SI: Vick Deserves Opportunity To Play

1968again

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?cnn=yes

Vick deserves opportunity to play

My wife has a huge heart when it comes to animals, dogs in particular. She has given our 11-year-old German Shepherd so many belly rubs that it rolls onto its side when it sees her coming. On hot days she'll put large chunks of ice into Ruby's water pan, and at dinner she'll mix in grilled steak or baked chicken because, in her opinion, dry kibble just isn't good enough by itself.

My wife also is among those who believe Michael Vick should get a second chance in the NFL now that his 23-month prison sentence for bankrolling an illegal dog-fighting operation is over. "Ban him from owning a dog," she told me last weekend. "But let the man earn a living."

Can I get an amen?

The debate about whether Vick's indefinite suspension should be lifted by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is as tiresome as the speculation about whether Brett Favre will return for another season. Vick has done his time, lost most of his money and been publicly disgraced. His name has been indelibly stained by the admission that he tortured and killed dogs.

Enough is enough. It's time for him to have an opportunity to return to work. Notice I said opportunity.

If Vick knocks on the office door of each of the league's 32 owners and, one by one, is turned away, so be it. He has no one to blame but himself. But to unilaterally prevent the former star quarterback from playing because of fears about how fans or sponsors might react would be hypocritical at best, shameful at worst.

If the NFL can give second chances to gamblers (Art Schlichter), drug traffickers (Tamarick Vanover and Bam Morris) and those who commit vechicular homicide while driving drunk (Leonard Little) -- yes, I consider killing someone while driving drunk to be murder, even if the law doesn't -- it should give Vick the opportunity to resume his career. It's true that none of the aforementioned transgressions took place on Goodell's watch, but it's also accurate that none of those players, prior to reinstatement, was punished as severely as Vick.

The argument that Vick's return would cause a loss of fans or sponsors is laughable. The NFL is the Gulliver of professional sports leagues. Its game is bigger than any one individual, including Vick. The vast majority of fans just want to be entertained, as we've seen time after time when crowds have cheered wildly when a fallen star has returned and played at an elite level.

Vick isn't the first player to participate in dog-fighting and he won't be the last; I'm told there are active players still attending these despicable events. And yet there seems to be this push to make an example out of him. Where was this type of outrage when former members of Congress admitted to being members of a group that committed the same heinous acts on African-Americans that Vick did on some of his dogs?

Vick's actions were repulsive and worthy of strong punishment. However, if he truly has accepted that what he did was wrong, Goodell should heed the words President Bush said in his 2004 State of the Union address while discussing legislation to help convicted criminals re-enter society.

"America," he said, "is the land of the second chance." At last check Vick is still an American.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that he should never be able to own ANY animal again.

That said, I still hope the the NFL blocks him.

There are more avenues to get a job. He's got some college under his belt and can finish his degree and get a job in the real world for his "opportunity to make a living." To me, being a professional athlete isn't a right, it's a privilege--like belonging ot a club. He embarrassed the NFL and doesn't deserve to be welcomed back with open arms. That's just my opinion though...

I agree that he should never be able to own ANY animal again.

That said, I still hope the the NFL blocks him.

There are more avenues to get a job. He's got some college under his belt and can finish his degree and get a job in the real world for his "opportunity to make a living." To me, being a professional athlete isn't a right, it's a privilege--like belonging ot a club. He embarrassed the NFL and doesn't deserve to be welcomed back with open arms. That's just my opinion though...

I, too, hope that MV is finished in the NFL. Aside from the dogfighting atrocities, he lied directly to the faces of A. Blank and R. Goodell, and even though he has served time in prison, I still don't think he is sorry for what he did, I think he's sorry he got caught. From the statements he made concerning his bankruptcy, it sounds as though his main intention in re entering the NFL is to get fat paychecks. Nowhere did he say he loved the game of football or owed anything to it's fans. Like it or not, NFL players ARE role models to a lot of impressionable kids. JMO, as well

Guest Gritz
Two dumb opinions <_< ...

Who the **** are you anyway?

I don't agree with their stances (about Vick being permanently banned) but both of these guys are respected posters.

They deserve a helluva lot more respect than you just showed them........ <_<

I support letting him play - after a short suspension if they feel they need to 'punish' hiim for lying to the commish - Pro Football is a business, not a privilege, and MV has a lot of creditors who deserve their chance to receive some of his future earnings. He is not likely smart enough to do anything other than play football - let him play. It will not hurt the NFL's biz value and will raise interest further.

Who the **** are you anyway?

I don't agree with their stances (about Vick being permanently banned) but both of these guys are respected posters.

They deserve a helluva lot more respect than you just showed them........ <_<

Respected by whom??? There you go again, getting your nose in someone else's fight.

Ready for another beat down? You are still a moron.

Two dumb opinions <_< ...

"Whether we like it or not, as big leaguers, we are role models. The only question is: will it be positive or will it be negative?" - Cal Ripken, Jr.

"There's more than just playing in the game of baseball....You're responsible, you've got to make good decisions and show people how things are supposed to be done." - Tony Gwynn

(From their HOF induction speeches)

MLB and NFL are the same in this regard. JMO

Guest Gritz
Respected by whom??? There you go again, getting your nose in someone else's fight.

Ready for another beat down? You are still a moron.

....and you're still a punk little troll who has never had an original thought.

Go die in a fire..... :lol: :lol:

Guest Gritz
...and punk *%! opinions also......let's just say they were on the side of the confederacy, so this should give you an opinion of why they post the way they do.

Way to not let us down and do what all idiots do who don't have an argument.......

Bring race into it.....

Dayum you are such a predictable, idiotic little beyotch.

How does it feel to be slapped around here on a regular basis?

You're the prison pass-around.

Laughing at those who see playing in the NFL as a PRIVILEGE. :lol::lol:

Why? Only because you make a nice piece of change, more than most common folks.

It's funny how we don't hear folks protesting the goverment for hiring felons of fraud to work for them.

Simply ironic.

Real talk...I asked in another thread is it a privilege to serve in the Armed Forces? No one answered, because the DOD is letting felons and gang members serve now...

"Whether we like it or not, as big leaguers, we are role models. The only question is: will it be positive or will it be negative?" - Cal Ripken, Jr.

"There's more than just playing in the game of baseball....You're responsible, you've got to make good decisions and show people how things are supposed to be done." - Tony Gwynn

(From their HOF induction speeches)

MLB and NFL are the same in this regard. JMO

I agree with what they said, bit I also agree that once you do your time you should be able to continue with your life...Vick has the talent to play and he should be allowed no 'ifs, ands or buts'...I think it's ******** how people released from prison are treated in our society...

In looking at others in the world of entertainment (yes the NFL is entertainment) with convictions or prior felons (Martha Stewart, Robert Downey, Jr., etc.) some digress, but others step it up and do even better than they were doing before. One conviction is no better or worse than the other. Michael Vick should be given the opportunity to play in the NFL again. Utilize his gifts and talents as an athlete and sharpen his techniques. And he should do very well.

I don't honestly believe that he got the 23-month boot for the dogfighting, part of it was the raw flipping incident than anything else. Authorities just were not going to have that - and he got punished. From the facts we all know now that he'd been in dogfighting for years prior to the NFL, so regardless of what anyone says somebody in authority had to know about that especially if you are paying someone like that. Even though some nasty things were said to him walking off the field (and this was not publicized that much), he should have kept his cool. Georgia is still like that you know. But he didn't - hard lesson to learn.

I was thinking the Vikings especially if Favre keeps dragging his a**, I have friends in Minn and they say that many would welcome Vick, but then who knows where he will play. I honestly do not want to see him in this division, defensive players are on record stating that he is very dangerous to them on the field and such an impact player, but God knows best. All of this is about politics and money anyway, so after the secret meetings and delays we will see which team he lands on. And I wish him well.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ex.html?cnn=yes

Vick deserves opportunity to play

My wife has a huge heart when it comes to animals, dogs in particular. She has given our 11-year-old German Shepherd so many belly rubs that it rolls onto its side when it sees her coming. On hot days she'll put large chunks of ice into Ruby's water pan, and at dinner she'll mix in grilled steak or baked chicken because, in her opinion, dry kibble just isn't good enough by itself.

My wife also is among those who believe Michael Vick should get a second chance in the NFL now that his 23-month prison sentence for bankrolling an illegal dog-fighting operation is over. "Ban him from owning a dog," she told me last weekend. "But let the man earn a living."

Can I get an amen?

The debate about whether Vick's indefinite suspension should be lifted by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is as tiresome as the speculation about whether Brett Favre will return for another season. Vick has done his time, lost most of his money and been publicly disgraced. His name has been indelibly stained by the admission that he tortured and killed dogs.

Enough is enough. It's time for him to have an opportunity to return to work. Notice I said opportunity.

If Vick knocks on the office door of each of the league's 32 owners and, one by one, is turned away, so be it. He has no one to blame but himself. But to unilaterally prevent the former star quarterback from playing because of fears about how fans or sponsors might react would be hypocritical at best, shameful at worst.

If the NFL can give second chances to gamblers (Art Schlichter), drug traffickers (Tamarick Vanover and Bam Morris) and those who commit vechicular homicide while driving drunk (Leonard Little) -- yes, I consider killing someone while driving drunk to be murder, even if the law doesn't -- it should give Vick the opportunity to resume his career. It's true that none of the aforementioned transgressions took place on Goodell's watch, but it's also accurate that none of those players, prior to reinstatement, was punished as severely as Vick.

The argument that Vick's return would cause a loss of fans or sponsors is laughable. The NFL is the Gulliver of professional sports leagues. Its game is bigger than any one individual, including Vick. The vast majority of fans just want to be entertained, as we've seen time after time when crowds have cheered wildly when a fallen star has returned and played at an elite level.

Vick isn't the first player to participate in dog-fighting and he won't be the last; I'm told there are active players still attending these despicable events. And yet there seems to be this push to make an example out of him. Where was this type of outrage when former members of Congress admitted to being members of a group that committed the same heinous acts on African-Americans that Vick did on some of his dogs?

Vick's actions were repulsive and worthy of strong punishment. However, if he truly has accepted that what he did was wrong, Goodell should heed the words President Bush said in his 2004 State of the Union address while discussing legislation to help convicted criminals re-enter society.

"America," he said, "is the land of the second chance." At last check Vick is still an American.

He has a chance to earn a living, but that doesn't have to be playing football. **** he has a $10.00 an hour job right now. The same kind of job that hundreds or thousands of people sneak over our border in hopes of getting every day. America is the "land of oppertunity" not the "land of second chances". He had an amazing oppertunity and was too much of a sick thug to appreciate it.

My opinion (and nothing more) is that he should be reinstated this season and suspended the first four games, because it isn't fair to the rest of the NFL that week one be about the return of Mike Vick. That's my opinion, but he doesn't deserve anything, he has to earn it. And sitting on his butt in jail for 23 months was his penalty from society, again that doesn't earn him anything.

so week 5 SHOULD be all about mike vick? is that what youre saying?

i dont understand how 4 more games is going to change anything or help vick or the nfl out at all.

to do it just to appease a group of people who arent big nfl fans would be a disgrace. no real nfl fan would stop following the sport if some other team picked him up. what a joke. steeler fans arent going to stop going to games because vick gets picked up by the saints for example.

Laughing at those who see playing in the NFL as a PRIVILEGE. :lol::lol:

Why? Only because you make a nice piece of change, more than most common folks.

It's funny how we don't hear folks protesting the goverment for hiring felons of fraud to work for them.

Simply ironic.

Funny, Vick agrees that it's a PRIVILEGE. :lol: :lol:

Then again, I don't believe that any felon should be allowed to play in the NFL again so it's not just about dogs for me...

Funny, Vick agrees that it's a PRIVILEGE. :lol: :lol:

Then again, I don't believe that any felon should be allowed to play in the NFL again so it's not just about dogs for me...

He had to say it for others to simmer down their insecurities of him making millions again.

That's the bottom line.

Again, the NFL is a profession not a privilege.

He had to say it for others to simmer down their insecurities of him making millions again.

That's the bottom line.

Again, the NFL is a profession not a privilege.

He didn't have to say anything at all because "others" opinions don't much matter other than Mr. Goodell's.

And again, it's a profession of privilege and felons shouldn't be allowed to play. Repeating your opinion doesn't invalidate mine 2smooth...