Markeith Ambles commits to Tennessee

Just got word that Markeith Ambles has committed to UT. I'm a little shocked we got this guy considering our current QB situation but i'm really glad we were able to, great pick up for us.

uga wouldn't offer him, uf wouldn't take his commitments, usc dropped him, and ut was his next best option. congrats.

GoVolsXtra

FSU, Alabama and Auburn were also recruiting him. I'm sure that UT will get somebody to throw to him. From what I understand, this isn't a particularly strong QB class. They signed some Jr. College QB, Nick Lamaison recently.

They did and it is not. There are only a handful of really good QBs in the '10 class, but Nick is good and they may still get Cam or just wait till next year.

Anyone know why UGA, UF, and USC did what they did?

Primarily his "it's all about me" attitude. Plus, he was overrated to begin with from what I heard.

Hmm, that makes sense I suppose, I wouldn't expect an "all about me" attitude to impact him at UF though. Unless only the coach is allowed that attitude there now? lol :D

Ok, joking about Urban, but I am actually serious about that attitude not impacting him though, maybe they aren't supposed to, but UF does come off like a team that doesn't really mind that, so he must be a real primadonna to the point they felt it would impact the team. Or he is just really, really overrated. Either way, I am glad UGA passed on him as well.

They did and it is not. There are only a handful of really good QBs in the '10 class, but Nick is good and they may still get Cam or just wait till next year.

Anyone know why UGA, UF, and USC did what they did?

for uga is more than an attitude issue.. for usc it was an attitude problem, and for uf who knows.. higher guys on their board, attitude?

I've read him being dropped was due to attitude problems. I'm not a fan of "me" type guys but if he can come in and learn that it's not all about him then I love this pick up. The kid can flat out play and will contribute his freshmen year.

it was more than that regarding uga.. they couldn't get him past their character admission group that was implement after harrick.. we will see if he can learn that.. teams rarely drop a kid with his talent or don't offer just due to a minor attitude issue.

it was more than that regarding uga.. they couldn't get him past their character admission group that was implement after harrick.. we will see if he can learn that.. teams rarely drop a kid with his talent or don't offer just due to a minor attitude issue.

I think he may have more then minor character issues. But I like the way our staff handles these things, if the kid doesn't come around and screws up he will be off the team simple as that. That's one of the things about Kiffin that has really impressed me, he isn't afraid to enfore discipline.

I think he may have more then minor character issues. But I like the way our staff handles these things, if the kid doesn't come around and screws up he will be off the team simple as that. That's one of the things about Kiffin that has really impressed me, he isn't afraid to enfore discipline.

let me ask you this question and i said the same thing when they got daniel hood on scholarship. Do you believe that ut couldn't get as talented of a player without the question marks? Like with hood they could have found a kid who was worth a scholarship without his baggage. You say the above and yet they don't have to take these risks?

let me ask you this question and i said the same thing when they got daniel hood on scholarship. Do you believe that ut couldn't get as talented of a player without the question marks? Like with hood they could have found a kid who was worth a scholarship without his baggage. You say the above and yet they don't have to take these risks?

I believe right now they look at everyone as deserving a chance to prove themselves and I agree with that. For instance Milton is expected to commit this week who is another 4* WR but we still took Ambles. I think the staff will keep taking chances until they finally get burned then they will probably slack off on the guys with character issues. If the staff believes with a little help and a little maturation that the athlete will turn it around why not take the chance? I'm sure there are some players out there they wouldn't touch due to them believing the player wouldn't grow up and mature at all.

I've seen film on him and he is pretty good. But to each his own right?

Very true and to be fair he was in a group with some of the best WR's in the country going against some of the very best CB's in the country. Very tough inviroment but I would bet he has a very good chance at starting at UT from day 1.

WR Ambles tells Tennessee’s Kiffin he wants to be a Vol

11:54 am July 28, 2009, by Chip Towers

McDonough’s Markeith Ambles, one of the best wide receivers in Georgia, made Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin a very happy man Tuesday morning. Ambles called to say he wanted to become a Volunteer.

“He was very ecstatic, excited,” said Ambles, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound senior at Henry County High. “He started yelling and screaming telling the rest of the coaches.”

Ambles couldn’t say whether any of the Tennessee coaches ripped off their shirts. But they’re getting a good player indeed.

Ambles had 55 catches for 993 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior last season. Nobody could say for sure but Ambles’ coach estimates he had upward of 50 scholarship offers.

“He’s a jewel,” said Henry County coach Mike Rozier. “Very smooth, very fluid, a great quick step, great hands, very physical. He plays free safety for me and he’ll hit you.”

For Ambles, it’s a relief just to have the recruiting process behind him. It the end it came down to Tennessee and Florida, with Alabama, North Carolina and West Virginia somewhere close behind.

“It was just the best school for me,” said Ambles, who did not consider Georgia. “They had everything I was looking for in a school. Now I can concentrate on working hard and trying to push my team to playoffs.”

WR Ambles tells Tennessee’s Kiffin he wants to be a Vol

11:54 am July 28, 2009, by Chip Towers

McDonough’s Markeith Ambles, one of the best wide receivers in Georgia, made Tennessee’s Lane Kiffin a very happy man Tuesday morning. Ambles called to say he wanted to become a Volunteer.

“He was very ecstatic, excited,” said Ambles, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound senior at Henry County High. “He started yelling and screaming telling the rest of the coaches.”

Ambles couldn’t say whether any of the Tennessee coaches ripped off their shirts. But they’re getting a good player indeed.

Ambles had 55 catches for 993 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior last season. Nobody could say for sure but Ambles’ coach estimates he had upward of 50 scholarship offers.

“He’s a jewel,” said Henry County coach Mike Rozier. “Very smooth, very fluid, a great quick step, great hands, very physical. He plays free safety for me and he’ll hit you.”

For Ambles, it’s a relief just to have the recruiting process behind him. It the end it came down to Tennessee and Florida, with Alabama, North Carolina and West Virginia somewhere close behind.

“It was just the best school for me,” said Ambles, who did not consider Georgia. “They had everything I was looking for in a school. Now I can concentrate on working hard and trying to push my team to playoffs.”

Coach Mike Rozier? Nice football name. I remember a RB with the Oilers and Falcons with the same name, who was a Heisman Winner in 1983 with Nebraska.

Anyways, I'm glad to have Ambles on board. Hopefully he can get past his attitude issues and become a major player in Knoxville.