Shocked at the negatvity towards Roddy White

Peyton

If I was Roddy White, I would do exactly the same thing he is doing. He has earned a contract extension and if he goes out there under his current contract and tears up a knee or something this year, he's totally screwed. So he is doing what he has to do for himself, and I don't personally blame him one bit.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From now on, I'll go with Michael Jenkins on this topic (thanks to SWIFT HITTER for posting the quote): "I was just focused on playing football," said Jenkins, the 29th overall draft pick in 2004. "My agent and the guys upstairs handled that. I knew as long as I played football, things would get done. We all want Roddy here as soon as possible, but they're going to handle that. You just got to worry about playing football and getting better."

In other words: Get your a** to the training facility, work out and getting a new contract won't be a problem.

Yeah> Its a business. ANd he SIGNED A CONTRACT.

He can renegotiate it, sure. More power to him. BUt holding out is not a proper tactic to do so.

\

In most cases I might agree with you, but I don't in this case. The Falcons have a clear motivation to stall, and Roddy is doing what he has to do to make sure they don't.

Just to add something ... I would understand if he didn't want to participate in contact workouts, but be there (be a team player), ride a bike, catch some balls, lift some weights and get ready to play ... but sitting at home is not the right way to handle the situation.

From now on, I'll go with Michael Jenkins on this topic (thanks to SWIFT HITTER for posting the quote): "I was just focused on playing football," said Jenkins, the 29th overall draft pick in 2004. "My agent and the guys upstairs handled that. I knew as long as I played football, things would get done. We all want Roddy here as soon as possible, but they're going to handle that. You just got to worry about playing football and getting better."

In other words: Get your a** to the training facility, work out and getting a new contract won't be a problem.

Micheal Jenkins situation was drastically different from this situation.

In most cases I might agree with you, but I don't in this case. The Falcons have a clear motivation to stall, and Roddy is doing what he has to do to make sure they don't.

I don't care about the situation> TOugh luck on RHoddy, but he's still wrong, and doing it wrong.

The only difference is the amount of money ... if Jenkins blew his knee in practice he would have had just as many problems as Roddy.

Jenkins didn't have the problem of the uncapped year that would cause Roddy to lose an extra year of free agent eligibility. That is the issue with Roddy, the Falcons can totally avoid signing him to a long term deal until after the 2010 season if they want to. His only recourse is to force the issue. It'll get done, and everybody will forget about it.

The only difference is the amount of money ... if Jenkins blew his knee in practice he would have had just as many problems as Roddy.

no, the difference is Roddy was a top 5 receiver for the past 2 years and wants to get paid like it. Jenkins had never shown up before last year and had no reason to hold out. if he did they probably wouldve just cut him. im not saying Roddy is 100% right in this situation, but i understand where he is coming from.

Jenkins didn't have the problem of the uncapped year that would cause Roddy to lose an extra year of free agent eligibility. That is the issue with Roddy, the Falcons can totally avoid signing him to a long term deal until after the 2010 season if they want to. His only recourse is to force the issue. It'll get done, and everybody will forget about it.

Not likely. IF he goes on to play productively and keep his mouth shut I might forgive, but not forgetting. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and he chose the wrong way.

I won't forget it ... it's not a good sign towards the team. Like I said, if he's there and doesn't do contact drills (he could still catch some balls, ride a bike or lift weights ... and in between bring your teammates something to drink) till the situation is resolved, I'm not mad at all, but holding out is just plain wrong.

no, the difference is Roddy was a top 5 receiver for the past 2 years and wants to get paid like it. Jenkins had never shown up before last year and had no reason to hold out. if he did they probably wouldve just cut him. im not saying Roddy is 100% right in this situation, but i understand where he is coming from.

I can't blame Roddy at all for what he is doing, He's got too much at stake.

Nobody is in the wrong, Roddy is doing whats right for Roddy while the Falcons are doing whats right for the Falcons.

As a fan I'll always fall on the side of the Falcons and want Roddy to get into camp. I see where he's coming from but he's hurting the team and thats my main priority.

I can't blame Roddy at all for what he is doing, He's got too much at stake.

Having allot at stake doesn't mean you should do things the wrong way.

THats why being ethical is said to not always be easy. Just because something might benefit you doesn't make it right.

I won't forget it ... it's not a good sign towards the team. Like I said, if he's there and doesn't do contact drills (he could still catch some balls, ride a bike or lift weights) till the situation is resolved, I'm not mad at all, but holding out is just plain wrong.

I just disagree with you. Emmitt Smith held out twice and one time it went all the way to the third week of the regular season. Nobody remembers that about him though. You get your deal, you come back, the team wins, everybody is happy.

Nobody is in the wrong, Roddy is doing whats right for Roddy while the Falcons are doing whats right for the Falcons.

As a fan I'll always fall on the side of the Falcons and want Roddy to get into camp. I see where he's coming from but he's hurting the team and thats my main priority.

I just don't understand why the Falcons think it is in thier best interest not to negotiate a new deal with Roddy. He is obviosuly entering the prime of his career and has great chemistry with the franchise QB.

So.................football is a business, huh ??

Well, I was taught in business if you SIGN a contract...............it's a BINDING AGREEMENT, to be taken seriously, not some random occurrance that you honor if and when you feel like it. A signed document is all we have in this sleazy world to operate with. A handshake means zero............zip............nada.

Absolutely pathetic.

I just disagree with you. Emmitt Smith held out twice and one time it went all the way to the third week of the regular season. Nobody remembers that about him though. You get your deal, you come back, the team wins, everybody is happy.

Well, then we agree to disagree ... I want players to care about the team first, and about themselves second. If he's there and does a different workout, not a problem ... but be there and show that you care.

So.................football is a business, huh ??

Well, I was taught in business if you SIGN a contract...............it's a BINDING AGREEMENT, to be taken seriously, not some random occurrance that you honor if and when you feel like it. A signed document is all we have in this sleazy world to operate with. A handshake means zero............zip............nada.

Absolutely pathetic.

Yeah well in the NFL it doesn't work that way, they cut players with tons of years left on thier contracts all the time.

Well, then we agree to disagree ... I want players to care about the team first, and about themselves second. If he's there and does a different workout, not a problem ... but be there and show that you care.

Ok, fair enough. Do you think Hines Ward is that kind of player, the kind that puts team first?