Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SanFranMan

why hasn't roethlisberger been suspended indefinatly?

116 posts in this topic

you guys are idiots....vick was accused of dogfighting and was not suspended until it was proven true

he was at the frigging NFL draft talking about Virginia tech and stuff

This is true. The suspension didn't come until 2 maybe 3 days later, or sometime the following week

uhh.. theres no charges...

What do you think Goddell will do IF Roethlisberger settles this out of court? What do you think Goddell will do if this goes to trial and Roethlisberger is found guilty of the civil charges?

Remember, as soon as the indictments came down on vick his longtime homeboys gave him right up. He was the last one to plead guilty and got the toughest sentence. You want to blame someone for his suspension? Blame his bois!

He was suspended before he pled guilty!!! My whole point I'm trying to make! That's not fair that's all I'm saying.

What do you think Goddell will do IF Roethlisberger settles this out of court? What do you think Goddell will do if this goes to trial and Roethlisberger is found guilty of the civil charges?

police arent gonna prosecute him. thus what you said does not matter.

tbh i doubt he did it anyway.

He loses $10,000,000 this season, but it's highly unlikely. The cops already said they wont look into this without a third party

Maybe we should just leave this one alone. Which makes me revert to my original question who here would become a soap dropper to sin with big ben?

StevenAlls wrote: "So Godell picks when he wants to use the innocent until proven guilty cliche? I understand he is not perfect but come on! "

Someone please tell me that the folks posting on this forum are not this stupid....that this person is a troll trying to make this forum look bad. Surely, anyone who has a GED knows the difference between a civil law suit and criminal prosecution.....are people like this allowed to vote?

If the case goes to a grand jury in a criminal trial, and he is indicted, then he will be suspended.

As for the Vick-75 getting raped by Schaub comment. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have also seen this on ESPN now 3 times in the past 3 days, now STFU.

StevenAlls wrote: "So Godell picks when he wants to use the innocent until proven guilty cliche? I understand he is not perfect but come on! "

Someone please tell me that the folks posting on this forum are not this stupid....that this person is a troll trying to make this forum look bad. Surely, anyone who has a GED knows the difference between a civil law suit and criminal prosecution.....are people like this allowed to vote?

Why start with the personal attacks already, Maybe he just doesnt know the difference instead of trying to attack people, why dont you just take the time to explain the difference to the OP. SMH@ Crabapple. I still wonder what happens if Ben is convicted in Civil Court?

you guys are idiots....vick was accused of dogfighting and was not suspended until it was proven true

he was at the frigging NFL draft talking about Virginia tech and stuff

Um the falcons suspended him like the 3rd day of traingcamp the nfl suspended him later on so you are wrong..

Vick and pacman was suspended before convicted. Pacman still has not been convivted for anything!

Research before you whine.

As soon as Vick admitted to what he did, that is.... after he lied to everyone and realized he had too many witnesses turning on him, Goodell suspended him. :rolleyes:

Updated: August 24, 2007, 8:56 PM ET

Vick suspended indefinitely by NFLComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- The NFL has suspended Falcons quarterback Michael Vick indefinitely without pay following his admission of guilt in a dogfighting scheme.

On Friday, Vick filed his plea agreement in federal court admitting to conspiracy in a dogfighting ring and agreeing that the enterprise included killing pit bulls and gambling. He denied making side bets on the fights, but admitted to bankrolling them.

Friday afternoon, a letter to Vick from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, in part:

NFL calls Vick conduct 'cruel'

• Read the full text of the letter sent by commissioner Roger Goodell to Michael Vick suspending the quarterback indefinitely without pay from the NFL on Friday. PDF

"Your admitted conduct was not only illegal, but also cruel and reprehensible" and regardless whether he personally placed bets, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.

The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his decision on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell may meet with Vick in the future, and Goodell said he would review the suspension after all the legal proceedings.

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter after meeting in New York with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay.

"You are now justifiably facing consequences for the decisions you made and the conduct in which you engaged. Your career, freedom and public standing are now in the most serious jeopardy," Goodell wrote. "I hope that you will be able to learn from this difficult experience and emerge from it better prepared to act responsibly and to make the kinds of choices that are expected of a conscientious and law abiding citizen."

Falcons owner Arthur Blank supported Goodell's decision and said:

"We hope that Michael will use this time, not only to further address his legal matters, but to take positive steps to improve his personal life."

Nike, meantime, said it terminated its contract with Vick.

In disciplining Vick, Goodell said he will "review the status of your suspension following the conclusion of the legal proceedings. As part of that review, I will take into account a number of factors, including the resolution of any other charges that may be brought against you, whether in Surry County, Virginia, or other jurisdictions, your conduct going forward, the specifics of the sentence imposed by Judge Hudson and any related findings he might make, and the extent to which you are truthful and cooperative with law enforcement and league staff who are investigating these matters."

"I have advised the Falcons that, with my decision today, they are no longer prohibited from acting and are now free to assert any claims or remedies available to them under the Collective Bargaining Agreement or your NFL Player Contract."

The grisly details outlined in the indictment and other court papers prompted a public backlash against Vick, who had been one of the NFL's most popular players.

Animal-rights groups mobilized against Vick -- even protesting at NFL headquarters in New York -- and sponsors dropped him.

"It is fitting that the NFL has suspended him,'' said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "He's now a role model for something terrible, and it's not appropriate that he suit up in an NFL uniform."

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

I'll start paying attention to this story when stuff starts happening in criminal court. If she's serious about this business, file a criminal complaint and let police/detectives handle it. If they uncover something, it only helps her in the later civil case and if they don't, it's unlikely she was going to win the civil case anyway.

No reason to hand out a suspension now: a serious charge no doubt, but one that is uncorroborated and apparently unaccompanied by criminal court action. Until either one of those facts change, this is no more than hearsay at best and defamation at worst...

police arent gonna prosecute him. thus what you said does not matter.

tbh i doubt he did it anyway.

Hooooold up! So, as long as he is not investigated or prosecuted by the police, you think Goddell will give him a pass? You don't thing settling a civil case (rape, by the way) out of court or being found guilty of rape in a civil court is means for a suspension as long as the police aren't involved? Is that what you're saying?

Um the falcons suspended him like the 3rd day of traingcamp the nfl suspended him later on so you are wrong..

training camp starts on august and he was accused on april....

so if we suspended him on august...that's 5 months man

Well there is 0 chance he'll be found guilty of civil charges. Liable is the word you are seeking.

He was suspended before he pled guilty!!! My whole point I'm trying to make! That's not fair that's all I'm saying.

Revisionist history strikes again.

Check the Vick timeline here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983141

and suspension letter here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2990157

Summary: Goodell officially suspended Vick later on the same day he filed his plea agreement with the court where he admitted he did it.

The only thing you can be thinking about is when the league told Vick to stay out of training camp that summer while they investigated everything. THat is not a suspensions and did not cost Vick a penny.

I bet you believed Obama when he told you he fixed the economy six months ago tonight; and that you believed Bush when he told you "Mission Accomplished" six years ago.

Well there is 0 chance he'll be found guilty of civil charges. Liable is the word you are seeking.

I dont know about 0, it is easier to be found guilty in civil court than to be found guilty in Criminal Court.

So Godell picks when he wants to use the innocent until proven guilty cliche? I understand he is not perfect but come on!

Vick was no longer innocent when he admitted guilt and subsequently (that is after that admission) Goodell not Godell suspended him.

QFT and EOT ;)

Revisionist history strikes again.

Check the Vick timeline here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2983141

and suspension letter here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2990157

Summary: Goodell officially suspended Vick later on the same day he filed his plea agreement with the court where he admitted he did it.

The only thing you can be thinking about is when the league told Vick to stay out of training camp that summer while they investigated everything. THat is not a suspensions and did not cost Vick a penny.

I bet you believed Obama when he told you he fixed the economy six months ago tonight; and that you believed Bush when he told you "Mission Accomplished" six years ago.

Liable, thanks . . . I just find it hard to believe that Goodell is going to let this slide if Ben settles this out of court and I definitely find it hard to believe he'll let it go if he is found liable . . .

How does anything I said make this forum look bad? How am I a troll for sharing my opinion? You should quit whatever job your pops gave you and become a police officer in cambridge lol you will fit right in.

JayMadd1 wrote: "I still wonder what happens if Ben is convicted in Civil Court?"

OK Jay, I'll go a little slower this time so the "hate whitey" crowd can keep up. You are not "convicted" in civil proceedings...you are held liable for damages. Big Ben has a civil suit pending against him by a golddigger who wants some money. If she had really been raped she would have gone to the "po-po" and had criminal charges filed against the "golden boy"....she did not do that. You see, in our system, anyone can sue anyone in civil proceedings for anything. Like the previous poster wrote (trying to get the obvious point across), Mike Vick could sue Matt Schaub for rape, etc....I guess the point was lost on most folks on this forum....God help us.

Steven Alls wrote: "You should quit whatever job your pops gave you and become a police officer in cambridge lol you will fit right in."

Oh my God...it doesn't take long....yeah all us white folks were born with silver spoons in our mouths and country club memberships....get over yourself and "hating whitey". I built my own business after paying my way through law school...nobody ever gave me anything. As for the cops in Cambridge (with a "big" C) some were black so go figure that one out. No go and Google "civil suit" and "criminal prosecution" and get back to me...no charge dude...and I mean it.

JayMadd1 wrote: "I still wonder what happens if Ben is convicted in Civil Court?"

OK Jay, I'll go a little slower this time so the "hate whitey" crowd can keep up. You are not "convicted" in civil proceedings...you are held liable for damages. Big Ben has a civil suit pending against him by a golddigger who wants some money. If she had really been raped she would have gone to the "po-po" and had criminal charges filed against the "golden boy"....she did not do that. You see, in our system, anyone can sue anyone in civil proceedings for anything. Like the previous poster wrote (trying to get the obvious point across), Mike Vick could sue Matt Schaub for rape, etc....I guess the point was lost on most folks on this forum....God help us.

YOu even act like a Crab, I see it is not just a name. I see that a civil conversation is too much for you

Steven Alls wrote: "You should quit whatever job your pops gave you and become a police officer in cambridge lol you will fit right in."

Oh my God...it doesn't take long....yeah all us white folks were born with silver spoons in our mouths and country club memberships....get over yourself and "hating whitey". I built my own business after paying my way through law school...nobody ever gave me anything. As for the cops in Cambridge (with a "big" C) some were black so go figure that one out. No go and Google "civil suit" and "criminal prosecution" and get back to me...no charge dude...and I mean it.

Crab - what do you think Goodell is going to do if Roethlisberger settles this out of court or if he is found liable in civil court?

I wonder if all the folks who are now wanting Big Ben suspended based upon a "civil" accusation were screaming for Kobe's suspension after he was indicted in criminal proceedings for rape. Don't bother to answer.....I know they didn't want their "brown brother" going down for such meaningless charges...but want the "Golden Boy" suspended immediately....LOL

I wonder if all the folks who are now wanting Big Ben suspended based upon a "civil" accusation were screaming for Kobe's suspension after he was indicted in criminal proceedings for rape. Don't bother to answer.....I know they didn't want their "brown brother" going down for such meaningless charges...but want the "Golden Boy" suspended immediately....LOL

Cism'

I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt when they said the you were a R, but I am leaning towards believing that. <_<