Ryan, Best NFC Quarterback

**************CORRECTION: NFC SOUTH QB*****************

Best NFC South QB? By one measure, it's Ryan

July 27, 2009 12:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas

When people talk about quarterbacks, they often turn to winning percentage as the bottom line.

If you subscribe to that theory, you might be a little surprised. New Orleans' Drew Brees is widely recognized as the best quarterback in the division, but not if you go purely by this formula. Brees has a 55-51 record and a .519 career winning percentage. That places him fifth among NFC South quarterbacks with at least 10 career starts.

Atlanta's Matt Ryan is No. 1 after going 11-5 (.688) as a rookie last season. Carolina's Jake Delhomme is second. He's 50-31 (.617). Tampa Bay's Byron Leftwich is third with a 24-22 record (.522). New Orleans backup Mark Brunell is fourth with a 78-72 record and a .520 percentage.

Atlanta's Chris Redman and Carolina Josh McCown are the only two other division quarterbacks with 10 career starts. Redman is 4-6. McCown is 12-19.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on now.. Winning percentage?? Can you really put matt into a category like that when he has only been in the league 1 year? Too much praise. When they say "the best" it needs to specify as far as what because we all know any of us would take drew brees over matty ice in a minute.

Based on what?

leadership, career numbers, etc... Not just based off of one season. Its too early for matty ice to be in categories like this. He is good, but not the best in the nfc south yet. Drew brees ownes that spot until he retires or until matt gets some years up under his belt.

So essentially OTHER numbers that fit your point of view.

This is yet again another article/thread based on statistics...they're all pretty much meaningless when used in the way they've been used here.

Brees has a 55-51 record and a .519 career winning percentage. That places him fifth among NFC South quarterbacks with at least 10 career starts.

Wow. :o

I guess all of those passing attempts the Saints' offense does is a heckuva smokescreen for Brees' performance.

Come on now.. Winning percentage?? Can you really put matt into a category like that when he has only been in the league 1 year? Too much praise. When they say "the best" it needs to specify as far as what because we all know any of us would take drew brees over matty ice in a minute.

Absolutely not. Please don't speak for me...EVER. I would not take Brees over Ryan, any day. Brees is 30 and Ryan is 24. Brees gets TD's, Ryan gets W's. Brees yells at his teammates when they don't make plays. Ryan accepts that he was as responsible as the receiver. Unless you just live in fantasy land (which is the only place I would take Brees over Ryan), Ryan is the much better candidate to build a team around.

Everyone is saying it's too early to say this but we can only base this type if comparison off one year. Too many people have their panties in a bunch over this. :lol: Don't shoot the messenger, Pat's the one who made the comparison. I for one would prefer Ryan over Brees for the Falcons though.

Absolutely not. Please don't speak for me...EVER. I would not take Brees over Ryan, any day. Brees is 30 and Ryan is 24. Brees gets TD's, Ryan gets W's. Brees yells at his teammates when they don't make plays. Ryan accepts that he was as responsible as the receiver. Unless you just live in fantasy land (which is the only place I would take Brees over Ryan), Ryan is the much better candidate to build a team around.

but Matt Schaub is lurking in the shadows.... :ph34r:

lol, so yelling at teammates when THEY dont make catches is wrong??

MAN UP!!!

Everyone is saying it's too early to say this but we can only base this type if comparison off one year. Too many people have their panties in a bunch over this. :lol: Don't shoot the messenger, Pat's the one who made the comparison. I for one would prefer Ryan over Brees for the Falcons though.

dont let your fanhood get in the way of realizing the truth.

Drew Brees is the best pure passer in our division. Dude would hit a cheerleader with the ball if she accedentily walked onto the field.

I still would take Ryan though as I do think he will be the best in time, but atm its Brees.

I agree with this. Brees right now - Ryan long term.

No, its a joke!

To say that is a crime, and further evidence of how moronic Pat Yasinskas truly is. :)

Manning, Brees, Mcnabb, Romo, Warner, Rodgers are not better than Ryan?

Um....I believe we're all talking about the NFC South sir....so therefore Manning, McNabb, Romo, Warner, and Rodgers are NOT part of this argument!

EDIT: Actually, as far as what you said about Yasinskas and his logic, yes you are right!

No, its a joke!

To say that is a crime, and further evidence of how moronic Pat Yasinskas truly is. :)

Manning, Brees, Mcnabb, Romo, Warner, Rodgers are not better than Ryan?

Eli Manning or Romo? I would say Ryan is better than them but Brees, Mcnabb, Warner and Rodgers? They are all better than Ryan hands down. The fact that Pat Yasinskas even wrote this article is a darn shame.