I hinestly think Roddy White's holdout is a GOOD thing

Pi Kapp

I know everyone is saying that Roddy is being selfish in doing this, and some whackos are calling for him to be traded less than 24 hours into his holdout, but honestly, I think it's great for Roddy. It's not like he's ungrateful for his current contract - heck, he's still on his rookie salary and he's a top 10 receiver in this league. Clearly, he has the confidence to stand up and say "I'm one of the best and I want to be recognized as this."

Of course, if this were Abraham or Matt Ryan doing this, it might be a different story, but Roddy is a relatively quiet guy and his holdout isn't one that would tear apart a locker room like a T.O. or a Chad Johnson or somehting. Roddy isn't a distraction, and even if he tried to be one, Coach Smith and Matt Ryan are strong enough to lead the team on with the mentality that it isn't.

The biggest thing I see hear though is that Roddy is in the last year of his contract and wants a long-deal term. HE WANTS TO BE A FALCON. Roddy is the type of talent that the Falcons had been missing for at least a decade, and he wants to be with this team to see that we don't lose what he's helped to build.

Roddy is a necessity to this team - Matt Ryan threw to Roddy I believe like 32% of the time, which is crazy for a QB-WR tandem. It was enough of a stat to land Roddy on the top 10 most irreplaceable players according to ESPN. We know we need him, and even though he isn't in camp, it's all a necessary game of poker that really is just part of the NFL nowadays. Sure, Dimitroff is a Patriot-style GM and we will play "hardball" with Roddy because "we won't tolerate holdouts." But we will pay Roddy what's fair to him; it not only will make Roddy happy, but it will prevent distractions, help the locker room, help team chemistry, and lead to WINS. If there is anything that the Patriot-style of management, it's that they make decisions that lead to wins. They can bring in troubled players and basically absorb them into a winning team without any ramifacations whatsoever.

Moral of this story, we will look back on this holdout weeks from now and see that it was nothing significant at all. Roddy will be in camp and nothing will really be lost except for a little bit of otherwise-unused cap space. Big whoop.

I know everyone is saying that Roddy is being selfish in doing this, and some whackos are calling for him to be traded less than 24 hours into his holdout, but honestly, I think it's great for Roddy. It's not like he's ungrateful for his current contract - heck, he's still on his rookie salary and he's a top 10 receiver in this league. Clearly, he has the confidence to stand up and say "I'm one of the best and I want to be recognized as this."

Of course, if this were Abraham or Matt Ryan doing this, it might be a different story, but Roddy is a relatively quiet guy and his holdout isn't one that would tear apart a locker room like a T.O. or a Chad Johnson or somehting. Roddy isn't a distraction, and even if he tried to be one, Coach Smith and Matt Ryan are strong enough to lead the team on with the mentality that it isn't.

The biggest thing I see hear though is that Roddy is in the last year of his contract and wants a long-deal term. HE WANTS TO BE A FALCON. Roddy is the type of talent that the Falcons had been missing for at least a decade, and he wants to be with this team to see that we don't lose what he's helped to build.

Roddy is a necessity to this team - Matt Ryan threw to Roddy I believe like 32% of the time, which is crazy for a QB-WR tandem. It was enough of a stat to land Roddy on the top 10 most irreplaceable players according to ESPN. We know we need him, and even though he isn't in camp, it's all a necessary game of poker that really is just part of the NFL nowadays. Sure, Dimitroff is a Patriot-style GM and we will play "hardball" with Roddy because "we won't tolerate holdouts." But we will pay Roddy what's fair to him; it not only will make Roddy happy, but it will prevent distractions, help the locker room, help team chemistry, and lead to WINS. If there is anything that the Patriot-style of management, it's that they make decisions that lead to wins. They can bring in troubled players and basically absorb them into a winning team without any ramifacations whatsoever.

Moral of this story, we will look back on this holdout weeks from now and see that it was nothing significant at all. Roddy will be in camp and nothing will really be lost except for a little bit of otherwise-unused cap space. Big whoop.

No. If what he was truly interested in was being on the team, he woudl be in camp right now while his agent was negotiating. He made his priorities clear with the holdout.

I want to repeat the response to a thread I made soe post down so that hopefully alot of fans will read my reply and have this whole thng put into perspective.

If we worked at a company and gradually improved are performance, yet never received a pay raise, we would start to wonder what gives. If the company down the street has watched you progress, and sees your potential, and then offers you double or tiple the money your making now, you would take the money. We all have bills, families, dreams. It will not matter to you that during your 5 years at the first company you made some really great friends. In the end, your friends do not pay your bills, or take care of your family. Pay checks do that people. We all know it. So it makes ALOT of sense for us to pack up and move down the street unless the company we are with now decideds to pay us the COMPETITIVE SALARY to keep us there. Now, after reading this, and putting it out of the NFL spectrum and into OUR realm, I cannot fathom how anyone would still disagree. Put yourself in the shoes of the guy in this reply, and that is RWs situation.

I want to repeat the response to a thread I made soe post down so that hopefully alot of fans will read my reply and have this whole thng put into perspective.

If we worked at a company and gradually improved are performance, yet never received a pay raise, we would start to wonder what gives. If the company down the street has watched you progress, and sees your potential, and then offers you double or tiple the money your making now, you would take the money. We all have bills, families, dreams. It will not matter to you that during your 5 years at the first company you made some really great friends. In the end, your friends do not pay your bills, or take care of your family. Pay checks do that people. We all know it. So it makes ALOT of sense for us to pack up and move down the street unless the company we are with now decideds to pay us the COMPETITIVE SALARY to keep us there. Now, after reading this, and putting it out of the NFL spectrum and into OUR realm, I cannot fathom how anyone would still disagree. Put yourself in the shoes of the guy in this reply, and that is RWs situation.

Then you renegotiate your contract while honoring it, suck it up and deal with what you AGREED to and let them know that if they don't play straiught with you, when the contract is over, you will go elsewhere.

Honor your contract, renog. during TC and the season, sign another one and honor it. Simple enough. $2.8 million this year show last a family a long time.

But if the employer gave you roughly half of your money for the entire contract "Up front" before you ever worked one single day for him you might want to honor the dam*** deal that you signed. Especially when you only performed at about 1/2 of your ability during the first 2 years of the deal.

People who think Roddy is justified in doing this are just foolish, IMO. Honor the deal you signed, or at the very least, show up for work while working on a new deal. The team put faith (and money) in you before you proved your worth. Now you should put faith in them after you've proven yourself.

Screw him, let him sit.

Then you renegotiate your contract while honoring it, suck it up and deal with what you AGREED to and let them know that if they don't play straiught with you, when the contract is over, you will go elsewhere.

:lol::lol: Shut the eff up! No way you really believe this rubbish you're spewing! You got to be saying this just to prove your point...I mean you just got to...cuz if not then you're a sucker...

The only way I could see that scenario ever playing out in the real world is if you're paid hourly, in which there is no negotiation...you take what they offer or leave it, and that's it...

But please stop with the nonsense...we get it...you think he should be there...David Irons was cut/waived recently...surely, the organization has drawn this same ire since they did not HONOR the contract that they agreed to as well, yes??? :huh:

Or is honor not a two-way street??

:lol::lol: Shut the eff up! No way you really believe this rubbish you're spewing! You got to be saying this just to prove your point...I mean you just got to...cuz if not then you're a sucker...

The only way I could see that scenario ever playing out in the real world is if you're paid hourly, in which there is no negotiation...you take what they offer or leave it, and that's it...

But please stop with the nonsense...we get it...you think he should be there...David Irons was cut/waived recently...surely, the organization has drawn this same ire since they did not HONOR the contract that they agreed to as well, yes??? :huh:

THe ability to be cut is an implicit part of every contract at the very beginning.

Encoded in the league rules, with guidelines.

^^ Truth

THe ability to be cut is an implicit part of every contract at the very beginning.

So if the team doesn't have to honor a CONTRACT, why can't a player hold out?

It is also within the league rules that a player can hold out, and pay a fine for doing so. What the difference? He's not doing anything illegal or against the rules.

Ok, but does the fact that it is implicit make it fair for both parties involved?? What's accepted or expected is not always fair...

Ok, but does the fact that it is implicit make it fair for both parties involved?? What's accepted or expected is not always fair...

Its fair if its part of the contract you agree to. Noone HAS to become an NFL player.

You COULD go to the CFL, they don't pay as much, but hey, you don't have an inherant right to be at the highest paying job out there for whatever terms youw ant.

Its fair if its part of the contract you agree to. Noone HAS to become an NFL player.

You COULD go to the CFL, they don't pay as much, but hey, you don't have an inherant right to be at the highest paying job out there for whatever terms youw ant.

It's a close-ended, yes/no question...don't try to rationalize it... :rolleyes: -_-

Selfish fans none of you would have cared if we cut Roddy White year 3 but you get so up in arms when he asks for money. Thank god you imbeciles don't run the franchise or we would have no shot at winning

Asking for money is fine. Holding out isn't.

If that is fair in your honest opinion...then that ish just flat out sux

Its part of the deal and both parties know it before they even sign. And in fact, most contracts have the ability for the OWNER of the contract to stop further payment for services not yet rendered. What Rhoddy is doing is getting paid for services he isn't providing.