Police Taser, Pepper Spray Mentally Disabled Deaf Man

Statick

Man, this is fugged up.

Police Taser, Pepper Spray Mentally Disabled Deaf Man

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

MOBILE, Ala. — Police in Mobile, Ala., used pepper spray and a Taser on a deaf, mentally disabled who they said wouldn't leave a store's bathroom.

The family of 37-year-old Antonio Love has filed a formal complaint over the incident on Friday.

Police tell the Press-Register of Mobile that officers shot pepper spray under the bathroom door after knocking several times. After forcing the door open, they used the stun gun on Love.

Police spokesman Christopher Levy says police didn't realize Love had a hearing impairment until after he was out of the bathroom. The officers' conduct is under investigation.

The newspaper says the officers attempted to book Love on charges including disorderly conduct, but a magistrate on duty wouldn't accept the charges.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! Another "cops are scumbags" thread!

I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up to defend the cops. Either you are a cop or really want to be one. Even those of us like summerbunny and myself who are related to cops don't have a view as jaded as yours when it comes to the police.

I knew it was only a matter of time before you showed up to defend the cops. Either you are a cop or really want to be one. Even those of us like summerbunny and myself who are related to cops don't have a view as jaded as yours when it comes to the police.

I knew someone would bring up that assumption again. :lol:

1. You do not have a clue as to what I do as a profession.

2. You do not have a clue as to what my views are on cops.

But really, keep making an *** out of U and ME.

Cool! Another blame the thread starter instead of the cop that created the story post!

It's the same drivel that's posted here ad nauseum whenever someone posts a crooked cop story. "Cops are such pricks!" "That cop should be fired and beaten down and thrown in jail for life." "BlahBlahblargbelch". It is way too predictable and tiresome. I comment on the repetition, and then some guy above decides to assume that I am a cop, or my views on them are jaded.

I knew someone would bring up that assumption again. :lol:

1. You do not have a clue as to what I do as a profession.

2. You do not have a clue as to what my views are on cops.

But really, keep making an *** out of U and ME.

No I don't have a clue as to what you do as a profession that's why I guessed that either you are one or that you want to be one. I don't remember saying, I KNOW YOUR A COP.

2. You have made it painfully obvious what your views are on the cops by defending them no matter how wrong they may be. A simple search through all of your post proves that fact. I don't have to make an *** out of you, you do a good enough job by yourself.

It's the same drivel that's posted here ad nauseum whenever someone posts a crooked cop story. "Cops are such pricks!" "That cop should be fired and beaten down and thrown in jail for life." "BlahBlahblargbelch". It is way too predictable and tiresome. I comment on the repetition, and then some guy above decides to assume that I am a cop, or my views on them are jaded.

It would be interesting to know why they decided to tase and pepper spray a man who wasn't posing them a significant threat.

Even the magistrate knew they f*cked up.

They are, now carry on

You said it. I didn't.

So I guess that must be your generalization. And here I thought you were pro-cop.

I guess I did say it. -_-

Any person in a position of authority can be a power mad idiot. Cop, CEO, boy scout director, etc.

I guess I did say it. -_-

Any person in a position of authority can be a power mad idiot. Cop, CEO, boy scout director, etc.

How many CEOs and boy scouts do you know that go around jumping the gun and tase and pepper spray the handicapped?

It would be interesting to know why they decided to tase and pepper spray a man who wasn't posing them a significant threat.

Even the magistrate knew they f*cked up.

I'll agree that this one f*cked up. I guess I was just a little ahead of the "cops are such pricks" rat pack while trying to be mildly facetious in my first post.

What would you have done, when an unknown man would not respond and or follow directions when directed to by you as a police officer???

What are your options??

1)Wait unknown length of time.

2)Use non-lethal harassing(pepper spray and the like) techniques to subdue.

3)Use unarmed combat moves to subdue.

4)Use taser/stun gun.

5)Use billy club/knight stick/big flashlight to subdue.

6)Use lethal force to subdue/kill.

These are your options, you have the owner/manager of the business asking you to get the guy out. He for whatever reason will not leave, and the door is closed so you can't see him. What do you do?? Non-lethal force was used, maybe excessive from a hindsight point of view, but you have to factor in the safety factor for all involved. No one was killed, and should have been minimal injuries at most to the guy. Sounds like a win for the cops to me.