Which Of These Teams Will Have The Best Season?

I started a similar thread last year. Most people predicted either Falcons or Hawks. I went with Hawks. This is how I would rank last year:

Hawks - improved their record, went to the playoffs and won the first round

Falcons - dusted themselves off after 2007 and rolled to the playoffs. Unbelieveable

GaTech - excellent job by PJ. Ranked one slot better than GA in the BCS and won head to head

Dawgs - had it going but stumbled a few times. Still a very good year

Braves - a dismal season

Thrashers - a putrid season

All in all it was a decent year in Georgia. Best in many years. I see another good year in 2009 but think it will play out like this:

Hawks - I think they will climb another couple notches

Braves - pitching is back in ATL. Now they are starting to hit

Jackets - they should get better this season

Falcons - I expect them to be better but only pull a 9-7 record from the schedule we have

Dawgs - Falconlike schedule, plus they lost the motor to their offense

Thrashers - I expect an improvement but still don't see them making the playoffs

For the college teams I only included football. They both were awful on paper in basketball last year and probably will be again.

What is your prediction? Consider winning%, how far they'll go in the post season and championships.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started a similar thread last year. Most people predicted either Hawks or Falcons. I went with Hawks. This is how I would rank last year:

Falcons - dusted themselves off after 2007 and rolled to the playoffs. Unbelieveable

GaTech - excellent job by PJ. Ranked lower than Ga in the polls but won head to head

Braves - a dismal season

This year I see it like this:

Falcons - I expect us to be better but only amass a 9-7 record from the schedule we have

Thrashers - I expect an improvement but still don't see them making the playoffs

For the college teams I only included football. They both were awful on paper last year and could be again.

What is your prediction? Consider winning%, how far they go in the post season and championships.

Hawks - I can't see them doing as well as they did last season. They just haven't made the kinds of improvements the other Eastern Conference teams have. Orlando got Carter. Cleveland got Shaq. Boston got Sheed. Atlanta got... another shooting guard who likes to throw up a ton of shots and doesn't play defense. Great addition! They're a playoff team, but barely.

Braves - I would argue they have the best starting pitching in baseball. They just can't hit their way out of a paper sack. If they play like they have the past 2 weeks, they're a lock for the division though. That is, however, assuming that the Phil's can't make it the whole rest of the season without losing. If this team can get into the playoffs, that starting pitching is going to scare any team, I think.

Falcons - I think we should make the playoffs with at least a 9 win season, and if we make the postseason, like the Braves, I think we're a REALLY scary team. I'm not ready to say Super Bowl yet, but we could go deep.

Jackets - The ACC is getting tougher, and I don't really pay attention to GT's recruiting and whatnot, but VT's gonna be strong, UNC keeps getting more guys that Butch likes, they're kind of still in the role that the Falcons are - good, but not as good as they can be yet. Miami keeps getting better, Wake is strong, I don't see the Jackets doing much. Especially with their tough SEC opponents early in the season.

Dawgs - It really stinks that the one year they finally put it all together, they got snubbed. I think they'll struggle to put it all together like they did 2 years ago, but they'll have an 8 win season or more.

Thrashers - I think they should make the playoffs, but in order for that to happen a few things have to happen. 1. Players have to keep playing with fire like they did at the end of the year. 2. Everyone has to stay bought into the new system, including the new players. 3. Kovy needs to re-sign. 4. Kari needs to stay healthy. The Thrashers can score like CRAZY but their defense is just awful. This team will be good in 2 years though, if DW doesn't trade it away in some stupid deadline move to try to buy a playoff berth.

I started a similar thread last year. Most people predicted either Falcons or Hawks. I went with Hawks. This is how I would rank last year:

GaTech - excellent job by PJ. Ranked lower than Ga in the polls but won head to head

Braves - a dismal season

All in all it was a decent year in Georgia. Best in many years. This year I see it like this:

Falcons - I expect us to be better but only pull a 9-7 record from the schedule we have

For the college teams I only included football. They both were awful on paper in basketball last year and could be again.

What is your prediction? Consider winning%, how far they go in the post season and championships.

hawks suck i hate there front office

they continue to make bad decisions over and over again i am a little excited about teague but then they go and resign bibby they have 4people that are potential starters that are selfish and shoot first now bibby jeff teague jamaal crawford josh smith and joe johnson even though its joe's job they got tomany doing the same thing and no big man yet to help al out so nope every one else is making smart choices like detriot and cleveland boston reloaded hawks stand no chance ohyea and not to mention the magics

i think it will be the falcons hands down

everyone else i can see being pretty consistant

I am anticipating a strong run by the Falcons. Look for the bare minimum of a playoff win but possibly even a Championship.

I actually think they Hawks did improve themselves offensively with the drafting of Teague and the dude they got from GS. I just hope their defense can grow a bit more and that Maybe Josh Smith can get a little more consistent.

Braves are starting to play up to their capabilities and they have made some moves that have this offense really going right now. The pitching has always been very very good. Not sure what they will be doing with Hanson when he comes back in a few weeks. I can't see anyone coming out of that starting rotation. Heck, even our fifth starter is undefeated. They could make a surprising push if they stay healthy. They are starting to remind me of those early Braves teams who made huge pushes in the second half to over come deficits.

Thrashers? Please. They got one of the best players in hockey and still can't win.

Dawgs, look for a big surprise. They will finish in the top 10. Maybe top 5. I think that if they stay healthy they can do what was expected last year. Still got to beat Florida though. Not a easy task.

Tech, maybe as good if not better than the Dawgs because of that triple option offense they be running. That last game will be huge between these two rivals.

In order:

1. Falcons

2. Braves

3. Dawgs or Tech (depends who wins that game)

4. The loser of 3.

5. Hawks

6. Thrashers

The Falcons will but the hawks are dangerous like tha falcons are. If they get into the playoffs Josh Smith looks like one of the best in the league. Joe can go off at any moment. Marvin Williams is a big factor. If he can grow he has A LOT OF POTENTIAL I mean A LOT, he is the key Al continues to grow and Zaza he can play and brings tenacity to this playoff team. If Teague is consistant watch out a true big man or not this team can go deep. BUT the Falcons are better wihout a doubt B)

The Falcons will but the hawks are dangerous like tha falcons are. If they get into the playoffs Josh Smith looks like one of the best in the league. Joe can go off at any moment. Marvin Williams is a big factor. If he can grow he has A LOT OF POTENTIAL I mean A LOT, he is the key Al continues to grow and Zaza he can play and brings tenacity to this playoff team. If Teague is consistant watch out a true big man or not this team can go deep. BUT the Falcons are better wihout a doubt B)

Look, I love the Hawks like I love all my ATL teams, but you can't tell me the Hawks are a dangerous team in the playoffs. They were so dangerous they almost didn't get blown out by Cleveland in a couple games...

Look, I love the Hawks like I love all my ATL teams, but you can't tell me the Hawks are a dangerous team in the playoffs. They were so dangerous they almost didn't get blown out by Cleveland in a couple games...

3/5 of their starters were injured by the time they played cleveland, so its tough to gauge how good they are based on that series alone.

also, Tech only plays one "tough SEC opponent early in the season" and that is Mississippi State in the 5th game, hardly an SEC powerhouse. the other two games are against Vanderbilt on Oct 31 and U(sic)ga on november 28th. so tech basically plays one tough sec opponent and it is the last game of the season. Wake is also in the other division and neither team plays one another this season (unless its in the ACC Championship game) so im not sure i understand your reasoning as to why the Jackets "won't be doing much"

In order

Falcons-possible SB appearance. At least as far as they got in 08

Braves-wildcard, unless hitting stops in August

Dawgs-2nd in SEC East to FL, perhaps winners of East if they beat LSU and win turnover battle against FL. Under the radar.

Jackets-No longer under the radar, 2nd in Coastal

Hawks-no significant help to get past Celts or Cavs

Thrashers-no significant help

They haven't signed Marvin Williams yet. I hope they do but I am not sure if they are even trying. They signed ZaZa and Bibby right away. They are good but they are not elite yet. I really think they need a new coach before they can be elite. They are way to inconsistent and I attribute that to the coach. I hope you are right though. I like us picking up Crawford and I really like Teague too.

Hawks: Make playoff but are out after 1 series.

Braves: Well, if they would hit consistently. . .sorry no playoffs. Too bad the pitching is there.

Falcons: Best season in the bunch. 10-6 and going deep in the playoffs though not a SB winner YET!

Jackets: Better in year 2 of Paul Johnson, might surprise, I think the ACC will come down to them, VT, and UNC.

Dawgs: Let's just say its a good thing that Mark Richt has built up some job security, he'll need it with the year the dawgs will have.

Thrashers: Who watches hockey anyway?

Hawks: Make playoff but are out after 1 series.

Braves: Well, if they would hit consistently. . .sorry no playoffs. Too bad the pitching is there.

Falcons: Best season in the bunch. 10-6 and going deep in the playoffs though not a SB winner YET!

Jackets: Better in year 2 of Paul Johnson, might surprise, I think the ACC will come down to them, VT, and UNC.

Dawgs: Let's just say its a good thing that Mark Richt has built up some job security, he'll need it with the year the dawgs will have.

Thrashers: Who watches hockey anyway?

:huh:

sisko-facepalm.jpg

I know yall will probably think I'm crazy, but i thing UGA can have the type of season they were supposed to have last year.

Granted Stafford and Moreno are gone, but Cox is a good QB who didnt start because the #1 pick was ahead of him. He knows the system, not a big step back there.

Caleb King was more highly touted than moreno and showed flashes of brilliance last season, not a big step back at RB.

AJ Green, enough said.

O-line healthy can be dominant *crosses fingers*.

And the defense, what killed UGA the most last season will have Jeff Owens (DT) back healthy and if he can do the things he did 2 years ago can really make a difference for our slightly depleted secondary. Don't count them out just yet.

I know yall will probably think I'm crazy, but i thing UGA can have the type of season they were supposed to have last year.

Granted Stafford and Moreno are gone, but Cox is a good QB who didnt start because the #1 pick was ahead of him. He knows the system, not a big step back there.

Caleb King was more highly touted than moreno and showed flashes of brilliance last season, not a big step back at RB.

AJ Green, enough said.

O-line healthy can be dominant *crosses fingers*.

And the defense, what killed UGA the most last season will have Jeff Owens (DT) back healthy and if he can do the things he did 2 years ago can really make a difference for our slightly depleted secondary. Don't count them out just yet.

x5sfh3.jpg