I am all for equal opportunity but I think this is too much

Xnex

I have no doubt that racism exists. I have no doubt that efforts have to be made to remedy that racism. However I think things can go too far in an efffort to create a diverse atmosphere. IMO, this article describes a situation that is out of control. It can lead to a decline in the quality of the men and women who receive degress. This article (if accurate) is a perfect example of how things can go horribly wrong. Who agrees or disagrees with me on this?

Annapolis admission standards

Walter Williams nailed it right here: "Colleges and universities with racially preferential admittance policies are doing a great disservice to blacks in another, mostly ignored, way. By admitting poorly prepared blacks, they are helping to conceal the grossly fraudulent education the blacks receive at the K through 12 grades."

And, to that, I would add this from another noted African-American, Booker T. Washington, who similarly said: "No greater injury can be done to any youth than to let him feel that because he belongs to this or that race he will be advanced in life regardless of his own merits or efforts."

Walter Williams nailed it right here: "Colleges and universities with racially preferential admittance policies are doing a great disservice to blacks in another, mostly ignored, way. By admitting poorly prepared blacks, they are helping to conceal the grossly fraudulent education the blacks receive at the K through 12 grades."

And, to that, I would add this from another noted African-American, Booker T. Washington, who similarly said: "No greater injury can be done to any youth than to let him feel that because he belongs to this or that race he will be advanced in life regardless of his own merits or efforts."

That's an interesting quote, for sure. Do you know what Washington was specifically speaking about when he made the statement?

That's an interesting quote, for sure. Do you know what Washington was specifically speaking about when he made the statement?

No, I don't, but the context of his comment can easily be applied to topics such as affirmative action, race-based quotas and diversity (in particular, what the Naval Academy is doing along those lines.)

I agree with Williams, it does a great disservice to minorities in that aspect.

The thing that I've noticed alot of (especially in the HBCU that I graduated from) it was somewhat easy for minorities to accepted and get in, but they still had to do the work required for the degree. I would see students dropping out left and right due to them not being academically prepared coming out of high school.

They couldn't read, write well nor comprehend what they were reading. I couldn't believe it.

No, I don't, but the context of his comment can easily be applied to topics such as affirmative action, race-based quotas and diversity (in particular, what the Naval Academy is doing along those lines.)

You're only saying that because you're white :P

Booker T. had a lot of great quotes

"One man can not hold another man in a ditch without being in the ditch himself"

and of course "Can you dig it suckaaaaaaaa"

Booker T. had a lot of great quotes

"One man can not hold another man in a ditch without being in the ditch himself"

and of course "Can you dig it suckaaaaaaaa"

Yeah and you're forgetting the best one of all:

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.