Will UGA win a BCS Title under Richt

jgator21

What once seemed inevitable remains an unanswered question. In 2002 or 2004 or even 2008, Mark Richt was primed to guide his program to a national championship. But he’s about to enter his ninth season as Georgia’s coach and the Bulldogs haven’t gotten there yet, and only once in 11 years has the BCS title been taken by a coach who’d been in place that long — Bobby Bowden of Florida State in 1999.

That Richt is a good coach is beyond dispute. He has won at least 10 games in six of the past seven seasons. He has led Georgia to three SEC East titles and two conference championships. He recruits at the highest level and just saw two Bulldogs taken among the top dozen in the NFL draft. Georgia has finished in the top 10 of at least one major poll five times and in top five twice. But it hasn’t won, or even played for, the BCS title.

Last season was supposed to be the breakthrough. Georgia had finished No. 2 in the AP poll after the 2007 season and was ranked No. 1 last August. It wound up 10-3, and if ever 10-3 could be considered a rank disappointment this was the time. At season’s end the coach made much of the 10-win season in light of so many injuries — and the Bulldogs did have a bunch — but for the first time under Richt it was possible to look on UGA and think, “That team wasn’t very well coached.”

And now Richt has a new quarterback (and figures to have another new one in 2010) and his team has been given almost no chance to win the East, where Florida reigns, and the question occurs: Have we seen the best of this gifted coach? Or is Richt, who has done much already, capable of more?

To be fair, Richt hasn’t failed so much as he has been unlucky. LSU won the 2003 BCS crown with one loss a year after one loss cost Georgia a berth in the championship game. LSU won the 2007 title with two losses after emerging from a league that also housed Georgia, which likewise had two losses. Sometimes you have the right team at the wrong time.

But last year’s glaring issues — the rash of penalties and the defensive collapses in Georgia’s three losses — have made some among us wonder if Richt is too nice to finish No. 1. He has vowed to be stricter regarding discipline this time, and it must be noted Georgia didn’t face the same problems with players being arrested this summer as last. And he has promoted John Jancek to co-defensive coordinator alongside Willie Martinez, whom Richt has never once criticized.

Still, it’s worth noting that Steve Spurrier needed six seasons at Florida to win a national championship, and it didn’t happen until he hired Bob Stoops from Kansas State to coordinate the Gator defense. And Mack Brown took Texas to the BCS title in his eighth season in Austin only after importing Gene Chizik from Auburn to lead the Longhorn D. Something similar might need to happen for Georgia and Richt to take the final step.

But would Richt, for whom family and fraternity are of massive import, ever demote or fire Martinez? Is keeping a longtime friend who’s a solid coach — solid as opposed to inspired — more important to him than taking a risk that might (or might not) lead to a greater reward?

We know Mark Richt can coach football. What we still don’t know after eight years of watching is whether he’s pragmatic enough to be a national championship coach.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I PREDICT THAT THE DAWGS WILL WIN THE MNC IN 2 YEARS. I ALSO PREDICT THAT THE DAWGS WILL BEAT FLORIDA THIS SEASON.... I ALSO PREDICT THAT THE VOLS WILL BEAT FLORIDA THIS SEASON..... I ALSO PREDICT THAT OHIO STATE WILL WIN IT ALL THIS YR

I predict that you'll be wrong. I'm one of the most loyal Vol fans, but I really don't see a win over Florida this year. I also don't see Ohio State winning it all this year. I'm also not thinking that UGA will beat Florida.

As for the thread topic, if he wins it, I think it will be in a year that they're not predicted to be in the Top 5. They had surprisingly successful seasons in 03 and 05 when the spotlight and pressure wasn't on them and didn't quite live up to expectations in 04 or 08 when they were predicted to finish in the Top 5.

I PREDICT THAT THE DAWGS WILL WIN THE MNC IN 2 YEARS. I ALSO PREDICT THAT THE DAWGS WILL BEAT FLORIDA THIS SEASON.... I ALSO PREDICT THAT THE VOLS WILL BEAT FLORIDA THIS SEASON..... I ALSO PREDICT THAT OHIO STATE WILL WIN IT ALL THIS YR

Silly noob trix are for kidz

It will happen-matter of time. Beat Florida two out of the past five years when it looked like it wasn't going to be done after losing his first three to them. Beaten LSU a couple times along the way around when LSU was winning titles too. The turnover/ballwillbounceourway ratio will hit right for the Dawgs soon. Stringing together an awful lot of 10 win seasons. Hopefully 2011 or before. Recruiting's on target for it to happen.

It will happen-matter of time. Beat Florida two out of the past five years when it looked like it wasn't going to be done after losing his first three to them. Beaten LSU a couple times along the way around when LSU was winning titles too. The turnover/ballwillbounceourway ratio will hit right for the Dawgs soon. Stringing together an awful lot of 10 win seasons. Hopefully 2011 or before. Recruiting's on target for it to happen.

it will indeed happen.. uga had 2 national championship runs and couldn't help that no one lost in from of them in 2002 and they lost to the wrong team in 2007. kinda of like uf needed usc to lose to ucla for them to get a chance in 2006 and last year no team was undefeated ahead of them in 2008.. just depends on the year..

You are right about the uga/uf game this year. I don't agree with the ohio state prediction nor the vols prediction.. and we will win a nc in the next 2 to 3 years..

Mark Richt has been HC for 8 season now, and has been in position to play for a NC twice. Luck didn't break his way either time so the title remains elusive, but how long were other great coaches HCs before they won a NC?

Bear Bryant - 3rd year at Alabama, but 16th year coaching

Robert Neyland - 12th year as HC

Vince Dooley - 17th year as HC

Shug Jordan - 7th year HC

I can go on, but the pattern is similar. Most great coaches in history don't win the NC in the first couple of years as a HC. Pete Carroll and Urban Meyer are exceptions, but most coaches take a little while to build a program. That helped out Urban a lot, the fact that Zook left the cabinets full to near overflowing. Georgia had some talent, but not on that level when CMR came here. I felt at the beginning of last year that he would play for a NC in the next 5 years. I still believe that.

There is so much luck involved in winning the BCS beauty contest. While there are things to criticize Richt for, not being lucky enough to get the nod from a flawed system shouldn't be one of them. He went 13-1 and won the SEC in 2002. That identical record was good enough to get Florida a bid in the NC game. But Richt did it in a year where Ohio State and Miami happened to both go undefeated. In 2007 he finished with an identical record and ranked higher than the team that ended up winning the NC.

If division 1A awarded it's "National Championship" in a legitimate manner, then we may have completely different opinions about some coaches.

You are right about the uga/uf game this year. I don't agree with the ohio state prediction nor the vols prediction.. and we will win a nc in the next 2 to 3 years..

That is hilarious that you say that because every bama fan around here swears on their children's graves that Saban is bringing them the next 20 national championships.

It'll happen...and while I've been disappointed in the coaching (the D) and feel like Richt is loyal to a fault...what did Meyer or Miles do when they won that Richt didn't do in '02?

Like others have said...the beauty contest that is the BCS doesn't really permit us to say "He hasn't one a NC so he's not as good as _____." It's not like the Bball tourney where it's settled on the field.

If college football scraps the BCS and goes to a playoff system, yes I think Mark Richt will have the Dawgs winning a college football championship. His teams (along with most of the SEC) are built to endure longer stretches of tough games than the cupcakes out west (when was the last time USC had 3 or more consecutive dogfights? I may do the research in a second and come back here). I guess we can all dream.

It'll happen...and while I've been disappointed in the coaching (the D) and feel like Richt is loyal to a fault...what did Meyer or Miles do when they won that Richt didn't do in '02?

Like others have said...the beauty contest that is the BCS doesn't really permit us to say "He hasn't one a NC so he's not as good as _____." It's not like the Bball tourney where it's settled on the field.

Quite simply, they didn't beat Florida that year. UGA will never win a championship in a year that they lose to UF. Game happens too late in the season to recover...

meyer and miles didn't do anything different than cmr did do in 2002 in their nc years.. they all lost games which meant they hoped on others to lose.. two teams didnt' lose in 2002. meyer had to hope that usc lost to a bad ucla team or they don't get a chance to play in 2006.. then he had to whine like crazy to be given a shot over michigan and it worked. then in 2008 he had to hope no team ahead of him went undefeated.. in 2002 neither uf team would have won the nc. in 2007 miles lost late in fact lost on the last weekend of the regular season so they proved those type of late losses won't stop you from playing for the nc. miles was fortunate that west virginia lost to a bad pitt team at home. If we had a playoff cmr could very well have 2 ncs, but we don't so you just hope the year you get the breaks that other teams have gotten.. in any other year lsu wouldn't have played for a title.. cmr will have things fall into place for him.

Mark Richt seems to have the same problem Lloyd Carr had the nice guy approach. Nice guys don't win in college football anymore you have to National titles at least. You have to be shrewd, cocky, arrogant and have a killer instinct that is willing to run the score up on your opponent to receive beauty points in the media. Mark Richt does not have any of these qualities so the likely hood of him ever winning a National Title are greatly limited. Mark Richt nice guy approach translate to his teams which constantly underachieve and overachieve that don't handle pressure really well. With copaches like Nick Saban, Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, Pete Carroll, Urban Myer, Rich Rod, Butch Davis who are willing to sell there unborn children to win at all cost good guys like Tressel and Richt are going to find it hard to win over the media like those other coaches. Good guys finish last. This whole luck argument is a bit over done, IMO. The key is to give the media what they want high scoring highlight filled games with a coach that could careless about his opponent.

So will Mark Richt win a BCS Title at UGA I don't think so but that is just my $0.02 FWIW. -_- -_-

Mark Richt seems to have the same problem Lloyd Carr had the nice guy approach. Nice guys don't win in college football anymore you have to National titles at least. You have to be shrewd, cocky, arrogant and have a killer instinct that is willing to run the score up on your opponent to receive beauty points in the media. Mark Richt does not have any of these qualities so the likely hood of him ever winning a National Title are greatly limited. Mark Richt nice guy approach translate to his teams which constantly underachieve and overachieve that don't handle pressure really well. With copaches like Nick Saban, Les Miles, Lane Kiffin, Pete Carroll, Urban Myer, Rich Rod, Butch Davis who are willing to sell there unborn children to win at all cost good guys like Tressel and Richt are going to find it hard to win over the media like those other coaches. Good guys finish last. This whole luck argument is a bit over done, IMO. The key is to give the media what they want high scoring highlight filled games with a coach that could careless about his opponent.

So will Mark Richt win a BCS Title at UGA I don't think so but that is just my $0.02 FWIW. -_- -_-

Not much doubt he developed his approach from Bobby Bowden. How'd that approach work for Bowden in his prime? He didn't exactly finish last. The luck thing applies directly to UGA in 02-the BCS system belongs in video games only.

So guys like tressel won't win a championship? Guess what he did.. Rich developed his way of coaching from bobby bowden and he won an nc as well. It took tom osbourne almost his entire coaching career to finally get a nc. in fact 3 out of 4 years. He was not a jerk either. You lose a game and it's out of your control and whether you are a nice guy or not has nothing to do with 2 undefeated teams ahead of you, usc losing to ucla, or west virginia losing to pitt. That has more to do with circumstances that you can't control instead of whether you are a jerk or a nice guy.

Not much doubt he developed his approach from Bobby Bowden. How'd that approach work for Bowden in his prime? He didn't exactly finish last. The luck thing applies directly to UGA in 02-the BCS system belongs in video games only.
So guys like tressel won't win a championship? Guess what he did.. Rich developed his way of coaching from bobby bowden and he won an nc as well. It took tom osbourne almost his entire coaching career to finally get a nc. in fact 3 out of 4 years. He was not a jerk either. You lose a game and it's out of your control and whether you are a nice guy or not has nothing to do with 2 undefeated teams ahead of you, usc losing to ucla, or west virginia losing to pitt. That has more to do with circumstances that you can't control instead of whether you are a jerk or a nice guy.

Bobby Bowden won his in the late 90's as did Lloyd Carr.

02 is the perfect example had Mark Richt did what Myer did in 06 for the Gators got on National TV and proclaim UGA as the best and that they deserved to be in that National Title game over Miami we would not be having this conversation. mark Richt is too much of a nice guy to do that and feels that the system should decide his teams fate a nice guy approach. Would Myer, Carroll, Saban or Miles have stood by and accepted what the system gave them or would they have launched a campaign for there team to play in the National Title game? Yes but Tressel was the only undefeated team than. Tressel will not win another NC.

If your team does not win with style and flash and tons of highlight which come from running up the score you will be hard pressed to compete with team that do. Nice guys finish last.

Bobby Bowden won his in the late 90's as did Lloyd Carr.

02 is the perfect example had Mark Richt did what Myer did in 06 for the Gators got on National TV and proclaim UGA as the best and that they deserved to be in that National Title game over Miami we would not be having this conversation. mark Richt is too much of a nice guy to do that and feels that the system should decide his teams fate a nice guy approach. Would Myer, Carroll, Saban or Miles have stood by and accepted what the system gave them or would they have launched a campaign for there team to play in the National Title game? Yes but Tressel was the only undefeated team than. Tressel will not win another NC.

If your team does not win with style and flash and tons of highlight which come from running up the score you will be hard pressed to compete with team that do. Nice guys finish last.

First off your nice guys finish last statement was already proven wrong with the above comments by other posters. Also in 2002 it would not have matter what CMR did. He had two teams undefeated and there was no way he was going to be able to talk his way of jumping them. Meyer couldn't have either. It just wasn't going to happen. None of the coaches you listed could have done anything about that. Why do you think uf fans were cheering for penn state to lose a game? They knew they were not going to jump an undefeated penn state team. None of the coaches you listed would have done anything in 2002. Bobby Bowden, Jim Tresell, Mack Brown, and Tom osbourne were all considered good guys and all won national titles.

Quite simply, they didn't beat Florida that year. UGA will never win a championship in a year that they lose to UF. Game happens too late in the season to recover...

Not so much...

quite simply it came down to luck. OSU was able to squeak out a last second victory against Purdue, Illinois, and held off Michigan...where as a in '06...Florida and Arkansas happened to look up at the scoreboard and see that USC coughed one up to the crosstown rivals...and whoever won the SECCG was sliding into the title game. Not unlike WV blowing it to Pitt 2 years ago and LSU backing in...after losing a game at the end of the regular season.