Rivals team rankings are out.

LawDawg

In years past I noticed that teams who were recruiting heavily along the lines; especially the offensive line, were never ranked that high in the overall rankings. I think that's the case with SC so far this summer. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results SC has gotten. If we have a few more key committments I will be as happy with this class as I was with the one 2 seasons ago which was rated so highly.

I've never really understood how they get those rankings.

It's a points system based on # of stars a player has. It doesn't really matter. You can't evaluate a recruiting class until at least 2 years later. They're ranked in order for fans to have something to brag/talk about.

I have never once cared about a recruit, how many stars they have, where Rivals or Scouts ranked Florida's class, none of that. Once they put on the uniform, buckle the chin strap, and step onto the field-- THEN I'll pay attention to you.

In years past I noticed that teams who were recruiting heavily along the lines; especially the offensive line, were never ranked that high in the overall rankings. I think that's the case with SC so far this summer. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results SC has gotten. If we have a few more key committments I will be as happy with this class as I was with the one 2 seasons ago which was rated so highly.

Some are believing that this recruiting class will be the best that SC has ever brought in. They said the showcase was the best group of talent we have ever had on campus. Like I said before, this class is going to surprise some people.

Oh since were not worthy enough to be listed in the thread title. SC is #19. ;)

Rivals Rankings 2009

As always, the SEC is well represented in the top 10.

yep this uga clas is a top 5 class right now.. some very poor rankings. in fact rivals has stunk it up this year so far with their rankings.. it will improve the closer toward signing day, but uga has 2 to 3 5 stars right now on the team and a few of the 3 stars i know will be 4 stars by the end of the year..

you are correct there.. qbs and skill guys are usually ranked higher.. i remember 4 years ago we had a very very offensive line heavy class and we barely were in the top 10, but our talent level was a top 5 talent level class, but we had very few skill guys due to how many linemen we had to take.. and as you see this year we will have one of the best olines in the country.. it paid off.

you are correct there.. qbs and skill guys are usually ranked higher.. i remember 4 years ago we had a very very offensive line heavy class and we barely were in the top 10, but our talent level was a top 5 talent level class, but we had very few skill guys due to how many linemen we had to take.. and as you see this year we will have one of the best olines in the country.. it paid off.

I remember when UGA did that with all of the linemen and didn't get the ratings of other "skill position" heavy teams. But in the end, that recruiting class will be what keeps UGA competitive even after losing Moreno and Stafford. Just my $.02

Main reason I don't follow recruiting too much is because it's just hard as **** to determine how well 90% of these kids will actually turn out. As they move up to college ball, the level of competition is a lot higher and some kids with great ability just don't have the mentality to excel at a higher level.

High rated recruits turn out to be small time players all the time while a lot of lower rated or looked over kids bust their tails and become NFL material.

Just my take... I know it's exciting to look forward to who will be playing for our teams, but ranking recruiting classes is almost as useful as preseason national rankings.

All that being said, I am very excited to see how well our o-line plays this year. Last year was one freak thing after another so I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys step up.

Main reason I don't follow recruiting too much is because it's just hard as **** to determine how well 90% of these kids will actually turn out. As they move up to college ball, the level of competition is a lot higher and some kids with great ability just don't have the mentality to excel at a higher level.

High rated recruits turn out to be small time players all the time while a lot of lower rated or looked over kids bust their tails and become NFL material.

Just my take... I know it's exciting to look forward to who will be playing for our teams, but ranking recruiting classes is almost as useful as preseason national rankings.

All that being said, I am very excited to see how well our o-line plays this year. Last year was one freak thing after another so I'm looking forward to seeing how these guys step up.

I agree. There are "5 star" prospects that turn out to be relative busts (i.e. Brandon Miller) and then there are "2 star" prospects (i.e. Tim Jennings) that turn out to be real gems. It's definitely not an exact science. For me, it's just fun to follow. Kinda like collecting baseball cards as a kid. But then again, there are some out there who take recruiting way too seriously.

I remember when UGA did that with all of the linemen and didn't get the ratings of other "skill position" heavy teams. But in the end, that recruiting class will be what keeps UGA competitive even after losing Moreno and Stafford. Just my $.02

yep.. in one class we built this oline that could be the best in the country.. and we were barely in the top 10 in rivals and were way outside the top 10 in scout. skill guys get higher rankings which is ridiculous, but that's how it is.

i disagree.. you will have misses, but you have that with the nfl draft as well.. if you compare the recruiting rankings and the on the field results they are very close to what actually happens. are they perfect? far from it, but they do a heck of a job determining the guys who will progress at the next level.. of course coaching and position among other things take part in it, but for what they do they do a very good job..

I agree. There are "5 star" prospects that turn out to be relative busts (i.e. Brandon Miller) and then there are "2 star" prospects (i.e. Tim Jennings) that turn out to be real gems. It's definitely not an exact science. For me, it's just fun to follow. Kinda like collecting baseball cards as a kid. But then again, there are some out there who take recruiting way too seriously.

no it's not an exact science, but they hit a lot more than they miss IMO.. brandon miller is a real bad example.. he was a guy we couldn't play at his position due to our depth chart.. i can't blame him for our coaches screwing up which is part of it.

no it's not an exact science, but they hit a lot more than they miss IMO.. brandon miller is a real bad example.. he was a guy we couldn't play at his position due to our depth chart.. i can't blame him for our coaches screwing up which is part of it.

Yes, not an exact science, but these sites are accurate more often than not. But some people tend to put too much stock into these imaginary stars which often results in inflated expectations for some of these 18 year olds.

I can't say who's "fault" it was for Brandon Miller not meeting "5 star" expectations. However, I do know that in general it's usually the best player for the position, regardless of depth, and Brandon had his opportunities at various positions (most notably OLB and DE) while he was at Georgia.

i disagree.. you will have misses, but you have that with the nfl draft as well.. if you compare the recruiting rankings and the on the field results they are very close to what actually happens. are they perfect? far from it, but they do a heck of a job determining the guys who will progress at the next level.. of course coaching and position among other things take part in it, but for what they do they do a very good job..

Well the NFL and the draft is a whole different ball of wax. These kids get to pick where they play football in college. They don't have any choice in the NFL draft. Your point is taken and I believe a similarity is that sites will have some guys rated a lot higher than the actual teams do, so fans feel let down or confused when their team goes for someone else less touted... but ultimately I believe those are apples and oranges because the style of play, level of competition, and speed are vastly different.

As with any system designed by human hands, it is flawed and bound to fail at one point or another. Especially with something as subjective as football evaluation. Generally they do a great job, though. Figuring out the high school kids with potential from the ones who are just athletes abusing benchwarmer talent is a tough task and the recruitment sites will always get kudos from me for even attempting it, but at the end of the day it's more irritating than rewarding to me because guys I think would be GREAT for us end up going elsewhere all the time (such as with Mack Brown) and promising recruits like Caleb King fail to show nearly what their potential would have indicated by their public recruitment status.

I know you are all into the recruiting so I expect you to disagree with me, which is fine... just giving my two pennies. :)