Falcons Agree to Terms With LB Jamie Winborn

theProf

Team Makes it Official with Winborn

August 1st, 2009

Two days after the first reports that veteran linebacker Jamie Winborn had “agreed to terms” with the team, the Falcons signed the linebacker to a contract.

The deal was done Saturday morning before the first training camp practice. Winborn is on the field wearing No. 49.

To make room for the nine-year veteran, the team released rookie Rashad Bobino.

In 92 career games (32 starts), Winborn has logged 407 tackles (105 solo), 10 sacks, three interceptions, 23 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. The former Vanderbilt standout has spent time with the 49ers, Buccaneers, Jaguars and Broncos during his nine-year career.

An accomplished special-teamer, Winborn has also posted 46 career tackles covering kicks. In 2007 he led the Broncos with 11 special teams stops. In 2004, Winborn tallied his best statistical season with the 49ers. He ranked third on the team with 104 tackles, a career-high 4.5 sacks, one interception, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

For his efforts, he was nominated by his teammates for the Ed Block Courage Award after returning from an injury he suffered the previous season.

http://jmike.blogs.atlantafalcons.com/2009...l-with-winborn/

Falcons Agree to Terms With Winborn

By Doug Farrar

Falcon Insider

Posted Jul 30, 2009

As first reported by Scout.com’s Adam Caplan, the Atlanta Falcons have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with veteran linebacker Jamie Winborn. The 30-year old defender was released by the Broncos in February and has seen interest from many teams.

In 2008, Winborn replaced Boss Bailey on the strong side of Denver’s porous front seven after Bailey went on injured reserve in October. Selected in the second round of the 2001 draft out of Vanderbilt by the 49ers, Winborn has played for San Francisco, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, and Denver in his eight-year career.

He posted a career-high 99 tackles in 2008, and his Stop Rate against the run was 24th-best among linebackers, despite the fact that Denver’s front four gave the ‘backers almost no help. (Stop Rate is a Football Outsiders metric that measures a defender’s ability to prevent drives from succeeding, based on several factors). He also led all Denver linebackers in Plays (106) and Run Targets (60), but he was one of the odd men out when the Broncos decided to switch to a 3-4 defense full-time..

The Falcons get a nice depth and rotational option in Winborn, as their outside linebacker corps still has question marks despite the acquisition of Mike Peterson and the ascent of Stephen Nicholas.

http://atl.scout.com/a.z?s=122&p=2&c=883293

Falcons To Sign Veteran LB

by Adam Caplan of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, July 30, 2009 at 4:02pm ET

Jamie Winborn Profile

The Atlanta Falcons have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with free agent LB Jamie Winborn, a league source told Scout.com.

The former second-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers out of the 2001 draft is expected to play primarily at SLB for the Falcons, but may also see time at the remaining two linebacker spots.

Winborn, after leaving being released by the 49ers during the 2005 season, joined the Jacksonville Jaguars for five games. Over the next three seasons, the versatile linebacker played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Denver Broncos.

For more on the Falcons, check out Falcon Insider.

http://atl.scout.com/a.z?s=122&p=9&amp...89974&fhn=1

Link to career stats by year for Jamie Winborn:

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamiewinborn/profile?id=WIN030581

I think a bit of experience doesn't hurt.

Here's a profile of how he did for the Broncos last year.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player....mp;playerid=817

Interesting that the Broncos ran a lot more 3-4 sets than I had initially thought, after watching their game against the the Bucs they ran almost an exclusive 4-3 front with Winborn used as an OLB that didn't blitz ... maybe this is why we've brought him in?

Also interesting he probably had his best game against us :P

Interesting that the Broncos ran a lot more 3-4 sets than I had initially thought, after watching their game against the the Bucs they ran almost an exclusive 4-3 front with Winborn used as an OLB that didn't blitz ... maybe this is why we've brought him in?

Jamie Winborn had an outstanding game against the Falcons last season. He was credited with 10 Tackles, 8 of which were solo. Reminds me somewhat of the Ovie Mughelli signing in 2007, the year after he had such an outstanding game blocking against the Falcons LBs while with the Ravens.

i wonder if he is capable of putting his hand in the dirt... With what we have at LB and DE i can see us having alot of rotation and 3-4/4-3 shifts at snap.

I believe that is the point. Smith believes in rotation - keep 'em fresh on defense. Looks like a solid move - I trust this staff.

I suspect he may be used as a "coverage" linebacker since that is the biggest question mark with our linebacker corps.

He had 11 passes defended which was far more than Brooking and even more than Boley.

Excellent point Magnus. Last season Brooking and Boley were the LBs when Atlanta went into its pass defense packages, and both of them are now gone. We do know that the Falcons intend to play Lofton on all three downs in the upcoming season, including passing downs. I'm not sure how good Peterson is in pass coverage, but considering his age, I doubt that he will be playing that much on passing downs. Nicholas might get playing time as a blitzer or rush DE on some passing downs as he did last season, but I don't know about his pass coverage abilty. Evidently Winborn is good in pass coverage as evidenced by his 11 PDs last season. (BTW Brooking only had a total of 3 PDs last season and Boley had 9). Therefore, Winborn might get some significant playing time in Atlanta's pass defense packages as you are suggesting.

Excellent point Magnus. Last season Brooking and Boley were the LBs when Atlanta went into its pass defense packages, and both of them are now gone. We do know that the Falcons intend to play Lofton on all three downs in the upcoming season, including passing downs. I'm not sure how good Peterson is in pass coverage, but considering his age, I doubt that he will be playing that much on passing downs. Nicholas might get playing time as a blitzer or rush DE on some passing downs as he did last season, but I don't know about his pass coverage abilty. Evidently Winborn is good in pass coverage as evidenced by his 11 PDs last season. (BTW Brooking only had a total of 3 PDs last season and Boley had 9). Therefore, Winborn might get some significant playing time in Atlanta's pass defense packages as you are suggesting.

I 2nd that

it can only make our dfense better in term off depth and then more competition at linebacker coming into camp

Winborn will certainly add quality veteran depth to the LB position. I figure that 5 LBS are a lock: Lofton, Peterson, Nicholas, Wire, and now Winborn. Last season, Atlanta only carried 6 LBs on its 53 man roster. If Atlanta carries only 6 LBs again this season, there will be significant competition for the final LB roster spot between recent draftees Adkins and James, FA signee Miles (who does have some NFL game experience), Gilbert (who made the roster last year), and Bobino, undrafted FA who started 45 games for Texas.

I like the signing - you really want to be "6-deep" in a 4-3 system at linebacker

1. Curtis Lofton

2. Stephen Nicholas

3. Mike Peterson

4. Coy Wire

after those four, it is a lot of guesswork as to who will be good enough

1. Tony Gilbert?

2. Robert James?

3. Spencer Adkins?

4. Roshod Bobino?

I don't know about you but I don't think the Falcons can solidly know for sure that they can count on any of those guys - i'm sure out of those four that someone will emerge but - if they don't - we have Jamie Winborn - and that is a good thing.

This confirms that TD is a genious. Go out and get the pieces to supplement the draft you had. We now have a pretty solid LB corp, and I'll bet we add a vet in the secondary before the Dolphins game.

Well according to the article in scouts.com, many teams were showing an interest in Winborn. This was a very good signing by Dimitroff. I also think that Dimi might not yet be finished signing some additional vets. I agree with you that he might pick-up someone else for the Defensive Secondary, but moreso, a veteran Offensive Lineman due to the retiring of FA signee Newberry.

Well according to the article in scouts.com, many teams were showing an interest in Winborn. This was a very good signing by Dimitroff. I also think that Dimi might not yet be finished signing some additional vets. I agree with you that he might pick-up someone else for the Defensive Secondary, but moreso, a veteran Offensive Lineman due to the retiring of FA signee Newberry.

i agree, when asked if we would sign anyone else weeks back, i said maybe 1 or 2 more untill we get into camp and see what we have. I still think that is the case.

We definately need another veteran linemen...Newberry's retiring was crushing to say the least.

Durrty I know that you have put in a lot of thought in projecting the Falcons final 53-man roster. Who all do you now see making the final roster at the LB position? BTW I provided some of my initial thoughts on this earlier in the topic thread as follows:

I figure that 5 LBS are a lock: Lofton, Peterson, Nicholas, Wire, and now Winborn. Last season, Atlanta only carried 6 LBs on its 53 man roster. If Atlanta carries only 6 LBs again this season, there will be significant competition for the final LB roster spot between recent draftees Adkins and James, FA signee Miles (who does have some NFL game experience), Gilbert (who made the roster last year), and Bobino, undrafted FA who started 45 games for Texas.

I think a bit of experience doesn't hurt.

Here's a profile of how he did for the Broncos last year.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_player....mp;playerid=817

this is a very interesting pickup. I wonder if this pickup is because we are going to run more of a rotation (use nicholas on rushing downs) like you said...or that we aren't sold on nicholas? Or if the depth we currently have is just not adequate.

I'm not knocking the Jerry pick (i didn't like it btw) but i'm still shocked that we opted for a penetrating DT with all the LBs in this draft. i thought for sure at the least we'd grab Sintim or Maluagua in the second. Same way with all the secondary picks...If you look at our draft (one 6th round STs LB) you'd thought we were set at LB

Ditto for OLinemen. I'm curious to see how we approach OL depth (or starter) with Newberry retiring.

Good thing is that this front office is highly proactive and not afraid to sign or trade to fill holes.

Durrty I know that you have put in a lot of thought in projecting the Falcons final 53-man roster. Who all do you now see making the final roster at the LB position? BTW I provided some of my initial thoughts on this earlier in the topic thread as follows:

I figure that 5 LBS are a lock: Lofton, Peterson, Nicholas, Wire, and now Winborn. Last season, Atlanta only carried 6 LBs on its 53 man roster. If Atlanta carries only 6 LBs again this season, there will be significant competition for the final LB roster spot between recent draftees Adkins and James, FA signee Miles (who does have some NFL game experience), Gilbert (who made the roster last year), and Bobino, undrafted FA who started 45 games for Texas.

Prof, great post as usual. I'm thinking our LBs will be Lofton, Nicholas, Winborn, Peterson, Wire and either James or Adkins (the 6th rounder) either rounding out the corps, with the loser going to PS.

But part of me thinks we could carry an extra LB as well. If you look at our secondary guys. We are getting more and more guys that can play either cb or s and multiple formations. Decoud played cb in college; chevis can play safety. Middleton (if he makes it) is "swing guy." Ditto for the Dline where JA98 can play both DT and DE, as can Babs. The reason i brought this up is because with the changes in wedge rules on STs, fast LBs that can hit are going to be crucial on STs. And James and Adkins both project to awesome STs guys.

Am i way off?