Contract talks not going well for White

atljbo

Link

Contract talks not going well for White

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Offseason negotiations on a contract extension for Pro Bowl wide receiver Roddy White have not gone well.

“We’ve had a series of discussions with Roddy’s representatives,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “Those discussions are ongoing right now. That’s all I care to say. Hopefully, we’ll come to an agreement some time in the future.”

The Falcons are set to open training camp Saturday.

White’s agent, Jonathan Feinsod, had “no comment” about White’s situation or the possibility of a holdout.

Last season, the Falcons reached contract extensions with wide receiver Michael Jenkins and defensive tackle Jonathan Babineaux, sending a message that they wanted to reward their own productive players.

Jenkins received a four-year contract worth $20 million. Babineaux received a five-year contract for an undisclosed amount.

White, who was drafted 27th in the first round of the 2005 draft, caught 88 passes for 1,382 yards and seven touchdowns last season and was selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time. In 2007, he caught 83 passes for 1,202 yards and six touchdowns as the team went 4-12.

White is set to make $2.28 million on the last year of his five-year contract.

The market for high-level receivers increased recently when Green Bay completed a three-year, $27 million extension with Greg Jennings.

Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald has the highest average annual salary of wide receivers at $10 million. Tampa Bay’s Antonio Bryant received the team’s franchise tag and is set to make $9.88 million this season.

Other top receiver salaries include, Buffalo’s Lee Evans ($9.3 million), Seattle’s T.J. Houshmandzadeh ($7.8 million), Dallas’ Roy Williams ($7.8 million) and Houston’s Andre Johnson ($7.5 million).

White’s position is that he could suffer a career-ending injury, and there are no fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL. He said during the offseason that he wanted to have his contract situation resolved before the season started. What wasn’t clear was whether White meant the start of training camp or the start of the regular season.

However, the Falcons are under no duress to complete an extension. White is under contract for the season and could become a restricted free agent for one year because the NFL owners opted out of the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA, the player’s union, and could face “uncapped” salary requirements next season. White would lose the leverage that comes with entering unrestricted free agency when his contact expires.

“Roddy has taken care of business,” Dimitroff said. “He is obviously a very talented football player. He definitely fits into that category [with Jenkins and Babineaux as players they want to reward].”

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Roddy knows he needs to be there.I hope he realizes we need to all be present and healthy from the get go in order to maintain the moral this young team needs to succeed.

I agree he does need to be there, i think he will esepcially since TD has stated that they want to reward him and i agree with Tandy that a contract will be done before the season starts.

I wonder what everyone will say if he holds out. It wouldnt be smart on his behalf to miss much time b/c of "open" competition. Someone can step in and take his spot if they show maximum improvement

Believe me, his position is safe. He is by far the most talented receiver we got and football is about winning. This guy has earned this right and, imo, he would be stupid not to hold out even though it will pain me if he does. This will be his first big time contract and if he goes to camp and blows a knee like Javon Walker did a few years back then he can kiss that big money contract5 goodbye. It is not a smart business move to go into the last year of your rookie contract without solidifying your future. TD GET THIS DONE!!! He has earned a big payday and please don't compare him to players like Babs and Jenkins because he is on an entire different level. Please get this done and quick.

i understand Roddy White concern... He has proved that he is a playmaker..... If the guy blow a knee out in training camp then thats it.... Ge wants security...... I understand that...... Thomas Dimitroff wants to pay the guy tho so Roddy just need to take a leap of faith dealing with the Falcons...... He will get paid

If Roddy holdout i wont like it but i will understand

It would suck if Roddy White held out of camp. It won't be the end of the world if he did miss TC, but I hope the Falcons can award the guy for his play. He has consistently been a bright spot through the darkness (2007) and good times (2008) after changing it around at the end of his 2nd year.

Guest Gritz

I have mixed feelings about a holdout by Roddy. The "old school" part of me hates holdouts...you should honor the contract you already have. The practical part of me though understands why Roddy might have to do that to give a jolt to the Falcons front office.

Roddy isn't a malcontent or a bad guy. A holdout won't change my perception of him....... ;)

I have mixed feelings about a holdout by Roddy. The "old school" part of me hates holdouts...you should honor the contract you already have. The practical part of me though understands why Roddy might have to do that to give a jolt to the Falcons front office.

Roddy isn't a malcontent or a bad guy. A holdout won't change my perception of him....... ;)

Agree completely. I wouldn't expect a long holdout in any case, maybe a week to start camp. I wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I hope he doesn't hold out...we need all of our guys present for training camp, period. My guess is White's asking for more than what Dimitroff is willing to give him...a 3-year, $27 million contract isn't too high or low, but hopefully we'll have this resolved before then.

The old school in me still understands (even tho im just 21)....... If a guy is in his 2nd contract or more and is complaining about his contract 2 years later.... Thats not cool (Even tho it wasnt true ... thats why i thought the McClure and Abe contract problem wasnt cool)....... N ow if its a guy still in his rookie contract and he has proved himself (and have only 1 year on his contract) .... I can understand that guy...... That guy did not get the Huge guaranteed or signing bonus yet... He has to look out for himself

Roddy White rookie is 5-year $7.3 million, $4.75 million in guaranteed money .... The guy has earned a contract extension ....... Thomas Dimitroff has shown that he will extend the contracts of our core players........ Something will happen

Dang ... Thomas Dimitroff has to deal with Peria Jerry and Roddy White contracts ...... Hopefully Norwood is good

As someone that's been in contract negotiations with the Falcons, I can tell ya that, well,.....I can tell ya that I got mine and I hope Roddy gets his! :lol: J/K

They gotta get this worked out and I'm sure they will.

Does the phrase "Patience Is A Virtue" come to mind?