Our we going into the season with the secondary we have?

JT

I havent been posted anything in a while but I wanted to know what was going on with our defense secondary. Are we going after anybody in free agency like Chris McCalister (I think he's still avalible) or someone?

Who's stepping up in our secondary? Whats going on!!!!

It seems to me we are still weak in our secondary and need to grab a corner with some experience...................................Your thoughts ATL.

(again I have been away for a while due to internet probs but fill me in on whats going on ATL)

P.S.

I meant to put are not our in the topic...........my bad! LOL. just excited to be able to post again!

Well, I think the FO is pretty happy with our secondary right now and will wait and see till the first week of the training camp is over till they decide if we need help or not. I don't really expect us to sign somebody before the camp starts ... and to be honest, I think we'll sign some OLine (or maybe DL) help rather than another CB.

But like junior12785 said ... all we can do is guess.

If we wanted to spend money on a high-priced CB free agent, we would have just kept Foxworth!

I'm happy with Owens, Grimes, Jackson, Middleton, and Von Hutchins all competing for playing time, may the best man win.

If our DL/pass rush does their job, CB will be a non-issue.

I, personally, think we're fine with the current secondary that we have.

Having a more experienced CB across from Houston would be nice, but in this defense, you don't need your CBs to be strong in man coverage. Or so I've heard.

Besides, if we get a good pass rush going, the secondary won't be an issue.

I think we go with what we have. Sure, maybe somebody gets cut lose in a numbers situation that the team is interested in. I feel good about what we have. We have young players at CB, but I’m a fan of those guys as long as they can run and have proven ability on the college level that can translate to the NFL.

Also, remember what most were saying when DeAngelo Hall was traded? I remember a lot of “we don’t need a high priced CB.” I understand why the Falcons got rid of Hall but I have to say I was a big fan of his and hated to see him go despite the “hot headed” nature he had (but that is another story). The zone system we play should work out well with Houston, Jackson, Owens, Middleton, Grimes and Hutchins. Besides Jackson, most of the guys are short but zone is more about the fundamentals of the system vs. a CB being able to match up his abilities one on one with opposing WRs.

Owens has the best skill set to be our future starter, it will be interesting to see the training camp battle...big time

I would like to see Owens too. I just dont know if he will be ready for the first week. Thats why I think Jackson will start. Then I think Owens will take it around maybe the 3rd or 4th week.

I would like to see Owens too. I just dont know if he will be ready for the first week. Thats why I think Jackson will start. Then I think Owens will take it around maybe the 3rd or 4th week.

You cant learn from watching on the sideline..Thats why he should get thrown into the fire this season so he can grasp the position immediately, and if he is continue to struggle in within 3-4 weeks, then take him out.

We couldn't find a spot for Irons...why do we need more bodies?

I don't mean to be rude, but David Irons is Not Chris Mcallister, nor is rookies Owens or Middleton, nor is Von Hutchins who I had no clue played in the league until he came to the falcons

By the way for those who dont know, Hutchins was the starter for one year

I appreciate optimism but reality is my friend, and the reality is the secondary is weak and will be the focal point of anyone who is planning an offensive attack point

Which is good and bad, good if the rookies respond bad if they start getting taxed

Just A little experience would be beneficial to the CB core

If the pass rush comes into fruition, If we have no injuries, If Houston progresses, If Hutchins gets back to 2007 form, If Moore and Decoud are solid, If If's and but's were candy and nuts what a Merry Christmas we would have

To many If's when it comes to the secondary......Not to many answers either but, just to have an experienced Chris MC in the ranks would definitely be beneficial, wouldnt change the overall weakness of the group but it would help just a little.