Position Ranking: The Receivers

http://www.footballdiner.com/positionrankingswrs.html

The Diner moves onto analysing all 32 teams and their receiving options, looking at the wideouts and tight ends that plan on catching balls this year.

Each unit is broken down before a cumulative set of results are provided to determine who in my opinion are the best teams heading out of last season and into this. This involves looking at the starter, and then who will be backing them up as and when this looks like becoming a factor.

So far we've seen the Colts win the Passers title and Vikings claim the Rushers title, so who is going to win Receivers title? Without further ado...

32. New York Giants

Losing Burress was a huge blow and it's tough to see which player can step in and have anywhere near the same impact as he did as we witnessed after he had shot him (and this teams SuperBowl hopes) in the foot. Now there are a lot of young guys on the roster and the hope is one or two of them can step up, but this is a weak unit on paper and on the field.

31. St Louis Rams

I like Donnie Avery a lot in this situation. Young receiver who showed flashes last year of being able to be a game changer. There's not much behind him though, and it's a far cry from the Greatest Show on Turf.

30. Kansas City Chiefs

Dwayne Bowe looks like he could be a very good player for a long time, but the likes Bobby Engram and Devard Darling hardly fill you with confidence and losing Tony G and his production is something that won't be easily replaced. A lot could rest on if Mark Bradley can play up to his potential and take some pressure off Bowe.

29. Cleveland Browns

How things have changed. This time last year they seemed to have an excellent base set of receivers. Now it's pretty much official that Braylon Edwards has terrible hands, Winslow has moved on and Jurevicious is suing the team. Still there's hope with a couple of rookies, but right now this isn't a set of receivers that would scare anybody.

28. Baltimore Ravens

They were a lot higher before Derrick Mason announced his retirement, and they'd be a lot higher if he reconsiders. I don't think Clayton is a bad player, but there's nothing to suggest he'll have anywhere near the impact that Derrick Mason did in this offence. Todd Heap seems to have lost a step, while the signing of LJ Smith may prove an upgrade if he plays hard and stays on the field.

27. Jacksonville Jaguars

The signing of Torry Holt should at least give the Jaguars a consistent receiver who doesn't really have anything to prove. On some levels the Jags should be better just for getting rid of the underperformers/ troublemakers, although it was a surprise to see them get rid of Matt Jones after he finally seemed to be producing. It will be interesting to see what Mike Walker can do if healthy. I'd expect them to continue using their Tight Ends a lot in the passing game, though they'll need to get more consistent.

26. Oakland Raiders

Zach Miller was about all the Raiders had as they struggled last year, but there is hope. He may have been a reach but you have to think that DHB will improve this group just because of his tremendous physical skill set. Javon Walker hasn't been the same player since leaving Green Bay, but if he can get his head right then that's a useful combination. Some young receivers like Schillens and Higgins could contribute.

25. Chicago Bears

The real strength of this receiving group probably lies in their tight ends. Desmond Clark has consistently produced, and Greg Olsen showed last year that he has all the ability to deliver on being a first round draft pick. The wide outs are a bit more of a concern as Hester is still very raw in the position and the best thing that has been said about Earl Bennett is that he played with Cutler in college. Does that make him any more NFL ready?

24. Minnesota Vikings

The real revelation last year was the end of season performance of Visanthe Shiancoe who looked like one of the better receiving tight ends in the league. Bernard Berrian is one of the ultimate deep threats in the NFL but this is a team that is going to need more from Sidney Rice, and an instant impact from Percy Harvin to avoid them being so one dimensional.

23. Miami Dolphins

Greg Camarillo was a real nice find and looks like a solid guy that compliments the inconsistent at times, spectacular at others Ted Ginn. Anthony Fasano did a nice job in his first year in Miami, and David Martins versatility was a huge part of this offence last year. Davone Bess looks like being the one Hawaii receiver that can make it in the NFL and looks very useful in the slot.

22. San Francisco 49ers

Kudos for not passing on Michael Crabtree because even if it takes him a while to settle he should make some form of immediate contribution. Vernon Davies probably needs a coach like Mike Singletary to get the most out of his immense potential. Isaac Bruce is getting on, but still productive in terms of finding spots in coverage even as his physical prowess wanes. Josh Morgan and Jason Hill both indicated with their play they could be around to stay, though they'll need to be more consistent to get significant playing time.

21. Carolina Panthers

Having one of the best receivers in the league isn't enough for Carolina to crack the top 20. Mushin Muhammad seems to perform better in Carolina, but for how much longer we really don't know while Dwayne Jarrett has been a monumental failure so far. None of their tight ends are going to cause any teams any real problems.

20. New York Jets

Whether Jericho Cotchery can step up as a number one receiver I'm not so sure of, and I'm not filled with confidence in Chansi Stuckey being able to step up into a full time starting role. What I do like is Dustin Keller to be a real difference maker as a receiver, causing matchup problems for this team to exploit.

19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Antonio Bryant finally kept his mouth shut long enough to show his talent, and if he plays like he did last year then the Bucs have found the guy to replace Joey Galloway. Michael Clayton has been a consistent failure since making such a good impression his rookie year, but the Bucs obviously haven't given up on him after handing him a contract that surprised a few in the off season. The trade for Kellen Winslow could prove extremely astute down the line, presuming Winslow can fit his ego through the door and stay healthy.

18. Tennessee Titans

I quite like Justin Gage in an offence where not too much is expected of him, and feel he's a solid option, while I'm quite curious to see how Nate Washington deals with a more significant role in an offence. It was interesting to see the Titans invest a high pick in a rookie receiver, and maybe a sign they're trying to make a better balanced offence. The strength of the receiving unit lies in the depth and variation of their tight ends, with Scaife and Crumpler two proven threats and Jared Cook being a guy who could surprise a few people.

17. Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles seem to be a team that has gotten by without needing good receivers. Desean Jackson started the season off like a man possessed but levelled out and it will be interesting to see if he can build on a good debut season. Kevin Curtis is solid along with Jason Avant, but maybe it's about time to start writing off Reggie Brown. Jeremy Maclin is the one to watch because he could really add something to this group if he adapts quickly. There was nothing about Brent Celek's play to suggest he'll have any real impact in the league as a receiver.

16. Washington Redskins

Santana Moss is a true number one receiver who causes defences no end of problems. The same can't be said of Antwan Randle-El. I've never been a fan and think if it wasn't for a few gimmick plays he would never have got the contract or opportunity the Skins handed him. After not really doing anything last year Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas have something to prove, and I'd be quietly confident of at least one of them stepping up. The combination of Cooley and Davis is something that would inspire you to introduce plenty of 2 tight end sets.

15. Cincinnati Bengals

Anyone remember the days when it was just Chad Johnson? Before the Ochocinco days? When he actually performed to almost the level he talked himself up to? Maybe he got old, maybe he lost focus, but fingers crossed for Bengals fans that he can start being the player he thinks he is and has previously been. Losing TJ Houshmandzadeh is a blow but Laveranues Coles should be able to replace him, while Chris Henry has stayed out of trouble long enough that I'm starting to forget about all his past troubles. There's plenty of talent there, but too many questions marks to rate them any higher right now.

14. Detroit Lions

They may not have much support for Calvin Johnson, but he's enough of a weapon to propel this unit into the top half. He may be the only player who could match the current dominance of Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, and there's still plenty of room for him to improve. I do quite like Dennis Northcutt and feel he could work very nicely in tandem with Johnson if he can get past the underwhelming Bryant Johnson, and Brandon Pettigrew should provide an immediate upgrade in terms of production from their tight ends.

13. Dallas Cowboys

Roy Williams, so it was thought, was always hampered by playing in Detroit and this year we're going to finally find out just how true that was. After him (or before, depending on how you view his relationship with Romo) you have Jason Witten who is one of the best tight ends in the game and a very versatile receiver. I'm less enthused by Crayton and Austin but Williams and Witten can carry this unit nicely.

12. Seattle Seahawks

Bringing in TJ Houshmanzadeh is exactly what this team needed, and he's a perfect fit for the system. Deon Branch may not be the player he was, and he may struggle staying healthy, but the Seahawks have to be hoping for something from him or Nate Burlson. John Carlson looks like becoming the kind of tight end that Matt Hasselbeck will ensure sees plenty of action.

11. New Orleans Saints

Colston may be a tad overrated/ overhyped on the basis of his draft slot, but he's still a good number one option who performed admirably even when injured. They've had plenty of receivers have success, but in an attack as pass happy as the Saints is that down to the brilliance of the receivers or nature of the attack? I remain unconvinced.

10. Indianapolis Colts

They may have lost Marvin Harrison but as more was asked of Reggie Wayne he was able to deliver. Anthony Gonzalez looks like he'll be a solid replacement who has all the consistency the Colts look for in their receivers. Dallas Clark may struggle at times with his run blocking, but he's a tremendous receiver that gives Manning plenty to work with. All of these players are exceptional at getting open, which makes this offence tick.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers

Hines Ward isn't a stat hungry receiver but he's one who makes plays when they need to, and it seems that Santonio Holmes is developing into someone who can carry some of the load. A lot seems to be expected of Limas Sweed, but he hasn't shown anything to suggest he can fill in for the underrated Nate Washington so more may be asked of Heath Miller in the passing game.

8. Buffalo Bills

The Lee Evans / T.O partnership will be one of the most interesting to watch this year as we see how the two get along and if they can mesh, especially when it gets colder and the ball gets thrown less. There's plenty of solid depth after them and the Bills have gone about acquiring one of the better sets of wide receivers. Shame about those tight ends though.

7. San Diego Chargers

Vincent Jackson really emerged as a number one receiver as the season developed, really over shadowing Chris Chambers. Malcolm Floyd completes a big receiving group, and there's still some who hope Buster Davis can stop delivering on his name. Then of course there's Antonio Gates, who is fully healthy after being dogged with injuries last year and perhaps the 2nd best Tight End in the league.

6. Green Bay Packers

Greg Jennings got the contract he deserved and Donald Driver is good enough to be a number 1 receiver for most teams. The emergence of Jordy Nelson and James Jones gives the Packers a deep and talented receiver set, with the main concern being the lack of production you'd expect out of a mediocre tight end grouping.

5. Denver Broncos

A lot of this could depend on whether Brandon Marshall gets the trade he wants because if he does they could drop 10-15 places. Marshall as the physically dominating receiver is complimented by the elusive Eddie Royal who may never be as good as he was in his rookie campaign but still be an excellent number 2. Jabar Gaffney is one to watch especially with his familiarity with Josh McDaniels offence. They're stacked at tight end with the versatile Graham and the more pass catching Sheffler. They could be higher, but all the turmoil in Denver is bound to have some affect on the receivers.

4. Atlanta Falcons

Roddy White is among the top 10 receivers in the league and has improved massively the last two years while Michael Jenkins finally found his role as the number 2 option. But these alone wouldn't warrant a top 5 spot and it was the aggressive trade for future hall of famer Tony Gonzalez that gives the Falcons one of the best receiving sets, a far cry from years ago when they were among the worst. Teams will struggle to contain this unit.

3. New England Patriots

The Moss and Welker combination remains one of the most potent in the NFL and there's not much that can be written about them that already hasn't. Bringing in Greg Lewis and Joey Galloway more than makes up for losing Jabar Gaffney, although there are some question marks over which tight end is going to step up (although perhaps the question should be if this unit needs a tight end to step up).

2. Houston Texans

Led by the guy who in my mind is the best receiver in football, Andre Johnson, the Texans have a diverse set of options that are extremely productive. The growth of Owen Daniels was extremely important but players like Kevin Walters and Andre Davis have both played valuable roles in the past couple of years. Still it's the dominance of Andre Johnson that gets these guys this high.

1. Arizona Cardinals

And leading the way are the Cardinals, backed with the most dominant trio of receivers in football at the moment. Larry Fitzgerald is widely regarded as the man at the moment, while Anquan Boldin is better than the vast majority of number one receivers in the league. Steve Breaston could probably start for most NFL teams, and while tight end is a concern, when your first three reads are these guys then stuff like that isn't quite as important.

Saints receivers are so 'underrated' OP didn't even highlight them, lol. :rolleyes:

10. Indianapolis Colts

They may have lost Marvin Harrison but as more was asked of Reggie Wayne he was able to deliver. Anthony Gonzalez looks like he'll be a solid replacement who has all the consistency the Colts look for in their receivers. Dallas Clark may struggle at times with his run blocking, but he's a tremendous receiver that gives Manning plenty to work with. All of these players are exceptional at getting open, which makes this offence tick.

I'm calling this dude out- First of all, the writer uses the alternate spelling of 'offence,' which to me is strange. If you can't spell 'offense' like a semi knowledgeable football guy, then why should I believe you know squat about offense, particularly the passing game?

"Saints receivers had only 42 more completed passes than the Colts receivers, but over a thousand more yards receiving."

Now, that's what I would call 'exceptional at getting open.'

11. New Orleans Saints

Colston may be a tad overrated/ overhyped on the basis of his draft slot, but he's still a good number one option who performed admirably even when injured. They've had plenty of receivers have success, but in an attack as pass happy as the Saints is that down to the brilliance of the receivers or nature of the attack? I remain unconvinced.

That the Saints receivers catch only 42 more passes, but yet accumulate over a 1000 more yards and score more TDs, should separate Saints and Colts receiving corps by a mile, -'and that also goes for a lot of these other 'highly overrated receiving corps.' '

Saints receivers should be bumping off one of those receiving corps in the top 5...

....bumping the Falcons out the #4 slot works for me.

You mean the almighty 15-17 team over the last two seasons? The one playoff win team in 8 seasons? I assume that's the team your referring to?

Fixed it for you.

BTW, about the record. Do you have any idea how stupid that argument is? QB's don't always throw hailmarys, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY'RE 70 YARDS FROM THE ENDZONE AND DON'T HAVE A POWERFUL ARM TO BEGIN WITH. But now the real logic. On that play the Saints had 4 recievers lined up, 3 to the right and 1 to the left. When Drew threw that ball, ALL THREE RECIEVERS ON THE RIGHT WERE WITHIN 7 YARDS OF EACHOTHER, and the other was also very close. He could have thrown a hailmary, but there is one little problem with that, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NOBODY THERE!

U10500-1248884219.jpg

U10500-1248884350.jpg

Now, will you stop with that stupid argument?

If it was made by us then we would have put them #1. Roddy is a probowl wr AB isn't. Good try. :rolleyes:

Oh, you mean that popularity contest :lol: , Congratulations on that! But if memory serves me correct AB didn't cost the Bucs football games, I'm sure the fine fans of Denver throughly thanks your "pro bowler" for dropping a catchable ball dead smack in the endzone, for the game winning Touchdown. :lol::D:):rolleyes: Fundamentals!!!!

What makes this that much sweeter is the whole "Good try" part, classic!!! B)

Only Falcon fans are big enough clowns to actually put up the argument that the #1 and #4 offenses not being balanced is the bigger reason the Saints haven't made the playoffs over the #23 and #26 defenses in the NFL the past two seasons. But is that really a big suprise?

Only Falcon fans are big enough clowns to actually put up the argument that the #1 and #4 offenses not being balanced is the bigger reason the Saints haven't made the playoffs over the #23 and #26 defenses in the NFL the past two seasons. But is that really a big suprise?

You guys always miss the point on this debate. It has nothing to do with offense ranking. It basically comes down to the lack of coaching on Payton's part. If you know you have a "Give up the BIG PLAY ALL DAY" defense. Why not control the clock to minimize the time that their on the field.

So all I hear is a bunch of moaning...

Colston is good, but often injured.

Moore is steadily getting better, but still isnt amazing by any stretch and plays patty cake in run blocking.

Henderson can get open deep like none other, but is limited in underneath routes and in run blocking.

Shockey is a pile of garbage.

Miller is an underrated TE, and has been for a minute.

Meachem...who?

Colts

Reggie Wayne > anything on the Saints roster

Gonzo = Lance Moore

Dallas Clark > anything on the Saints roster

Henderson > Austin Collie/Pierre Garcon

So the Colts have a better #1 by far, a better TE by far, and an equal #2. Only place the Saints are obviously better at this point is the #3 spot WR, and backup TE.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc
i was wondering why the saints weren't highlighted.

Saints fans whining again.................as usual. :rolleyes:

Guest jb aka johnnybuc
White isn't that good, Dude had identical stats as AB...

This list looks like it was made by falcon fans.

Of course it was! Not a lot of objectivity on this board, especially now that the season is just about here.

So all I hear is a bunch of moaning...

Colston is good, but often injured.

Moore is steadily getting better, but still isnt amazing by any stretch and plays patty cake in run blocking.

Henderson can get open deep like none other, but is limited in underneath routes and in run blocking.

Shockey is a pile of garbage.

Miller is an underrated TE, and has been for a minute.

Meachem...who?

Colts

Reggie Wayne > anything on the Saints roster

Gonzo = Lance Moore

Dallas Clark > anything on the Saints roster

Henderson > Austin Collie/Pierre Garcon

So the Colts have a better #1 by far, a better TE by far, and an equal #2. Only place the Saints are obviously better at this point is the #3 spot WR, and backup TE.

You're breaking them down individually while I'm comparing them as a complete unit. The list is skewed toward bigger name players, but there is no question this is the deepest receiving corp in the league. It has alot to do with this offense being numero uno 2 of the last 3 seasons.

You guys always miss the point on this debate. It has nothing to do with offense ranking. It basically comes down to the lack of coaching on Payton's part. If you know you have a "Give up the BIG PLAY ALL DAY" defense. Why not control the clock to minimize the time that their on the field.

The Saints did control the clock. The #1 team, the Ravens, were on the field for less than 3 more minutes. But when you get to your Falcons, who the rumor is controlled the ball real well, the Saints TOP was nearly matching yours. As for lack of coaching, I find it hard to believe that the Saints could have the #1, #4, and #1 in Paytons tenure and it be a lack of coaching on Payton's part. If anything, it was a lack of coaching on Gary Gibbs part.