Failed 2007 First Round Defensive End, a Failure, To Help His Team By Retiring

sporkdevil

Falcon related? Maybe :lol:

"Jarvis Moss is contemplating retirement

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2009 8:02 PM ET

Broncos linebacker Jarvis Moss apparently has been spending some time with Brett Favre.

Because Moss is contemplating retirement.

The difference, however, is that Moss is only 24 years old.

According to FOX 31 in Denver, Moss has advised the team that he might call it quits.

FOX 31 also reports that Moss wasn't at practice on Saturday, and that G.M. Brian Xanders declined to comment on the situation.

Moss participated in two Friday practices, and he expressed optimism about the future.

"It's a brand new start for me," Moss said. "I'm going to continue to work hard, pray, and everything will take care of itself."

Moss reportedly is struggling to adapt to his role in the team's new 3-4 defense, which resulted in a shift from defensive end to outside linebacker."

That is crazy. Only 24 years old and already calling it quits. He should at least see how he does during the regular season. I would think.

yep....sounds to me like he's wimping out and quiting instead of stepping up and taking the fire as other young developing players take.

Ahh man I have to admit I thought this was a Busterson article. He might need to do the same thing. If not now definitely after this season if he can't open a can of whoop as.

I know you guys hate me calling him Busterson but can someone out there name a 31 start NFL LDE that was sorrier than him the last two years? Anybody?

OK, this might be a bit off, because this is LDE's for this upcoming year (projected). These will go in the order of ranking (from worst to first) of their rating of defensive lines.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9862990...nkings:-D-lines

08 stats (in sacks, because why not?)

Derrick Harvey: 3.5 sacks. The 8th overall pick in 08 missed loads of time holding out for a contract. His season was more or less thought of as poor, from what I remember hearing. Their commentary: "Harvey showed signs of justifying his first-round selection from the year before but will need a hike in the 3.5 sacks that he recorded a year ago."

Jimmy Wilkerson: 5.0 sacks

Victor Adeyanju: Hey, he went to Indiana! I didn't think anyone even got drafted out of here! 2.0 sacks. 4th rounder in 06. This seems debatable between him and JA98.

Jay Richardson: Never heard of him, apparently he plays on some team called "The Raiders". 3.0 sacks in his 2nd year. A 5th rounder in 07.

Dewayne White: Put up 6.5 sacks while only playing 12 games, on a team with a whopping zero wins.

Patrick "Kearney": The giant cry baby put up 5 sacks in 7 games.

Adewale Ogunleye: Hey, Indiana again! Maybe we recruit them because no one else can spell their friggin names? Had 6.5 sacks, after having 9 the year before.

Robert Geathers: Out of UGA, had 2.5 sacks in 11 games, down from his 10.5 sack 06 season.

Chris Kelsay: 2.0 sacks. That is pretty bad, but he also had 47 tackles and 5 deflections.

Charles Grant: 3 sacks in 7 games.

Dave Ball: 4.5 sacks in 15 games.

Antonio Smith: Played in AZ last year, but is the new LDE for the Texans. 3.5 sacks.

Raheem Brock: Mathis usually comes in as a situational pass rusher, but I guess Brock is expected to start. 3.5 sacks.

Hey, we have the 10th best rated DL. NOT BAD. JA98: We know the stats. Their commentary: "Anderson could move down inside in passing situations with Davis taking over his spot. Position coach Ray Hamilton will spend a great deal of his time trying to fabricate some kind of pass rush on the opposite side of Abraham, whom he flip-flopped last season. It's time for Anderson, the No. 8 pick in the 2007 draft, to step up or be slapped with the bust tag."

Victor Abiamiri: A 2nd rounder in 07 came up with 2 sacks in 10 games.

Tyler Brayton: 4.5 sacks.

Ray Edwards: 5 sacks (4th rounder in 06)

Justin tuck: I think they put him at RDE after Osi went down, but I can't remember. Either way, you don't want to know.

So there are the stats of those expected to start LDE next year in 4-3's. I didn't include rookies, or that DE from Washington who was hurt all year. I think it would be difficult to say that JA98 is positively the worst, as it looks like there are some similar production numbers from a few. However, it's hard to say he is "better" than anyone else starting, based just on his sack numbers. (However, his tackle numbers aren't anything amazing).

Edit: This took too much dang time I should have spent studying, so I will make it it's own post.

just another Florida Gator who couldnt make it in the NFL..

Yeah Emmitt says hi as well as the countless other Gators that have including the new starting LB for our Falcons. Good call.

And as far as Jarvis whimping out I might belive that if I didnt know about the fight he had to go through to come back from a illness that almost ended his carrer at UF when he was a sophmore.

can someone out there name a 31 start NFL LDE that was sorrier than Busterson the last two years?

Can you? Didn't think so. Now who's the fraud?

This comparison is impossible to make based on statistics alone, but that's really the only way it can be done to answer the question the way it is asked. There is no account for different base defenses, no account for different defensive schemes, and no account for rotations. So, this is a very poor way to make the comparison, but to add on to the posts that are making the attempt......

LDE's:

JA98 is basically on par from a statistical standpoint with these players:

Trevor Pryce - LDE Baltimore 27 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 0 PD's, 0 FF

Kendall Langford - LDE Miami 31 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 PD's, 0 FF

John Engleberger - LDE Denver 31 tackles, 1 sack, 0 PD's, 0 FF

Derrick Burgess - LDE Oakland 24 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 PD, 1 FF

Jason DeVries - LDE Detroit 29 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 PD, 0 FF

Marcus Spears - LDE Dallas 35 tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD, 1 FF

The 5 of those guys were LDE starters week 1 of 2008.

These players had the same or fewer sacks than JA98 in 2008, again, from week 1 starting LDEs:

Corey Williams .5 sacks (that's half a sack in case you missed the decimal point)

Anthony Weaver 0 sacks

Chris Kelsay 2 sacks

Ty Warren 2 sacks

John Engleberger 1 sack

Turk McBride 0 sacks

Luis Castillo 1.5 sacks

Jason DeVries 2 sacks

Marcus Spears 1 sack

Isaac Sopoaga 1 sack

So, over 1/3rd of the starting LDE's week 1 of 2008 ended up with 2 or fewer sacks on the season.

This comparison is impossible to make based on statistics alone, but that's really the only way it can be done to answer the question the way it is asked. There is no account for different base defenses, no account for different defensive schemes, and no account for rotations. So, this is a very poor way to make the comparison, but to add on to the posts that are making the attempt......

LDE's:

JA98 is basically on par from a statistical standpoint with these players:

Trevor Pryce - LDE Baltimore 27 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 0 PD's, 0 FF

Kendall Langford - LDE Miami 31 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 PD's, 0 FF

John Engleberger - LDE Denver 31 tackles, 1 sack, 0 PD's, 0 FF

Derrick Burgess - LDE Oakland 24 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 PD, 1 FF

Jason DeVries - LDE Detroit 29 tackles, 2 sacks, 3 PD, 0 FF

Marcus Spears - LDE Dallas 35 tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD, 1 FF

The 5 of those guys were LDE starters week 1 of 2008.

These players had the same or fewer sacks than JA98 in 2008, again, from week 1 starting LDEs:

Corey Williams .5 sacks (that's half a sack in case you missed the decimal point)

Anthony Weaver 0 sacks

Chris Kelsay 2 sacks

Ty Warren 2 sacks

John Engleberger 1 sack

Turk McBride 0 sacks

Luis Castillo 1.5 sacks

Jason DeVries 2 sacks

Marcus Spears 1 sack

Isaac Sopoaga 1 sack

So, over 1/3rd of the starting LDE's week 1 of 2008 ended up with 2 or fewer sacks on the season.

I think it's difficult to compare a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DE, the same way a 4-3 RDE is difficult to compare to a 4-3 LDE. The 3-4 usually tries to open it up for the OLB's to make the sack. Or to compare guys like Jared Devries (I assume you mean Jared, not Jason) who only played in 10 games. Of course, comparing stats is always pretty difficult. I'll take another look through the list though.

I think it's difficult to compare a 3-4 DE to a 4-3 DE, the same way a 4-3 RDE is difficult to compare to a 4-3 LDE. The 3-4 usually tries to open it up for the OLB's to make the sack. Or to compare guys like Jared Devries (I assume you mean Jared, not Jason) who only played in 10 games. Of course, comparing stats is always pretty difficult. I'll take another look through the list though.

I know for me its a whole lot different than just "he sucks". It is and always has been the draft staus. The the arguments on the boards when I kept saying that he would probably have less than 5 sacks by his second year. The argument back then was tha he's be a 10 sack guy and that Rich McKay knew what he was doing...

Guys, you have to remember that many of us who don't like him now, didn't like him then. I don't dislike him for NO reason. I just had a feeling that he was going to take forever to finally get to be anything. Thats not a #8 overall pick. Sorry, but it isn't.

Its about the pick...you don't use a top ten pick to get a run stopping LE!!! It isn't done. We, the Falcons, have done this type of thing.

Do you use a top 15 pick to draft a run blocking WR? No. It defeats the purpose of drafting that high. Could have moved Babs over to LE if you wanted a run stopping LE. We used a #8 on a guy who was billed as a pass rusher and now the EXCUSE is that "Most LE's don't get more than XXX sacks and whatnot...

Okay, I'm fine with that assessment. Why not then wait until the second or third round to pick one up?

Yeah, Jared not Jason.....was going on memory, only wrote down J. DeVries on my paper.

Yeah Emmitt says hi as well as the countless other Gators that have including the new starting LB for our Falcons. Good call.

And as far as Jarvis whimping out I might belive that if I didnt know about the fight he had to go through to come back from a illness that almost ended his carrer at UF when he was a sophmore.

lmao at you having to go back 20 year or so. In the past 10 years, UF hasn't produced ****.