Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SacFalcFan

McGee takes a stand: Georgia no longer welcome at Carver.

58 posts in this topic

Carver of Columbus coach Dell McGee has banned the University of Georgia from recruiting his players because quarterback Devin Burns had his scholarship offer pulled on a visit last weekend, just as he was about to make a commitment.

"To protect our kids and my program, Georgia won't be welcome on my campus," McGee told GHSF Daily late Monday evening. "They're not going to recruit anybody."

According to McGee, Burns and Carver teammate Corey Crawford traveled to Athens on Saturday expecting to commit to Georgia.

Burns' parents and four younger siblings accompanied Burns, whose plan was to accept Georgia's offer in person to head coach Mark Richt, McGee said.

When Georgia became aware of Burns' plans, an assistant coach intervened and told Burns that he no longer had a scholarship offer, McGee said. McGee would not identify the assistant.

Crawford, a highly rated defensive end, then decided against committing, McGee said. Several other Carver players had come to Athens to celebrate the moment, McGee said.

"I understand an offer being rescinded, but the way in which it was done, the embarrassment that the family felt with their high expectations of committing that day, I just feel bad for that kid and his family," McGee said. "That part doesn't sit well with me, especially when you know how emotional mothers are when their babies are getting ready to go to college. ... They're heartbroken."

Per NCAA rules, college coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits. Attempts to reach Georgia coaches and communications officials late Monday were unsuccessful.

McGee said he spoke with Richt on Sunday by phone.

"I told him how I felt, and he said he supported my decision and said he didn't blame me," McGee said. "He apologized. He admitted that they screwed up and didn't handle the situation correctly."

McGee said the scholarship offer was made last spring by Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo during Bobo's visit to a practice. Bobo reaffirmed the offer later in the spring, McGee said.

McGee is a former NFL player who played at Auburn. He is close to Georgia assistant coaches Stacy Searels and Rodney Garner, who also played at Auburn. In fact, the three were together on Auburn's undefeated 1993 team, McGee as a player, Searels as a graduate assistant and Garner as an assitant coach. McGee said he didn't want to assign blame to anyone in particular.

"I respect Coach Richt; I know he's a Christian guy," McGee said. "He's a model coach and father. It's just a big breakdown in their communication within the coaching staff at Georgia, and that's kind of sad. I'm sure they'll get it corrected."

In the meantime, McGee says hands off. That includes running back Isaiah Crowell and defensive tackle Gabriel Wright, generally regarded as two of the top 10 juniors in Georgia. They were with Burns in Athens last weekend, and both reportedly have early offers from Georgia.

McGee became Carver's coach in 2005. The school had not had a winning season in 10 years but won the Class AAA championship in McGee's third season. The school has produced several major recruits, including linebacker Jarvis Jones in 2008. Jones signed with Southern Cal.

This season, Carver has four seniors who are rated among the top 100 players in Georgia by Scout.com. Only Southwest DeKalb, with four, has as many.

McGee would not say if the ban was permanent.

"Mark Richt is a class guy; I'm sure he'll write a letter of apology and things of that sort," McGee said. "It's going to take time. I've got to stand up for kids in my program."

http://blogs.onlineathens.com/node/1200

McGee takes a stand: Georgia

no longer welcome at Carver

Carver of Columbus coach Dell McGee has banned the University of Georgia from recruiting his players because quarterback Devin Burns had his scholarship offer pulled on a visit last weekend, just as he was about to make a commitment.

"To protect our kids and my program, Georgia won't be welcome on my campus," McGee told GHSF Daily late Monday evening. "They're not going to recruit anybody."

According to McGee, Burns and Carver teammate Corey Crawford traveled to Athens on Saturday expecting to commit to Georgia.

Burns' parents and four younger siblings accompanied Burns, whose plan was to accept Georgia's offer in person to head coach Mark Richt, McGee said.

When Georgia became aware of Burns' plans, an assistant coach intervened and told Burns that he no longer had a scholarship offer, McGee said. McGee would not identify the assistant.

Crawford, a highly rated defensive end, then decided against committing, McGee said. Several other Carver players had come to Athens to celebrate the moment, McGee said.

"I understand an offer being rescinded, but the way in which it was done, the embarrassment that the family felt with their high expectations of committing that day, I just feel bad for that kid and his family," McGee said. "That part doesn't sit well with me, especially when you know how emotional mothers are when their babies are getting ready to go to college. ... They're heartbroken."

Per NCAA rules, college coaches are not allowed to comment on recruits. Attempts to reach Georgia coaches and communications officials late Monday were unsuccessful.

McGee said he spoke with Richt on Sunday by phone.

"I told him how I felt, and he said he supported my decision and said he didn't blame me," McGee said. "He apologized. He admitted that they screwed up and didn't handle the situation correctly."

McGee said the scholarship offer was made last spring by Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo during Bobo's visit to a practice. Bobo reaffirmed the offer later in the spring, McGee said.

McGee is a former NFL player who played at Auburn. He is close to Georgia assistant coaches Stacy Searels and Rodney Garner, who also played at Auburn. In fact, the three were together on Auburn's undefeated 1993 team, McGee as a player, Searels as a graduate assistant and Garner as an assitant coach. McGee said he didn't want to assign blame to anyone in particular.

"I respect Coach Richt; I know he's a Christian guy," McGee said. "He's a model coach and father. It's just a big breakdown in their communication within the coaching staff at Georgia, and that's kind of sad. I'm sure they'll get it corrected."

In the meantime, McGee says hands off. That includes running back Isaiah Crowell and defensive tackle Gabriel Wright, generally regarded as two of the top 10 juniors in Georgia. They were with Burns in Athens last weekend, and both reportedly have early offers from Georgia.

McGee became Carver's coach in 2005. The school had not had a winning season in 10 years but won the Class AAA championship in McGee's third season. The school has produced several major recruits, including linebacker Jarvis Jones in 2008. Jones signed with Southern Cal.

This season, Carver has four seniors who are rated among the top 100 players in Georgia by Scout.com. Only Southwest DeKalb, with four, has as many.

McGee would not say if the ban was permanent.

"Mark Richt is a class guy; I'm sure he'll write a letter of apology and things of that sort," McGee said. "It's going to take time. I've got to stand up for kids in my program."

It stinks completely for Burns. I understand what happened, but it's tough when you run out of room.

i merged our threads.. i had posted this earlier today.

My bad. Didn't see it on the first three or four new threads. But how do you think this is going to affect our recruiting of Isaiah Crowell and Gabe Wright next year? I'm thinking things will be patched up by then but I can see how Burns would be upset that the UGA staff did not tell him before he decides to bring his whole family over for the event. I could see how Burns could try to talk his teammates from committing to us.

My bad. Didn't see it on the first three or four new threads. But how do you think this is going to affect our recruiting of Isaiah Crowell and Gabe Wright next year? I'm thinking things will be patched up by then but I can see how Burns would be upset that the UGA staff did not tell him before he decides to bring his whole family over for the event. I could see how Burns could try to talk his teammates from committing to us.

It won't IMO. I didn't see us getting crowell anyways, but we will still get Gabe Wright. This will blow over. Mcgee hates uga and part of his outrage is due to his hate for anything georgia. I know guys who know him personally who are aware of what is going on here. He is a big auburn guy and there is a reason we don't get carver guys. UGA coaches deserve blame here, but so does burns and especially mcgee. Why do you think morant committed last week before dawgnight? He knew georgia was filling out and almost out of space. Mcgee knew this. If you have coached at this level you are aware of how recruiting works so when you encourage kids to wait or don't verify their offers and assume an offer this past spring is still today and 16 commits later you have a risk. UGA should have communicated this to them as well, but the communication goes both ways.

I don't see how Burns gets blamed here. He was told he had an offer and until he got to campus, thought it was still on the table. I keep hearing the argument that UGA's class was filling up and he should have committed sooner. Granted, but at this point in time, he had no clue there was no longer an offer available because the coaches dropped the ball. I guess you can argue that he should have called but that's not really on him. If there wasn't an offer, he should have been told long before it came to this.

It's not so much about him having an offer rescinded, its about how it was done. You can't blame the kid for that.

Now, as far as the Carver coach goes, I support a coach's decision to protect his kids but I think he may have just been looking for an excuse to bash UGA, too.

I don't see how Burns gets blamed here. He was told he had an offer and until he got to campus, thought it was still on the table. I keep hearing the argument that UGA's class was filling up and he should have committed sooner. Granted, but at this point in time, he had no clue there was no longer an offer available because the coaches dropped the ball. I guess you can argue that he should have called but that's not really on him. If there wasn't an offer, he should have been told long before it came to this.

It's not so much about him having an offer rescinded, its about how it was done. You can't blame the kid for that.

Now, as far as the Carver coach goes, I support a coach's decision to protect his kids but I think he may have just been looking for an excuse to bash UGA, too.

If you are a recruit and you are going to commit or feel you are you communicate to the coaches. He was given an offer in spring and that was dependent on having available scholarships or room. You don't get an offer and it's valid until you get on campus. That isn't how it works. If he had committed sooner it would have been fine, but uga has no room. Why do you think dexter morant committed? He committed because his coach and he followed and communicated with uga coaches. He was aware as was his coach what was going on. If you are going to bring your family and come up to camp you should have called the coaches beforehand and he did not. Did I say a lot of blame was on him? No, but yes he deserves some of it for how he handled it. UGA isn't like some schools when they offer and you accept on the spot they take you. Many of our rivals have offers that are not committable so you get an offer and no so fast you can't commit which truly isn't an offer. When kids are offered they make the recruits aware they could fill up and their offer not be valid any longer.

I can't blame the kid at all. I would have been upset. He was embarrassed and it was a real bad situation for everyone involved.

Regarding mcgee he is a guy that loves the attention and hates uga so he gets the best of both worlds. He dropped the ball and has a lot of blame as well. As I said he knows the recruiting piece of this and he is supposed to look out for his players. He needs to do a better job next time in handling his recruits.

The uga coaches are mostly to blame in this situation and they will have to smooth things out and whatever backlash it causes.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. He might've waited too long, but you can't blame the kid. UGA should've told Burns to stay home and not bother coming to Athens. Our staff has done a good job in the past with controlling numbers, offers, visits.... I wonder why the breakdown now?

I hope this blows over and doesn't affect our recruiting in the future. Alot of talent in that area.

I think it was handled badly on both sides but I only if UGA knew Burns was going to commit and waited to tell him he couldnt until he got there, but if UGA didnt know he was going to commit than i feel like they have a less fault in the matter.

Burns was a low-mid level recruit, and if a school like UGA offers you than you gotta take advantage of it or risk losing it. This kid had the offer for 5 months and could have committed anytime but he missed out. UGA aint UAB, Troy, or Maryland where he had other offers from. He shoulda committed sooner if he wanted to come here, when he didnt we moved on quickly.

The high school coach is a joke to...

I think it was handled badly on both sides but I only if UGA knew Burns was going to commit and waited to tell him he couldnt until he got there, but if UGA didnt know he was going to commit than i feel like they have a less fault in the matter.

Burns was a low-mid level recruit, and if a school like UGA offers you than you gotta take advantage of it or risk losing it. This kid had the offer for 5 months and could have committed anytime but he missed out. UGA aint UAB, Troy, or Maryland where he had other offers from. He shoulda committed sooner if he wanted to come here, when he didnt we moved on quickly.

The high school coach is a joke to...

No, regardless of whether or not they knew he was going to commit, they should have contacted Burns and pulled the offer instead of waiting for him to get there and then do it. That's just dirty poker IMO.

How is the coach a joke for standing up for his players? I'm as big of a jaded homer as anyone but sometimes, them rosy shades gotta come off dude...

No, regardless of whether or not they knew he was going to commit, they should have contacted Burns and pulled the offer instead of waiting for him to get there and then do it. That's just dirty poker IMO.

How is the coach a joke for standing up for his players? I'm as big of a jaded homer as anyone but sometimes, them rosy shades gotta come off dude...

Dirty poker? LoL. :rolleyes:

I'm sure this situation isn't unique to UGA. Virtually every school in the SEC has run across the same predicament. It's about communication and timing.

I'm sure this situation isn't unique to UGA. Virtually every school in the SEC has run across the same predicament. It's about communication and timing.

Gator fan... Don't bother...

It stinks completely for Burns. I understand what happened, but it's tough when you run out of room.

In a way, it is good for Burns. First, better it happens in July than 2 weeks before signing day. Second, he will probably see the field a lot sooner at Arkansas or Mississippi State.

Everything in life now a days is about numbers. In buisness its about the bottom line. At home its about your checking account balance, especially with this economy. Burns and McGee knew UGA was running out of scholarships. So in a way it is Burns fault for waiting so long, and in a way McGee is over-reacting. These things happen all the time. Just ask Kacy Rogers.

You're right about contacting him, assuming they knew they didn't have the room before he left Columbus, which they may not have. And assuming he told them beforehand that he was coming to commit, which we don't know. The problem with assigning blame in these situations is that the college coaches can't explain themselves. Calling it "dirty poker", to me at least, implies that someone actively tried to deceive this kid. Is that what you're alleging?

And I can tell you exactly how the coach is to blame. McGee isn't some phys.ed. teacher who's been pressed into service and doesn't know anything about recruiting. He has/had at least a dozen legit. D-1 prospects at Carver, was recruited by and played at Auburn, and is active at camps and other events where you learn a little about college recruiting. He knew the numbers. He knows the game. He let Burns get to Athens to try to accept an offer without a heads up to the coaches there, knowing that this kind of thing happens when you do that. That's not driving the bus that runs over a guy. But it is knowing what time the bus gets there and not telling the guy to get out of the street so he won't get run over.

Whoops. Looks like CMR overlooked the details with this one. I can understand no schollys left for the kid, but someone should have let him know ahead of time to not travel up to Athens with his family.

It sucks to have a high expectation only to have it crushed by a lowly assistant coach.

As a lot of people have said, I believe both parties are at fault. I believe both parties have to look out for themselves first.

I have an example that I think of often times when I am driving:(I live in an area with a lot of jaywalking) often times a person will walk across the street in front of your car, under the assumption that you see them and you'll slow down to let them pass. When I see this I always think to myself people should never cross the street assuming that the driver is paying attention. Now if a person is clearly in the street, I'm not paying attention and I run that person over, it can be argued that it's my fault. To a certain degree it is my fault for not paying attention, but he also put himself in the position to be hit by assuming that I saw him in the street. Now regardless of who fault it is, damage has been done that could have been avoided easily by either party. Burns should have made sure he could commit and bring his family before hand IMO and the coaches should have let him know as soon as possible that he no longer had an offer, which they obviously didn't do

Also Sac, do you believe that McGee had anything to do with Jarvis Jones not picking UGA??

Whoops. Looks like CMR overlooked the details with this one. I can understand no schollys left for the kid, but someone should have let him know ahead of time to not travel up to Athens with his family.

It sucks to have a high expectation only to have it crushed by a lowly assistant coach.

Is it known that the coaches knew that he was coming to commit with his family?

Yeah that comment about poker deserves a few more of these: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's definately not dirty at all.. seems that gator fans need to get their talking points from their mods. it was poor communication on both sides, but uga coaches have the majority of the blame here.

Yeah that comment about poker deserves a few more of these: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: It's definately not dirty at all.. seems that gator fans need to get their talking points from their mods. it was poor communication on both sides, but uga coaches have the majority of the blame here.

At least we're not oversigning like Nutt, Saban, and Spurrier. :unsure: :rolleyes:;)

You're right about contacting him, assuming they knew they didn't have the room before he left Columbus, which they may not have. And assuming he told them beforehand that he was coming to commit, which we don't know. The problem with assigning blame in these situations is that the college coaches can't explain themselves. Calling it "dirty poker", to me at least, implies that someone actively tried to deceive this kid. Is that what you're alleging?

And I can tell you exactly how the coach is to blame. McGee isn't some phys.ed. teacher who's been pressed into service and doesn't know anything about recruiting. He has/had at least a dozen legit. D-1 prospects at Carver, was recruited by and played at Auburn, and is active at camps and other events where you learn a little about college recruiting. He knew the numbers. He knows the game. He let Burns get to Athens to try to accept an offer without a heads up to the coaches there, knowing that this kind of thing happens when you do that. That's not driving the bus that runs over a guy. But it is knowing what time the bus gets there and not telling the guy to get out of the street so he won't get run over.

I wouldn't waste my time,, regarding mcgee, he is a hater pure and simple and took this opportunity for his personal agenda and if you don't know what i am talking about then you don't know much about carver or about mcgee.

Is it known that the coaches knew that he was coming to commit with his family?

I'm sure somebody had to have known something to that effect or else his coach wouldn't be acting like this.

As a lot of people have said, I believe both parties are at fault. I believe both parties have to look out for themselves first.

I have an example that I think of often times when I am driving:(I live in an area with a lot of jaywalking) often times a person will walk across the street in front of your car, under the assumption that you see them and you'll slow down to let them pass. When I see this I always think to myself people should never cross the street assuming that the driver is paying attention. Now if a person is clearly in the street, I'm not paying attention and I run that person over, it can be argued that it's my fault. To a certain degree it is my fault for not paying attention, but he also put himself in the position to be hit by assuming that I saw him in the street. Now regardless of who fault it is, damage has been done that could have been avoided easily by either party. Burns should have made sure he could commit and bring his family before hand IMO and the coaches should have let him know as soon as possible that he no longer had an offer, which they obviously didn't do

Also Sac, do you believe that McGee had anything to do with Jarvis Jones not picking UGA??

I agree with the above and no jarvis wasn't staying in state no matter what mcgee did.

I wouldn't waste my time,, regarding mcgee, he is a hater pure and simple and took this opportunity for his personal agenda and if you don't know what i am talking about then you don't know much about carver or about mcgee.

Oh I've got a good idea what you're talking about.

And looking back at my post, I wanted to make clear that I'm not saying the UGA coaches were totally blameless. You make an offer, you're responsible for it. But yeah, McGee could have prevented this problem if he had wanted to. All he had to do was advise Devin when the dominoes started falling that if he wanted to go to Georgia he'd better go ahead and commit and not wait, and that if he planned to do it when he got to Athens he should give his recruiting coach a heads up. He didn't apparently, and I imagine he had his reasons.

Oh I've got a good idea what you're talking about.

And looking back at my post, I wanted to make clear that I'm not saying the UGA coaches were totally blameless. You make an offer, you're responsible for it. But yeah, McGee could have prevented this problem if he had wanted to. All he had to do was advise Devin when the dominoes started falling that if he wanted to go to Georgia he'd better go ahead and commit and not wait, and that if he planned to do it when he got to Athens he should give his recruiting coach a heads up. He didn't apparently, and I imagine he had his reasons.

my point has been and still is how come morant who is in south carolina knows about uga filling up and burns doesn't and he doesn't even contact uga coaches about his possible commitment and visit. I believe uga coaches do have blame in this, but his coach is as much to blame as the uga coaches are. he knows what the heck is going on. It's not like he just started coaching. it was poor communication and an unfortunate situation for burns and his family that could have been avoided with a simple phone call. Understand uga coaches could not call burns. It's a dead period for the month of July.