Roddy White was a no-show for the Falcon's media availability session Friday afternoon

atljbo

Link

White a no-show as Falcons prepare for camp

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

* ShareThis

* Print

* Reprints

Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Roddy White, who held out after being drafted 27th in the 2005 NFL Draft, was a no-show during the team's media availability session on Friday.

White and the rest the team has until 5 p.m. to report for training camp, which opens on Saturday.

Team members will be considered a holdout if they don't arrive in time for the first team meeting at 6:30 p.m.

White caught 88 passes for 1,382 yards and seven touchdowns last season and was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time. In 2007, he caught 83 passes for 1,202 yards and six touchdowns as the team went 4-12.

White is set to make $2.28 million on the last year of his five-year contract.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Roddy give him what he wants. I'm sure this will be worked out by the end of camp

If the CBA is not extended and there's no salary cap.... Roddy isn't a free agent... a lot of rules will change around Free Agency... and Roddy will have no leverage.

I hope he gets his contract done but I can understand if the Falcons want to wait...

Or Slander Bedwetter needs to check his watch because it clearly says they have until 6:30. Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt as in Bedwetter, because he didn't get to interview White and keep jabbing him with made up nonsense as he has started over the last few days. Just another AJC article that is completely misleading which I would call a lie since the objective is quite obvious here. Sadly though, he knows a lot of people don't read past the first couple of sentences and buries the truth just past that point. Then it's copy/paste recap for the rest of the article. I wonder if the AJC is hiring, I think I could be pretty good at writing Bull Sh!t.

Ok someone help me out with this. If no agreement is reached then he's under our control. If an agreement is reached, it's possible not signing him during the season could actually backfire on us

Because of the expiration of the CBA the minimum number of years in the league goes from 4 to 6 before they can before that player becomes a free agent. He would not be a free agent until 2011, at which time under the current rules teams can designate 3 players with the franchise tag. I believe that puts him at around 32 years old. The ball is clearly in the Falcons court.

I was just about to report this. Let's wait and see ya'll. I definitely refuse to keep arguing this point. Not going to change anything and let's all just hope for the best. I am hearing from Mort that Roddy is asking for 9 a year. Dunno if true. I am thinking he should get around 8 at the most but he is good. Really good.

Because of the expiration of the CBA the minimum number of years in the league goes from 4 to 6 before they can before that player becomes a free agent. He would not be a free agent until 2011, at which time under the current rules teams can designate 3 players with the franchise tag. I believe that puts him at around 32 years old. The ball is clearly in the Falcons court.

So if a deal eventually gets reached, not signing him b4 seasons end will have no affect on us

I was just about to report this. Let's wait and see ya'll. I definitely refuse to keep arguing this point. Not going to change anything and let's all just hope for the best. I am hearing from Mort that Roddy is asking for 9 a year. Dunno if true. I am thinking he should get around 8 at the most but he is good. Really good.

I heard that too.... I would give roddy 8 a year... i dont know about 9

YOu got that thru twitter

Even if one is not reached, he is a restricted Free Agent, he has no options as to being able to leave, not without the Falcons getting compensation

No, if a new one is reached he's a UFA. Thats why I say sign him this year. Better safe than sorry.

Also, I'm pretty confident a new agreement will be done.

I know he's the best we had in a while but until he changes his name to Moss, Fitzgerald or Johnson, he should stick with something b/w 7-8

So if a deal eventually gets reached, not signing him b4 seasons end will have no affect on us

He would be a Restricted Free Agent at the end of his contract. They have the first right of refusal to match another team's offer plus a draft pick. They can extend this out until about a year from now roughly. I honestly don't think they are going to stretch it out to the point where they actually frustrate Roddy assuming he is not asking for a cap crippling amount. Then they can do the Franchise Tag the year after which means another team would have to give up 2 1st round picks.

This is sort of the abridged version and may not be completely accurate. I just didn't have time to dig up every if then scenario and how that relates to the current CBA agreement expiring. I just know a lot of websites are saying the Falcons have a lot more leverage in the waiting game right now.

I know he's the best we had in a while but until he changes his name to Moss, Fitzgerald or Johnson, he should stick with something b/w 7-8

I agree with you on this one. I would like to see around 8 a year. Now we know the hold up. They are asking for too much. I'd say that drop against Denver is really hurting him right now along with a few other drops. If he caught that pass against Denver and we won in that manner then he'd have a valid argument. Compromise guys and get this done. Please.

He would be a Restricted Free Agent at the end of his contract. They have the first right of refusal to match another team's offer plus a draft pick. They can extend this out until about a year from now roughly. I honestly don't think they are going to stretch it out to the point where they actually frustrate Roddy assuming he is not asking for a cap crippling amount. Then they can do the Franchise Tag the year after which means another team would have to give up 2 1st round picks.

This is sort of the abridged version and may not be completely accurate. I just didn't have time to dig up every if then scenario and how that relates to the current CBA agreement expiring. I just know a lot of websites are saying the Falcons have a lot more leverage in the waiting game right now.

Cool I'm not really into all that contract and salary cap stuff like you other guys

I agree with you on this one. I would like to see around 8 a year. Now we know the hold up. They are asking for too much. I'd say that drop against Denver is really hurting him right now along with a few other drops. If he caught that pass against Denver and we won in that manner then he'd have a valid argument. Compromise guys and get this done. Please.

I agree between 7-8 is a fair contract IMO with some incentives

He will only be a RFA if there is no collective bargaining agreement in place. If you run your business with assumptions then you are bound to fail. His contract shows that he'll be a UFA at the end of this year and that is the way it should be played because anything can happen in the CBA and you have 0 control over that. Sorry, I just wanted to get this out there again. You have to assume that a CBA will get done and his contract will end. Wat too risky to go about it the other way around.

I agree that I doubt either party lets this drag out for more than a week or two.

I'm not really one to place judgement on this type of thing but I believe they will take a look at his first 4 years as whole, instead of only the past 2 seasons like most of us are doing. He's had his ups and his downs. He may have alot of yards but only 16 TD's in 4 seasons, which could easily be mid to high 20's had he played better his first 2 seasons. But what goes on behind doors with this FO will never be put out there for us to discuss

Once again, he will only be a RFA if there is no collective bargaining agreement in place. If you run your business with assumptions then you are bound to fail. His contract shows that he'll be a UFA at the end of this year and that is the way it should be played because anything can happen in the CBA and you have 0 control over that. Sorry, I just wanted to get this out there again. You have to assume that a CBA will get done and his contract will end. Wat too risky to go about it the other way around.

I agree that I doubt either party lets this drag out for more than a week or two.

I agree we cant bank on the CBA situation, but i also understand if the Falcons are using that as leverage because if you based if on fact, the fact is there is not CBA in place and we dont know if one will be done before the deadline.

I'm not really one to place judgement on this type of thing but I believe they will take a look at his first 4 years as whole, instead of only the past 2 seasons like most of us are doing. He's had his ups and his downs. He may have alot of yards but only 16 TD's in 4 seasons, which could easily be mid to high 20's had he played better his first 2 seasons. But what goes on behind doors with this FO will never be put out there for us to discuss

Can't look at it that way and they won't. His first two years are developmental. You have to look at the player he has become and how valuable his play is to you right now. JMO but I think I'm right. Of course. lol. His third contract might be looked at as a whole but not a rookie contract. Too many times it takes players 2 to 3 years to develop. Most rookies take time.