Mia @ Atl

As you all know we have one of the hardest schedules in the league this year...

However if there is one game we should be confident about it, it's this one...

First of all its in our house, plus its a season opener.

Most people would agree that our offense in every aspect is better than theres...

Rushing Attack: ATL Turner>Brown

Protection: ATL All they have is Jake Long, one person cant guard the qb. We have Dahl, Baker, and Gonzalez(he will greatly improve our line)

Receiving: ATL White/Jenkins/Douglas outweigh Miamis receiving corps like crazy plus Gonzalez gives us an extra red zone threat

Quarterback: ATL Ryan vs Pennington (speaks for itself)

With all that being said about our offense lets move forth to our defense.

I am calling our Defense to be the dumbfoudning suprise of the 09 season. We have improved in all positions of our defense,

Even Though our Defense might not be as game changing as our offense might be, we are overwhelmingly more dominant than the Miami Defense.

D-Line: ATL Our d-line is much more improved then last year. Abe is gna be able to get help from Jerry and Lewis. Miamis D-line is a joke compared to ours.

Line backers: TIE It's hard to say, this is more of a toss up. I Would give the edge to Miami but I really think that Lofton, Peterson, and Nicholas are going to have very sucesfull chemistry togther.

Secondary: MIA Our secondary is very young and needs improvement. Wilson and Bell have more expiernce then whoevers going to start at both saftey postions for us. Our corners are undersized and Houston does not have ball displine. However maybe theyll be different in 09 who knows. As for now the edge goes to Miami.

So basically i believe this game is going to be a highscoring game on our part. People who say were one-year wonders this is going to be our response to you. Were going to be on top more then ever. Matty Ice has been in the weight room ever since we lost to Arizona. His improvements are scary, and the final score of this game will be scary....(at least for the Dolphins fans :P )

34-6 Falcons

No way its that big of a win for you guys. It shows that you did not watch ONE drive of Dolphins Football last year.

And Ronnie Brown has been one of the top running backs the last 2 years. Was the best in '07 before he got injured in the middle of the season, even with a winless team.

And last year, he was really good.

You are really underestimating our team

I never said your team was bad, I'm trying to make a point that our team is better.

You honestly think Brown is better than Turner...

You've got to be kidding me... I'll admit Brown plays at a pro bowl calibur level however Turner is just something else. And if you don't know that then u havent watched a Faclons drive last season.

But open your eyes this season buddy cause all you going to season is the back of turners jersey in the end zone....

No way its that big of a win for you guys. It shows that you did not watch ONE drive of Dolphins Football last year.

And Ronnie Brown has been one of the top running backs the last 2 years. Was the best in '07 before he got injured in the middle of the season, even with a winless team.

We ARE underestimating your team, I agree.

Falcons win : 34-7.

:)

I never said your team was bad, I'm trying to make a point that our team is better.

You honestly think Brown is better than Turner...

You've got to be kidding me... I'll admit Brown plays at a pro bowl calibur level however Turner is just something else. And if you don't know that then u havent watched a Faclons drive last season.

But open your eyes this season buddy cause all you going to season is the back of turners jersey in the end zone....

When did I say that Brown was better than Turner? I havent even seen Turner play too much so how can I make that comment? And by saying your guys were so much better than ours you pretty much did say my team was bad.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11824674

Dolphins have good chance to return to playoffs

June 5, 2009

By Michael Lombardi (National Football Post)

The Miami Dolphins were the real surprise team of 2008, winning the AFC East after suffering a 1-15 season in 2007. The turnaround was a huge surprise, considering that at one point they were 2-4 and had lost 20 of 21 games. Then they won nine of the next 10 -- tying them with the 1999 Indianapolis Colts for the best turnaround in NFL history. Who saw this coming? No one.

This year, expectations are running high in Miami, but there's a sense in the NFL that they won't return to the playoffs, that last year was an aberration. Every year, it seems, half the playoff teams from the previous season don't return. Are the Fins one of them? Let's look.

Why they can return

Miami can return because no other team can protect the football as well as the Dolphins. In large part, this is because they know who they are as a team -- they don' try to do things that don't fit their style or personality. The Dolphins have what I call "product quality control," which comes from having Bill Parcells sitting in the big office and reminding the coaches to "do what we do best -- know who we are." Last year, they had a plus-17 turnover exchange. They also missed only four field goals in 25 attempts (which are turnovers), and their opponents missed three, so they were minus-1 in that area. They protect the ball in all phases of the game, so don't expect this to change in 2009.

Each week in game-plan meetings, coaches on both sides of the ball put in plays that they like each week. In Miami, however, they focus on what it will take to win (I hate the saying, "what we like this week." I prefer "What it will take for us to win this week."). For example, what are four or five critical aspects of the game, in all three phases, that must be honed in order for Miami to be in position to win? You might beat the Dolphins next season, but it will require hard work and careful game planning along with solid execution.

Miami won last year because of its attention to detail and its ability to play well in the red zone on defense, making it very hard for the opponent to score touchdowns.

Forget the yards-against stats. Pay close attention to who plays great defense in the red zone -- that's where you'll find a team in every game. Miami ranked ninth in points allowed last year because of its red-zone performance.

Conversely, when the Dolphins moved the ball into the red zone, they ranked seventh in scoring touchdowns. They're good at keeping opponents from scoring and very good at finishing drives. This is what makes a team effective.

The Dolphins might not have been very talented at wide receiver last season, but they rarely dropped passes. They finished fourth in the NFL in dropped passes, which for me is a huge statistic. (Side note: Back in the 1980s, everyone in college football wanted to install the BYU offense, but the missing aspect of the attack was that they rarely dropped passes. It's in the execution, not in the plays.) The Dolphins might not have been talented at wideout, but they could execute. Expect them to execute again this year.

The Dolphins have quality execution. They protect the football. They also have some very talented young defensive linemen who will show marked improvement this year. The rarity of injuries allows them a lot of practice time as a total team (keeping the number of practices with pads down late in the year, which ultimately hurts football teams late in the season). All these factors make the Dolphins a tough team in 2009.

Why they can't return

The schedule will get tougher. Along with playing the AFC East, they have to play the AFC/NFC South teams. In fact, after the first week of December, all their remaining games will be against non-AFC East teams but AFC teams nonetheless. Their final six games of the regular season are against AFC teams, which leaves them little margin for error in any tiebreaker scenario. But one area of the schedule that does help the Dolphins is that they avoid cold-weather games -- their two road games in December are in Jacksonville and Tennessee.

They will not make it back to the playoffs next season if they don't improve in the field-position battle and special teams. They allowed over 13 yards per punt return and over 24 yards on kickoff returns last season. These are the kinds of hidden yards that place stress on a defense. To fix this area requires an improvement in players near the bottom of the roster. They need to be better at making tackles in space. This weakness goes hand in hand with the Dolphins secondary's poor tackling. They ranked 29th in the NFL in allowing yards after the catch. The Fins have to become a better-tackling team in all phases (this weakness is understandable; when taking over a 1-15 team, it's hard to improve the entire roster in Year 1).

So can they?

The Dolphins are a very good football team -- they weren't just lucky last year. They are extremely well-coached and they have incredible attention to detail, making their opponents play their best. They force opponents to find alternative ways to win the game. They are disciplined. They have a "Born to Run" mentality to keep doing what they do well. (That is when teams don't get bored doing the same things. They perform with enthusiasm, as Bruce Springsteen does every time he plays Born to Run in concert.)

I like the Dolphins. I like their team toughness, and I like them to be back in the playoffs next season.

Michael Lombardi spent 23 years in the NFL as a high level executive and currently writes for The National Football Post.

I agree, I say the Fins win this one. :)

When did I say that Brown was better than Turner? I havent even seen Turner play too much so how can I make that comment? And by saying your guys were so much better than ours you pretty much did say my team was bad.

get out of here...who let a fins fan in here?! long story short....fins suck falcons rule falcons win 35-14.

:huh: whats up with all these fin threads

I agree, it is fin crazy up in here. Either way we are going to win and yes I will underestimate the Dolphins, who dont have a legitmate WR, but i feel like our defense should defend the run better than last year so that lessens my worries about the Dolphins.

I agree, I say the Fins win this one. :)

This is the Atlanta vs. Miami game. You know that right?

Not the Tampa vs. Miami game.

Go to your own board for that prediction.

As for your team.

All I have to say is lol.

Thanks for your concern and imput, sir.

As for us. This won't be a blowout. Miami fans really do hang their hat way too much on this wildcat formation, calling it "upgraded," "advanced, etc. Whatever you want to call it. Having said that, I do respect their team, their coach, and sure as **** Parcells. He knows what he's doing. Falcons win, but not in blowout fashion.

You guys can thank old Brett Favre for your success last season. B)

I agree, it is fin crazy up in here. Either way we are going to win and yes I will underestimate the Dolphins, who dont have a legitmate WR, but i feel like our defense should defend the run better than last year so that lessens my worries about the Dolphins.

We dont have a lights out receiver, but all of our receivers are above average. They're situation receivers. One if we need a deep threat, one an endzone threat, one has soft hands, one doesent drop any balls, our TE's can catch the balls anywhere. I rather have that than a true #1 and the rest of the crew being lackluster.

And we have a very young receiveing corps. You never know what can happen.

And the wildcat, which by the end of last season I started hating, is improved. Pat White is better than Ronnie Brown for the situation. He adds the passing threat and can run the ball pretty **** well. Whether you thought that Brown was good for it then that's another thing. An improvement IS an improvement

You guys can thank old Brett Favre for your success last season. B)

We went 1-1 against "old Brett Favre". He didnt help us do anything. He actually got pretty lucky against us in Week 1, as our secondary couldnt catch one pass even though they had like a 10 second hang time.

And that same "old Brett Favre" was 8-3 at a time last season. Remember?

I'd give the edge to the fins on defense and the edge to the falcons on offense. Should make for a close game.

My Prediction

If the Falcons can stop the run they win this game fairly easily, but I still think there is a huge ?? about our defense's ability to stop the run, we lost Grady and although he wasn't as effective last year as he was in 06-07 we didn't really replace him with another big NT that demands double teams. I have a major concern that this season will be a repeat of the 2005 season.

And the wildcat, which by the end of last season I started hating, is improved. Pat White is better than Ronnie Brown for the situation. He adds the passing threat and can run the ball pretty **** well. Whether you thought that Brown was good for it then that's another thing. An improvement IS an improvement

You think White will be ready to run the Offense this year? He's still a rookie and he will time to get acclimated to the game. He is not a viable #2 QB if Pennington goes down and he is a little fragile. So that means he would have to be a WR or RB so that he isn't taking up that 2nd QB spot. Or how ever the rostering thing shakes out. I never quite understand it...

You think White will be ready to run the Offense this year? He's still a rookie and he will time to get acclimated to the game. He is not a viable #2 QB if Pennington goes down and he is a little fragile. So that means he would have to be a WR or RB so that he isn't taking up that 2nd QB spot. Or how ever the rostering thing shakes out. I never quite understand it...

In Week 1, he might not be ready to lead the wildcat, nevertheless the whole offense. He has been struggling at OTA's. He will be our #2 QB for one reason, and one reason only. Chad Henne will be our #3. Once the #3 QB comes into the game, the #1 and #2 QB's cant play, or only the #2, someone please clarify that.So if White was the 3rd QB, and he comes, Chad Henne cant play anymore. So if Chad Pennington gets injured in the middle of the game, Pat White will have to be our standard QB and thats not what he was brought here for. We already have 3 reliable RB's and too many WR's, so that wont be happening