8-1-09 am practice observations

as practice began with elam, koenen, and schneck throwing the football, it became very obvious that mularkey has more trickery up his sleeve for 09. matt ryan looked good warming up as his legs are now very tan, not pastey white like last year. all four QB's look good as DJ appears poised to fight off a good attempt by JPW. TD should be credited for creating competion everywhere. many guys will be cut that could land elsewhere. the fact that the players are VERY well coached is evident.

the DL started with a drill for disengaging blocks and batting down passes and oddly enough, trey lewis was easily the most atletic looking in this drill and sidbury looked good as well.

at WR white, not present, was'nt missed at all. we could honestly trade him for just draft picks and be fine. gonzalez, HD, and jenkins were excellent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options for ryan all day. douglas can only blossum further without white here to drop passes that should have been his. he is the best WR we have doing all the little things to get open consistantly and he is of course VERY sure handed. finneran is also easliy the #3 if we are forced to go that route. #4 and 5 could be weems and bergeron, with kelly and godfrey having an outside shot. weems battles for the ball and has a strong grip to keep from getting it punched away. bergeron just has the footwork and suttle hand placement technique the younger guys fail to exhibit. kelly is smooth and has good hands but fundamentally sux. he appears to pay very little attention to detail as he simply goes through the motions hap hazardly and reminds me of a little kid in the outfield trying to catch butterflies with his glove when the ball is hit to him. if he just applied himself to his footwork getting open, he could easliy be the 4th or 5th WR on this team.

mike peterson is a huge upgrade in pass coverage with a beautifully defended pass, and appears much faster and in better position than brook.

grimes intercepted ryan deep and has possibly the best ability to play the ball deep but gives up too much underneath. middleton looks good at RCB pressing and turning and running, but he looks fantastic against the run from CB because of how quickly he reads run and gets in position to make the tackle. houston on the other hand looks like he is going across the RB's path to get out of the way. to be fair maybe he is because it is non contact, but he consistantly trailed the runner up the middle while jackson was positioned to make the tackle up the middle. the safeties looked great(coleman/decoud) bracketing the run and staying in front of the play.owens exhibited the skill that i have wanted in a CB for us for some time and should ultimately earn him the starting role come game one, when HD came down with a nice catch deep only to have owens knock it loose for an incompletion. unlike grimes, owens CAN play the ball well in front of him although i did'nt see that today, i just know that he can.

JA98 looks the same physically but seems more intense pre-snap. also has added a spin move that did not get him closer to the QB, but it would have kept him from running himself out of the play and giving up a running lane. sidbury looked better than biermann last year working down the line against the run. he looks less susceptable to being washed out on run's right at him.

svitek looks to easily have the #2 LT spot atleast in 09. may be susceptable to the outside. stanchek may be battling wilkerson for final OL spot.

verron hayes may give snelling a run for his money. while snelling was great covering kicks, hayes may provide us with the recieving FB kevin faulk is in NE, as well as better run blocking. mike smiths legs look more tan too.

as practice began with elam, koenen, and schneck throwing the football, it became very obvious that mularkey has more trickery up his sleeve for 09. matt ryan looked good warming up as his legs are now very tan, not pastey white like last year. all four QB's look good as DJ appears poised to fight off a good attempt by JPW. TD should be credited for creating competion everywhere. many guys will be cut that could land elsewhere. the fact that the players are VERY well coached is evident.

the DL started with a drill for disengaging blocks and batting down passes and oddly enough, trey lewis was easily the most atletic looking in this drill and sidbury looked good as well.

at WR white though not present was'nt missed at all. we could honestly trade him for just draft picks and be fine. gonzalez, HD, and jenkins were excellant 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options for ryan all day. douglas can only blossum further without white here to drop passes that should have been his. he is the best WR we have doing all the little things to get open consistantly and he is of course VERY sure handed. finneran is also easliy the #3 if we are forced to go that route. #4 and 5 could be weems and bergeron, with kelly and godfrey having an outside shot. weems battles for the ball and has a strong grip to keep from getting it punched away. bergeron just has the footwork and suttle hand placement technique the younger guys fail to exhibit. kelly is smooth and has good hands but fundamentally sux. he appears to pay very little attention to detail as he simply goes through the motions hap hazardly and reminds me of a little kid in the outfield trying to catch butterflies with his glove when the ball is hit to him. if he just applied himself to his footwork getting open, he could easliy be the 4th or 5th WR on this team.

mike peterson is a huge upgrade in pass coverage with a beautifully pass defended, and appears much faster and in better position than brook. grimes intercepted ryan deep and has possibly the best ability to play the ball deep but gives up too much underneath. middleton looks good at RCB pressing and turning and running, but he looks fantastic against the run from CB because of how quickly he reads run and gets in position to make the tackle. houston on the other hand looks like he is going across the RB's path to get out of the way. to be fair maybe he is because it is non contact, but he consistantly trailed the runner up the middle while jackson was positioned to make the tackle up the middle. the safeties looked great(coleman/decoud) bracketing the run and staying in front of the play.owens exhibited the skill that i have wanted in a CB for us for some time and should ultimately earn him the starting role come game one, when HD came down with a nice catch deep only to have owens knock it loose for an incompletion. unlike grimes, owens CAN play the ball well infront of him although i did'nt see that today, i just know that he can.

JA98 looks the same physically but seems more intense pre-snap. also has added a spin move that did not get him closer to the QB, but it would have kept him from running himself out of the play and giving up a running lane. sidbury looked better than biermann last year working down the line against the run. he looks less susceptable to being washed out on run's right at him.

svitek looks to easily have the #2 LT spot atleast in 09. may be susceptable to the outside. stanchek may be battling wilkerson for final OL spot.

verron hayes may give snelling a run for his money. while snelling was great covering kicks, hayes may provide us with the recieving FB kevin faulk is in NE, as well as better run blocking. mike smiths legs look more tan too.

This is to cluttered. I'll stick with whitekb's

So you telling me that whitekb's wasn't more organized and easy to read than this

Yeah his is more organized and easier to read but Peter's has more info. I am not being picky JR since i wasnt there, so i appreciate both of them for going out of thier way to make this information available to those that werent afforded the opportunity to go to the morning practice. <_<:D

Yeah his is more organized and easier to read but Peter's has more info. I am not being picky JR since i wasnt there, so i appreciate both of them for going out of thier way to make this information available to those that werent afforded the opportunity to go to the morning practice. <_<:D

Dang thats right you did want to borrow the car didnt you

Enough with the editorializing:

"at WR white, not present, was'nt missed at all. we could honestly trade him for just draft picks and be fine. gonzalez, HD, and jenkins were excellent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options for ryan all day. douglas can only blossum further without white here to drop passes that should have been his. he is the best WR we have doing all the little things to get open consistantly and he is of course VERY sure handed."

at WR white, not present, was'nt missed at all. we could honestly trade him for just draft picks and be fine. gonzalez, HD, and jenkins were excellent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options for ryan all day. douglas can only blossum further without white here to drop passes that should have been his. he is the best WR we have doing all the little things to get open consistantly and he is of course VERY sure handed. finneran is also easliy the #3 if we are forced to go that route. #4 and 5 could be weems and bergeron, with kelly and godfrey having an outside shot. weems battles for the ball and has a strong grip to keep from getting it punched away. bergeron just has the footwork and suttle hand placement technique the younger guys fail to exhibit. kelly is smooth and has good hands but fundamentally sux. he appears to pay very little attention to detail as he simply goes through the motions hap hazardly and reminds me of a little kid in the outfield trying to catch butterflies with his glove when the ball is hit to him. if he just applied himself to his footwork getting open, he could easliy be the 4th or 5th WR on this team.

mike peterson is a huge upgrade in pass coverage with a beautifully defended pass, and appears much faster and in better position than brook.

grimes intercepted ryan deep and has possibly the best ability to play the ball deep but gives up too much underneath. middleton looks good at RCB pressing and turning and running, but he looks fantastic against the run from CB because of how quickly he reads run and gets in position to make the tackle. houston on the other hand looks like he is going across the RB's path to get out of the way. to be fair maybe he is because it is non contact, but he consistantly trailed the runner up the middle while jackson was positioned to make the tackle up the middle. the safeties looked great(coleman/decoud) bracketing the run and staying in front of the play.owens exhibited the skill that i have wanted in a CB for us for some time and should ultimately earn him the starting role come game one, when HD came down with a nice catch deep only to have owens knock it loose for an incompletion. unlike grimes, owens CAN play the ball well in front of him although i did'nt see that today, i just know that he can.

You didnt have to do this peter. I was just pulling your leg man. Good news though

at WR white, not present, was'nt missed at all. we could honestly trade him for just draft picks and be fine. gonzalez, HD, and jenkins were excellent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd options for ryan all day. douglas can only blossum further without white here to drop passes that should have been his. he is the best WR we have doing all the little things to get open consistantly and he is of course VERY sure handed.

I guess when he is signed to a long term contract it would just be a huge mistake y TD right ..... I'll give him a call and make sure he talks to you first because it's obvious he doesn't know what he's going doing.

This thread sucks.. I cant believe people actually continue to read after the crap he said about roddy. Harry will be a slot guy and thats it. He will never be a #1 reciever, and jenkins will never be a #1.

This thread sucks.. I cant believe people actually continue to read after the crap he said about roddy. Harry will be a slot guy and thats it. He will never be a #1 reciever, and jenkins will never be a #1.

Just ignore that part the rest of it is pretty informing. ;)

Wow some people are so touchy... you don't have to agree with everything that is said and I suggest that if you plan to stick around this board for an extended period of time that you not let people's opinions get to you. You'll last longer that way.

With that said... thanks Pete. I appreciate the write up. Keep it coming.

Good thing you're not the FO. Everything was nice cept your WR Wisdom. We can't go on without White. Without him we aren't an Elite offense.

new orleans #1 ranked pass offense(as well as #1 overall) sports 7th rd pick colston injured most of last year, undrafted free agent lance moore, the mildly disappointing 2nd rd pick devery henderson, and potential bust 1st rd pick robert meachem, so yeah, i understand your sky is falling without white mentality despite the addition of gonzalez with = or > statistics in 09.