Kiffin putting up Billboads in florida..

SacFalcFan

I swear what is it now with billboards. I can see louisiana-monroe creating one about their bama win. I see two auburn billboards in my town. Now Kiffin is putting up a billboard.

KNOXVILLE — Tennessee Coach Lane Kiffin announced plans for an advertising plan last week while addressing his audience at the SEC football media days. More specifically, he said a “billboard will be going up” in Florida next month.

He didn’t offer any more details. But my guess is the billboard won’t be promoting Florida quarterback Tim Tebow for another Heisman Trophy.

UT’s upcoming billboard is a sign of the times in the SEC. Conference schools have the pleasant task of trying to figure out what to do with the $3 billion ESPN and CBS will be throwing at them over the next 15 years. And if you’re investing money in a billboard, know your demographics.

Florida is a recruiting mecca, so that makes sense. In fact, Pahokee High School in South Florida might have as many college prospects as some states.

As much money as UT is investing in recruiting quarterbacks in Southern California, it would be just as appropriate to advertise on I-405 in Los Angeles. For at least four hours a day, you would be assured of a captive audience.

And the only thing that will change in 5 years is Lane will actually be putting up billboards.

yeah i am sure meyer and richt are afraid of the tennessee and auburn billboards.. when you have to resort to billboards there is something wrong with your program IMO.

yeah i am sure meyer and richt are afraid of the tennessee and auburn billboards.. when you have to resort to billboards there is something wrong with your program IMO.

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. Anything a coach can do to keep his teams image in front of a recruit is a good idea.

On another topic, I was checking out the SEC website and as I was browsing the various shirts/hats etc, they had I found this shirt. These may have been out for years and I just never noticed, but I like these shirts.

T-shirt

I think putting up billboards is a great idea and i'm actually surprised more teams don't do it. If I was a recruit looking for a program and driving down the interstate in my home state I saw a billboard with <insert star player from your team> on it I would at least have a little intrigue towards the program.

I think putting up billboards is a great idea and i'm actually surprised more teams don't do it. If I was a recruit looking for a program and driving down the interstate in my home state I saw a billboard with <insert star player from your team> on it I would at least have a little intrigue towards the program.

i think it's a gimmick and a joke a program like tennessee has to resort to this..

i think it's a gimmick and a joke a program like tennessee has to resort to this..

Haha, nice jab but Tennessee is hardly a joke of a program, Tennessee has won the east 3 times since 2000 as opposed to UGA's 2 and Tennessee also played for and won a national championship in 98' which Georgia hasn't been since 1980. I know that was the past and another coaching staff, but this staff has not played a single game yet, recruited incredibly good for this upcoming season, and has as much if not more coaching experience than any other staff in the nation. I am guessing your jab is based around the current staff but like I said they have not seen the field yet so calling Tennessee a joke is very premature.

Haha, nice jab but Tennessee is hardly a joke of a program, Tennessee has won the east 3 times since 2000 as opposed to UGA's 2 and Tennessee also played for and won a national championship in 98' which Georgia hasn't been since 1980. I know that was the past and another coaching staff, but this staff has not played a single game yet, recruited incredibly good for this upcoming season, and has as much if not more coaching experience than any other staff in the nation. I am guessing your jab is based around the current staff but like I said they have not seen the field yet so calling Tennessee a joke is very premature.

UGA won the east three times in 02/03/05-as irrelevant as the accomplishment is, your facts are wrong. Moreover, resorting to bragging about winning the east (which is meaningless) is exactly why TN needed to do it....they have not been relevant since the 90s.

UGA won the east three times in 02/03/05-as irrelevant as the accomplishment is, your facts are wrong. Moreover, resorting to bragging about winning the east (which is meaningless) is exactly why TN needed to do it....they have not been relevant since the 90s.

My bad I did leave out a year, and please tell me how I was bragging about winning the east? I was simply stating the fact that Tennessee had won the east 3 times since 2000. They went on to lose all the championship games so I really have nothing to brag about. Tennessee has been relevant since the 90's just not as relevant as they were in the 90's. Irrelevant teams are Kentucky, Miss St., Vandy, etc etc, and I do not put Tennessee in the same category as those teams.

My bad I did leave out a year, and please tell me how I was bragging about winning the east? I was simply stating the fact that Tennessee had won the east 3 times since 2000. They went on to lose all the championship games so I really have nothing to brag about. Tennessee has been relevant since the 90's just not as relevant as they were in the 90's. Irrelevant teams are Kentucky, Miss St., Vandy, etc etc, and I do not put Tennessee in the same category as those teams.

I thought you were stating that TN won the east more than UGA as if it were a relevant achievement?

read what i said.. did I call tennessee a joke of a program? no i didn't.. I said it's a joke a program like tennessee has to resort to this.. they are tennessee there is no excuse for having to do that.. none. it's a gimmick, it isn't a smart move.. a smart move is to win games and then bring that over to recruiting not billboards. BTW the ut you knew is not the ut it is today.. you guys have had 2 losing seasons out of your lost 4 and you are the not the same program, but you still shouldn't resort to this.

read what i said.. did I call tennessee a joke of a program? no i didn't.. I said it's a joke a program like tennessee has to resort to this.. they are tennessee there is no excuse for having to do that.. none. it's a gimmick, it isn't a smart move.. a smart move is to win games and then bring that over to recruiting not billboards. BTW the ut you knew is not the ut it is today.. you guys have had 2 losing seasons out of your lost 4 and you are the not the same program, but you still shouldn't resort to this.

My bad Sac, i've had to be in a Tennessee defense mode the past couple of days over on other boards. We will both continue to disagree on the billboard move I still believe its a good idea for any program to do that. And believe me I know that this is a whole new UT and I honestly believe its for the best. Our program was very stagnant and this has given the program some new life so to speak.

My bad Sac, i've had to be in a Tennessee defense mode the past couple of days over on other boards. We will both continue to disagree on the billboard move I still believe its a good idea for any program to do that. And believe me I know that this is a whole new UT and I honestly believe its for the best. Our program was very stagnant and this has given the program some new life so to speak.

Yeah we won't agree on the billboards. :) I definately wouldn't call a program like tennessee a joke.

I lived 20 minutes from the UT Campus in Knoxville til the time I was 20 in 2002 and I remember seeing Billboards around town for the various UT sports teams, including football, growing up. I'm not real excited about billboards getting put up in Florida in regards to UT Football. UT Football billboards in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Memphis, etc. and surrounding areas would be nice though.

I still don't get how anyone can say that this is a bad idea. If you're the coach at Mississippi and you're trying to recruit players in SC, having several billboards up in an area where the recruits can see them all of the time seems like an easy way to keep your program in the mind of the recruit.

I cant wait to see if any of these UT billboards going up in Atlanta get vandalized. I can visualize a lot of funny scenarios with the Kifin on the signs .....hhhmmm. ;)

Good friend of mind lives in Sacramento and is still in disbelief about why anyone would hire him.

I told him about the billboards and he presented two funny scenarios that could both happen: TN rivals vandalizing Kiffin before the season and TN fans vandalizing Kiffin once the season starts?