Deadline (the other one): White’s justified if he holds out

atljbo

Link

Deadline (the other one): White’s justified if he holds out

10:52 am July 31, 2009, by Jeff Schultz

It's easy to tell this photo is from 2008 and not 2006 because Roddy White is celebrating. (Curtis Compton/ccompton@ajc.com)

Since we’re about five hours from the baseball trade deadline and I hear only crickets, I wanted to weigh in on something before players are scheduled to check in tonight for Falcons training camp: Lay off Roddy White.

Honestly, of all the things I’ve anticipated writing one day, defending White’s position in contract negotiations wasn’t one of them. He wasn’t a bust in his first two NFL seasons — he was whatever is south of that. A bust is someone who was thought to be able to play but can’t. South of that is someone who can play but just seems to have brain lock or keeps tripping over his own ego.

Case in point: DeAngelo Hall.

For his first two seasons, that was White. He was lazy. He was immature. He lacked focus. He dropped passes. He had 29 passes in his first season and 30 in his second, and for a while there I wasn’t sure if the Falcons would give him a third. But he started to turn into a receiver in year three and last season he played his way into the Pro Bowl, with career highs of 88 catches, 1,382 yards (a franchise record) and seven touchdowns.

Today, Roddy White is one of the premier receivers in the NFL. Probably top 10. He wants to be paid like it. Frankly, I don’t blame him. He has a year left on his contract, and before you start pounding your keyboard with the typical response — “He’s selfish! He’s disloyal! He won’t honor his contract!” — you need to understand that NFL players live in a different world than other pro athletes. In fact, they live in a different from almost anybody. NFL contracts are not fully guaranteed.

White’s original “five-year” contract, like every NFL “five-year” contract, is really more like a series of one-year contracts. White’s original $7.3 million contract had only $4.75 million guaranteed. The Falcons could’ve dumped him after season two or three and paid him only the minimal (if any) remaining guarantee. Loyalty is a two-way street.

I’m not debating the NFL’s system — the players union accepts that in the Collective Bargaining Agreement so I’m not going to argue. But you can’t expect a player to NOT debate his value with time left on his contract when ownership does the same thing after every season.

Given the way the Falcons have operated under owner Arthur Blank, I have little doubt the team will take care of White. But if the receiver chooses to hold out when training camp opens Saturday in Flowery Branch, I wouldn’t have a problem with it. Withholding services is his only leverage. He should use it.

Because if the Falcons dumped White two years ago and didn’t pay him the remaing $2.55 million left on his contract, nobody would’ve said a word.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a contract that he agreed to. The Falcons are living up to their end of it, he should do the same otherwise he should have had his agent negotiate a player option last year so that he could test the market if Atlanta didn't poney up. He chose not to do that, so no a holdout is not justified...

I don't want him to holdout, but on the bright side if he does holdout that gives the other WR's a chance to prove more and step up. White has been in the league for a few years now so getting into game shape and getting chemistry with Ryan won't be that big of a deal. I think something will get done and don't expect him to holdout because not once has he mentioned anything. Everything being said right now is just speculation on our part.

If he holds out I would expect it to be only one or two days so he can spend the time in the office with A.B. to get the deal done.

He has a contract that he agreed to. The Falcons are living up to their end of it, he should do the same otherwise he should have had his agent negotiate a player option last year so that he could test the market if Atlanta didn't poney up. He chose not to do that, so no a holdout is not justified...

Cappy I am in no way a proponent of hold outs but for a much different reason. This argument to me is kind of a little one sided as teams do not honor the contact they negotiate to maturation most of the time. So you are saying it's ok or the team but not the player??

Thats what I was thinking. Changing your contract two years before it is up is NOT loyalty. I could understand next year, but wanting to get better paid for what you have done the last two years and should have done before is a little bit new-age spoiled.

I have been trying to argue this point for a while now. I don't want to see a hold out but you better believe I understand it and don't blame him. I would too in his situation. Got to remember too that this is his rookie contract and it wasn't for very much. Almost half goes to the gov't and a lot ore to his agent. Then you buy a house for you and your mom then you are struggling to make it to your next contract. He has earned this and would anyone in their right mind risk losing that money when you know you have earned it and deserve it. He might go to practice but in y mind, it's the wrong thing to do. He has got to secure his and his family's future. He could go out in day one and blow out a knee (knocking on wood) and it could all be gone. Got to secure it first Roddy. I support you in whatever you decide. Be smart though. It's your future at steak.

He should just have faith that the FO will take care of him and show up for practice.

If he were to tear up his knee in practice, do you still think they would take care of him? I hope he doesn't hold out, but like the the writer, I can understand it.

As far as holding up his end of the deal, sure, he should, but if the team cut him 2 years ago, that would have been them not holding up their end and everyone would have been fine with it.

That said, I hope it's all just rumors since Roddy hasn't said this himself and he shows up to camp.

Thats what I was thinking. Changing your contract two years before it is up is NOT loyalty. I could understand next year, but wanting to get better paid for what you have done the last two years and should have done before is a little bit new-age spoiled.

NEWS FLASH: His contract is up next year. If there is no CBA deal done by next season then he will become a RFA instead of what he's supposed to be which is a UFA. Come on man, stop being selfish and worrying only about your interest. It is in his best interest to get this deal done before risking his future. Doesn't sound like anyone is caring about Roddy the person here. I get upset with guys like Chad Johnson who signs a deal then 2 years later complains about it but when you are in your rookie contract, which he has no choice to sign anyway and it is normally done in line with other draft picks, then I understand when you have busted out and became one of the best receivers in the league. Roddy has earned this and it is his future, not yours, on the line here.

There are mechanisms available to both sides in contract negotiations to protect their interests.

Owners do have the right to terminate a contract and void any remaining salary paid but the players are entitled to guaranteed bonus money regardless if they play or not. How is this unfair to a player that could sign with another team if he is able to do so?

In White's case, he was grossly overpaid in the first 2 years of his contract and has balanced that out by exceeding expectations the last 2 years. His new contract when it is signed, will reflect the new level of performance that White has delivered. As Cap pointed out, he could have negotiated a player option on his 5th year but did not. this situation is exactly why player options exist.

Why should a team be forced to pay more than was agreed to in the 5th year of a contract just because a player is doing what they are supposed to do? He was a first round pick. WRs taken in the first round should be Pro Bowlers. Love to watch him as a player but I am sick of players demanding more money before their contract is up.

Be a man and live up to your commitments.

NEWS FLASH: His contract is up next year. If there is no CBA deal done by next season then he will become a RFA instead of what he's supposed to be which is a UFA. Come on man, stop being selfish and worrying only about your interest. It is in his best interest to get this deal done before risking his future. Doesn't sound like anyone is caring about Roddy the person here. I get upset with guys like Chad Johnson who signs a deal then 2 years later complains about it but when you are in your rookie contract, which he has no choice to sign anyway and it is normally done in line with other draft picks, then I understand when you have busted out and became one of the best receivers in the league. Roddy has earned this and it is his future, not yours, on the line here.

I agree Roddy needs to get paid a fair contract, but i think that the New FO and Arthur have been pretty fair to players so i would think that Roddy and his agent would realize that and if they have told Roddy that they are working on a new contract then i would want him to show up to camp.

I wonder what everyone would say if Roddy's contract ended last year and the Falcons franchised him? If he did not want that contract but signed it would you still be on this kick. Roddy wants a new deal and should get one, but if he is franchised should he honor that code or would you be calling out the front office? Most rookie contracts are renegotiated before the end of their contract unless they are going to be let go.

As far as holding up his end of the deal, sure, he should, but if the team cut him 2 years ago, that would have been them not holding up their end and everyone would have been fine with it.

Actually, if they refused to pay him guaranteed money after cutting him, that would be failing to meet their obligations.

Teams pay players to play just like employers pay employees to work. Firing an employee who is not performing is not a breach of a contract just like terminating the contract of an underperforming player is not.

There are mechanisms available to both sides in contract negotiations to protect their interests.

Owners do have the right to terminate a contract and void any remaining salary paid but the players are entitled to guaranteed bonus money regardless if they play or not. How is this unfair to a player that could sign with another team if he is able to do so?

In White's case, he was grossly overpaid in the first 2 years of his contract and has balanced that out by exceeding expectations the last 2 years. His new contract when it is signed, will reflect the new level of performance that White has delivered. As Cap pointed out, he could have negotiated a player option on his 5th year but did not. this situation is exactly why player options exist.

Why should a team be forced to pay more than was agreed to in the 5th year of a contract just because a player is doing what they are supposed to do? He was a first round pick. WRs taken in the first round should be Pro Bowlers. Love to watch him as a player but I am sick of players demanding more money before their contract is up.

Be a man and live up to your commitments.

I am just going to comment on him being grossly over paid in his first two years. Most NFL players have to develop and part of that is up to the coaching staff. You also have to have a stable QB throwing to that guy. He wasn't over paid. He was young and developing. Almost all NFL players go through that. That would mean almost all NFL players are over paid for their first couple years. Please. It's part of the game not to mention that we had an inaccurate QB that never got the ball out there on time and our coaching staff was horrid. It took another receiver to come in and coach Roddy up. Why couldn't the receiver coach teach him how to be a professional. Here is a hint, he sucked. lol. I'm just sayin.

IF Roddy holds out, which I doubt, I can't blame him a bit. If you or I proved to be great at our job, and then had a chance to get a pay upgrade by moving to another company or getting a transfer, we'd apply for it. A holdout is the NFL equivalent. And don't give me the whole, "He's getting paid to play football!". Yeah, and he gets paid because only a few people can do what Roddy does.