The military will not transport your vehicle!!!

are you sure? My cousin is station in Alaska, and he got his car from L.A. to there. Don't know how he did it. But I assumed it was on a military ship. Ohh, I buy things off craiglist all the time and it's a scam.

Ask Capt. Iraq if you can go to Wisconsin and test drive it, and tell him if he lets you you'll drive it back and save him any shipping hassles. Bet dollars to donuts he comes up with some silly reason why he can't.

exactly. for a jeep that nice at 28 hundred you would be crazy not to jump on it.

i think it's a scam. always try to find a car in your area so that you can check it out yourself. cars that are $2500 are usually 10-15 year old cars with a few minor problems. i'd be dumbfounded to find a person selling a four year old car for just $2500 when they usually go for at the very least $6000.

The give me money for a crappier (or invisible) version of what you think you're going to get scam? It happens a million times a day.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything from someone in Iraq.

i have a feeling that this one is a well-spoken nigerian. one that actually has a slight sense of grammar.

i have a feeling that this one is a well-spoken nigerian. one that actually has a slight sense of grammar.

lol. The fact that this person also coninues to call it a Rubico also raises some questions. It would have been easy to write it off if it was jst a typo, but they did it twice. You'd think you'd know the name of your car.

There you go. You could probably get a flight to Milwaukee and back for $300 or so. I do like the part where he says there are no phones...only laptops.

This is a scam. There are too many red flags. The military won't ship your vehicle for free, doesn't happen. Soldiers can get on military choppers and planes at little to no cost and jump from base to base, but they won't fly your 2,000 lb vehicle for free. Second, he claims to be a doctor in the military and he expects reasonable people to believe that a DOCTOR, working for the military, doesn't have access to a phone, ever. Why have we been sending phone cards to the soldiers if they don't ever have access to a phone. He doesn't want to talk to you or see you because he's not who he says he is. Lastly, he calls his vehicle the wrong thing twice which is the first thing I noticed as odd about his response. I know what kind of car I have, what about you. The price is also too good to be true, and the first thing you learn about fraud schemes in school is if it seems too good to be true it probably is. Also, looking at the typos and the choice of words I really don't think a doctor wrote that. I went to school for forensic accounting and fraud examination and I would definitely classify this one as a fraud scheme. If you sent me the person's ebay user id and paypal user name I can probably find out what their real name is, if it isn't registered as this doctor. Please tell your brother to find a different car.

The other 2005 Wrangler Rubicons are all over $15,000 on ebay.

Hello,

My name is Dr.Maya Bristol .This "2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubico" is in perfect working condition.This vehicle engine runs very, very smooth. No electricalproblems on this beauty.This detailed vehicle makes the exterior look like it just came off the assembly line.The car has only 6.396 miles. About my car : 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubico The car is in perfect conditions,has without any mechanical problems, no damage, clear title, no scratches or dents on paintwork or hidden defects.The car is clean, with low mileage.Transmission: Automatic Engine: 4.0 L V6 4WD So if you decide on buying the car, I want the deal closed only through eBay's Express Purchase Protection program. You will make the payment to eBay and they will hold the money until you receive the car. ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected.The car is located in USA right now and has US papers.The title is clean and you will have absolutely no problems to register the car in USA or Canada I signed up as a doctor for US military forces and I was sent in Iraq to take care of the soldiers here.I am located in Iraq,but the car is in United States in Wisconsin in a warehouse, sealed and ready to be shipped.My final price on it is US $2,800 . If you will take it for this price, I am willing to handle the shipping .It will be shipped from Wisconsin by plane with US Air Military Cargo so it will not cost me anything. You will get it to the nearest airport in your area and then it will be trucked forward to your place.First of all, the vehicle will be insured during transit so no damage can occur. Don't worry about that.Secondly, you will receive all appropriate documents along with the vehicle. You will receive the title and all the papers signed by me so you can easily transfer the car into your name. Please get back to me asap if you decide to buy, and include in your e-mail your full name and address (street,city,zip,state) where you want it shipped so I can start the deal with eBay. You will receive all the transaction payment and shipping details from them.I am sorry but we don't have acces with phones here.ONLY laptops.But we can communicate by mail.I hope this is not a problem.Thanks for understanding

Dr.Maya Bristol

American doctors don't type phrases like the highlighted ones

And Americans don't usually refer to the States as USA.

And who says "In United States in Wisconsin"??? If you're an American addressing another American you just say Wisconsin.

I'm calling Shenanigans on this one.

This is a scam. There are too many red flags. The military won't ship your vehicle for free, doesn't happen. Soldiers can get on military choppers and planes at little to no cost and jump from base to base, but they won't fly your 2,000 lb vehicle for free. Second, he claims to be a doctor in the military and he expects reasonable people to believe that a DOCTOR, working for the military, doesn't have access to a phone, ever. Why have we been sending phone cards to the soldiers if they don't ever have access to a phone. He doesn't want to talk to you or see you because he's not who he says he is. Lastly, he calls his vehicle the wrong thing twice which is the first thing I noticed as odd about his response. I know what kind of car I have, what about you. The price is also too good to be true, and the first thing you learn about fraud schemes in school is if it seems too good to be true it probably is. Also, looking at the typos and the choice of words I really don't think a doctor wrote that. I went to school for forensic accounting and fraud examination and I would definitely classify this one as a fraud scheme. If you sent me the person's ebay user id and paypal user name I can probably find out what their real name is, if it isn't registered as this doctor. Please tell your brother to find a different car.

The other 2005 Wrangler Rubicons are all over $15,000 on ebay.

I have a 1993 Buick Park Avenue...see how easy that was?

On top of your forensics, I've been friends with enough scammers to know that this is garbage. Not even a smart scam. On a Rubicon you would have to ask for around 12,000 for this to work, plus...did I see 6.<something> miles? He doesn't want that much because you may have to get a loan and the banks would actually trace that amount a lot quicker than YOU could yourself at 2k.