atljbo

Link

Top pick Jerry happy to be at camp

By CHRIS VIVLAMORE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

* ShareThis

* Print

* Reprints

Flowery Branch — First-round pick Peria Jerry said he was happy to be in training camp after signing a five-year deal Thursday.

The defensive tackle, taken with the 24th selection in April’s draft, was the last of the Falcons’ picks to sign.

“I’m very excited just to be in camp on time,” Jerry said. “That’s the biggest thing so I won’t far so far behind. I’m here and working and trying to get better.”

Sharpe excused

Wide receiver Roddy White, a holdout, was not the only player absent from the first day of training camp. Second-year cornerback Glenn Sharpe was excused from practice for personal reasons, according to coach Mike Smith. Sharpe is expected to return Sunday.

Secondary battle under way

A highlight from the morning practice came from Christopher Owens. The rookie cornerback, a third-round pick out of San Jose State, raced back to knock down a long pass from Matt Ryan. Harry Douglas had a step on Owens on a long corner route.

“I thought that our young secondary guys went out there and competed this morning,” Smith said. “Chris Owens made a couple plays. William Moore. William Middleton. There’s a lot of energy there. That’s an area where we’re having a whole lot of competition. That’s what’s training camp is all about.”

Im excited about our Defense........

Maybe speed in the secondary will allow us to do more things with our front seven.. Im just not sure if we have enough in the front seven to consistently shut down the run game. Carolina is our main competition and they may have the strongest running back combination in the league.