Atlanta to become first city without large housing projects.

LINK TO VIDEO

Personally, I feel that the housing projects being demolished will help eliminate a cycle that has continued for generations of poor African-Americans and whites. While many successful and enlightening people have come from the projects, the crime drugs, poverty-stricken and self-pity attitudes have hindered multiple generations and will continue to do so if this environment isn't demolished figuratively and literally. Give hard working people an opportunity to live among a hard working middle class in a flourishing and encouraging environment, and let the government provide financial assistance when needed.

LINK TO VIDEO

Personally, I feel that the housing projects being demolished will help eliminate a cycle that has continued for generations of poor African-Americans and whites. While many successful and enlightening people have come from the projects, the crime drugs, poverty-stricken and self-pity attitudes have hindered multiple generations and will continue to do so if this environment isn't demolished figuratively and literally. Give hard working people an opportunity to live among a hard working middle class in a flourishing and encouraging environment, and let the government provide financial assistance when needed.

I once lived in some nice apartments and then they made the far end into section 8 housing. 2 fires in two years, people tossing whole garbage bags into the pond out back. A pond that had large Koi swimming around, ducks and Canadian Geese in stopovers in the winter.

Even tho there were dumpsters at each exit of the place. dirty diapers in the shrubs, beer cans all ove r the grouns, you name it. Finally the people who paid their rent, like me and many others, just got tired of it and moved away when their leases allowed. Pretty soon there was no one there but the section 8 people and a couple of months ago half the place burned to the ground. And it was condemned.

People who don't have to pay their way don't appreciate a thing.

And before anyone says it, there where black people AND white people in section 8.

I agree. I also support drug testing welfare recipients, and requiring accountability for their expenditures.

Now, this I agree with, and when I said that the government should provide assistance to those in need, yes, they certainly should help because some people desperately need it. However, only in the capacity to those who are willing to help themselves first. No job, no help

There are absolutely people that need assistance, there is no denying it. Unfortunately, as a society, the solution has been to put a band-aid on the problem of poverty, as opposed to fix it. What is truly unfortunately, is that while the band-aids are thrown out, we have a constant debate in politics; the left seems to me to be extreme wanting a re-distribution of wealth, and the right offers no true solution themselves.

I bet a lot of mofo's would get off of welfare then. :lol:

seriously, if you are on welfare, the least you could do is some community service throughout the year.

My thoughts exactly. If the Govt. is giving them stuff for free. At least make them earn it. Have them go along the side of roads and pick up trash. Have them cut some grass on Govt., State and City property. Paint some buildings. For at least 3 days a week. By doing that I'm sure each community will start to look better. I don't care get them out the house and make them do something instead of saying it's OK if you just sit around. Also make welfare last only a certain length of time. 3 - 5 years seems good to me

My thoughts exactly. If the Govt. is giving them stuff for free. At least make them earn it. Have them go along the side of roads and pick up trash. Have them cut some grass on Govt., State and City property. Paint some buildings. For at least 3 days a week. By doing that I'm sure each community will start to look better. I don't care get them out the house and make them do something instead of saying it's OK if you just sit around. Also make welfare last only a certain length of time. 3 - 5 years seems good to me

and women, too. And I don't wanna hear none of that " I can't find a babysitter" BS.

And I am definitely in favor of cutting off welfare if you keep popping out babies while you are on it. Not altogether so the kids are not hurt, but if you have 2 kids and are on welfare, you are not getting more for having any more. and you will definitely do some community service.

and women, too. And I don't wanna hear none of that " I can't find a babysitter" BS.

And I am definitely in favor of cutting off welfare if you keep popping out babies while you are on it. Not altogether so the kids are not hurt, but if you have 2 kids and are on welfare, you are not getting more for having any more. and you will definitely do some community service.

Well to take care of the babysitter part. They all don't work on the same day either. Some work M-W-F. The others work T-T-S.

I once lived in some nice apartments and then they made the far end into section 8 housing. 2 fires in two years, people tossing whole garbage bags into the pond out back. A pond that had large Koi swimming around, ducks and Canadian Geese in stopovers in the winter.

Even tho there were dumpsters at each exit of the place. dirty diapers in the shrubs, beer cans all ove r the grouns, you name it. Finally the people who paid their rent, like me and many others, just got tired of it and moved away when their leases allowed. Pretty soon there was no one there but the section 8 people and a couple of months ago half the place burned to the ground. And it was condemned.

People who don't have to pay their way don't appreciate a thing.

And before anyone says it, there where black people AND white people in section 8.

Wow. :o

I know about those Section 8 tenants and you're right. They don't appreciate **** because they're not used to having **** or earning it for that matter. If you give people free stuff, they'll take it for granted everytime.