Abraham likes what he's seen so far from Jerry

Lowndesfalc

Linkage

By GEORGE HENRY - Associated Press Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- John Abraham wants Peria Jerry to take a simple approach in his first NFL training camp.

A three-time Pro Bowl defensive end and an 11-year NFL veteran, Abraham doesn't hesitate to speak his mind with the Atlanta Falcons' younger players.

He likes what he's seen so far from Jerry, the league's No. 24 overall draft pick and a former standout defensive tackle from Mississippi, but the Falcons will practice twice Sunday before wearing full pads Monday for the first time in camp.

Abraham is eager to see how Jerry reacts when trying to beat blocks from established offensive linemen like center Todd McClure and guards Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock.

"The biggest thing is don't make no mistakes," Abraham said Saturday. "We're not expecting him to go out there and get 16 sacks or break any records. We're just expecting him to make as little mistakes as possible. Mainly, we want him to know all the plays and what to do, where to be and things like that. We're not expecting to find Michael Strahan right now or Ray Lewis in his first year."

Abraham has played in 33 straight games since undergoing a second major surgery on his abdomen in early 2007, but the on-field results of last season made him feel young again. With 16.5 sacks, he set a single-season career high for himself and for Atlanta, beating Joel Williams mark of 16 in 1980.

The 31-year-old Abraham indicated that he's ready to wear full pads after a restful offseason. He attended the Falcons' minicamp in May, but didn't participate in drills.

"Yeah, I'm feeling great. I went through it one time before in my franchise year (2005) with the (New York) Jets," Abraham said. "I didn't do the offseason stuff. I just did my own stuff to make sure I didn't get to banging. I played 16 games perfectly healthy."

---

PRODUCTIVE DAY FOR ROOKIE DBs: Coach Mike Smith liked what he saw from safety William Moore, a second-round draft pick, cornerback Chris Owens (third round) and cornerback William Middleton (fifth).

"That's an area that we're having a whole bunch of competition in," Smith said. "That's what training camp is all about."

Moore is playing behind No. 1 free safety Erik Coleman. Owens and Middleton are battling for spots behind starters Von Hutchins on the left side and Chris Houston on the right. Brent Grimes, a first-time starter early last season, and Chevis Jackson, a third-round pick in '08, also are fighting for playing time.

---

THREE YEARS LATER: From 2004-06, former Atlanta coach Jim Mora often spoke about how much he appreciated linebacker Jamie Winborn from their time together in San Francisco.

It took Winborn three seasons longer than Mora originally wanted, but the former second-round draft pick from Stanford is finally in camp with the Falcons.

Winborn played five games for Jacksonville in 2005, enough time for him to earn the respect of Smith, the Jaguars' former defensive coordinator. With Smith entering his second season as head coach in Atlanta, Winborn is playing for his third team in four years, but his NFL experience could help to stabilize a young corps of linebackers.

Other than 11th-year veteran Mike Peterson, the Falcons are starting second-year middle linebacker Curtis Lofton and third-year veteran Stephen Nicholas on the outside. Coy Wire, an eighth-year veteran, played well enough in a backup role last year to earn four starts.

Winborn has started 32 of 92 career games with 407 tackles, 10 sacks, three interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Mora, now the head coach in Seattle, was fired in Atlanta on Jan. 1, 2007.

Thanks for posting. One thing that caught my eye is William Moore playing free safety. I thought he was a SS...

Haven't Smitty and Dimitroff said that they want safety positions in this scheme to be interchangeable? Also that their FS plays more like a typical SS and vice-versa.

Thanks for posting. One thing that caught my eye is William Moore playing free safety. I thought he was a SS...

I was just about to say that. Wow. Mist be something they saw in mini camp and OTA's. He is playing behind Coleman. Something I did notice yesterday was that he was in there with Jamal Fudge who is a SS. That's new. He's one heck of s big FS huh? Decoud and him are the future at SS but which one will each of them play? Looks like it could be flip flopped from what we saw. Doesn't matter too much because our safeties are interchangable and that is from Smitty and TD's mouth. Also Moore did have his best year as a FS at Missu.

Moore played FS and SS in college ... like Coleman he can play both positions. He's what Smith and TD wanted, a interchangeable safety.

I love to read that Abe likes what he's seen from Jerry, always a great sign when Abe likes somebody ... I think you can't get a bigger compliment than that as a rookie lineman.

Linkage

By GEORGE HENRY - Associated Press Writer

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- John Abraham wants Peria Jerry to take a simple approach in his first NFL training camp.

A three-time Pro Bowl defensive end and an 11-year NFL veteran, Abraham doesn't hesitate to speak his mind with the Atlanta Falcons' younger players.

He likes what he's seen so far from Jerry, the league's No. 24 overall draft pick and a former standout defensive tackle from Mississippi, but the Falcons will practice twice Sunday before wearing full pads Monday for the first time in camp.

Abraham is eager to see how Jerry reacts when trying to beat blocks from established offensive linemen like center Todd McClure and guards Harvey Dahl and Justin Blalock.

"The biggest thing is don't make no mistakes," Abraham said Saturday. "We're not expecting him to go out there and get 16 sacks or break any records. We're just expecting him to make as little mistakes as possible. Mainly, we want him to know all the plays and what to do, where to be and things like that. We're not expecting to find Michael Strahan right now or Ray Lewis in his first year."

Abraham has played in 33 straight games since undergoing a second major surgery on his abdomen in early 2007, but the on-field results of last season made him feel young again. With 16.5 sacks, he set a single-season career high for himself and for Atlanta, beating Joel Williams mark of 16 in 1980.

The 31-year-old Abraham indicated that he's ready to wear full pads after a restful offseason. He attended the Falcons' minicamp in May, but didn't participate in drills.

"Yeah, I'm feeling great. I went through it one time before in my franchise year (2005) with the (New York) Jets," Abraham said. "I didn't do the offseason stuff. I just did my own stuff to make sure I didn't get to banging. I played 16 games perfectly healthy."

---

PRODUCTIVE DAY FOR ROOKIE DBs: Coach Mike Smith liked what he saw from safety William Moore, a second-round draft pick, cornerback Chris Owens (third round) and cornerback William Middleton (fifth).

"That's an area that we're having a whole bunch of competition in," Smith said. "That's what training camp is all about."

Moore is playing behind No. 1 free safety Erik Coleman. Owens and Middleton are battling for spots behind starters Von Hutchins on the left side and Chris Houston on the right. Brent Grimes, a first-time starter early last season, and Chevis Jackson, a third-round pick in '08, also are fighting for playing time.---

THREE YEARS LATER: From 2004-06, former Atlanta coach Jim Mora often spoke about how much he appreciated linebacker Jamie Winborn from their time together in San Francisco.

It took Winborn three seasons longer than Mora originally wanted, but the former second-round draft pick from Stanford is finally in camp with the Falcons.

Winborn played five games for Jacksonville in 2005, enough time for him to earn the respect of Smith, the Jaguars' former defensive coordinator. With Smith entering his second season as head coach in Atlanta, Winborn is playing for his third team in four years, but his NFL experience could help to stabilize a young corps of linebackers.

Other than 11th-year veteran Mike Peterson, the Falcons are starting second-year middle linebacker Curtis Lofton and third-year veteran Stephen Nicholas on the outside. Coy Wire, an eighth-year veteran, played well enough in a backup role last year to earn four starts.

Winborn has started 32 of 92 career games with 407 tackles, 10 sacks, three interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.

Mora, now the head coach in Seattle, was fired in Atlanta on Jan. 1, 2007.

The most interesting thing i've read so far.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Moore is playing behind Coleman. The coaches probably just want to see the other side of Moore. They drafted what they think is an interchangeable Safety, but they probably want to get him experience playing both to see how he responds.

Moore and DeCoud are probably the future at FS and SS though. Coleman is extremely solid, but DeCoud and Moore have higher potential. We will have a three safety rotation this year to keep everyone fresh, but it is a mystery to who that 3rd wheel will be. I have heard nothing but good things from DeCoud, btu ultimately, I think he will be that 3rd safety.

I'm waiting for those that claimed Abraham was lying to the fans when he said JA98 was playing well last year and all you had to do was watch the tapes to see how well he was playing by discrediting his ciomments as "what do you expect him to say" to apply the same thing here.

waiting...........

The fact is, just as this article says, Abraham speaks his mind about youn players and will criticize them and praise them as he sees fit, he doesn't just "make things up" under the false assertion of what do you expect him to say as some have suggeted.

Abraham is also trying to set fans expectations to a realistic level as well saying they don;t expect him to produce eye popping stats this year.

I'm waiting for those that claimed Abraham was lying to the fans when he said JA98 was playing well last year and all you had to do was watch the tapes to see how well he was playing by discrediting his ciomments as "what do you expect him to say" to apply the same thing here.

waiting...

Ugh bro Abraham said that then Busterson proceeded to rack up 24 tackles and two sacks, the worst output by an LDE in ugh, maybe league history.

Ugh bro Abraham said that then Busterson proceeded to rack up 24 tackles and two sacks, the worst output by an LDE in ugh, maybe league history.

Yea, that was a stretch but I will say JA98 looked solid in yesterday afternoons practice. He would of had a sack if he was allowed to hit the QB. An easy one. Hopefully he feel's the pressure and steps up. Jerry looked good yesterday too. I saw him in the back field at least 2 or 3 times. They weren't in pads yet though so we will see. I forgot to watch Trey Lewis.