Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SWIFT HITTER

I hope Roger Goodell does the right thing

111 posts in this topic

Vick is alot more complicated than most players normally are that get in trouble.

Vick kinda lied strait to goodell's face, its one thing to get in trouble its another to lie about it to your boss, then your boss find out youy are guilty when you go to jail.

Goodell doesn't owe Vick ****.

you people need to realize if you get arrested with cocain tell me how your job hunting goes when you get out. Vick made his own bed, and he can only pray that Goodell's in a forgiving mood, I know I wouldn't let him back in. NFL makes enough cash without his drama.

This is coming from one of his biggest critics ..The man has been punished enough and I do believe if he is sincere and helps his community with providing a message what he did is wrong ..He deserves a second chance.

I'll disagree. I've been a person who was not a Vick fan, but I have changed my stance on him somewhat after talking with some people here in Suffolk/Norfolk who actually know him well. I do believe that Vick should be reinstated, and I do believe that another team should give him a shot to play (although not necessarily at QB). However, I think Vick being reinstated for this season would be a mistake by Roger Goodell. The commish has been trying to set a standard that players must uphold in order to have the privilege of playing in the NFL. By letting Vick play immediately after his release, then he is setting a bad precedence, that is also counter to the actions that he has taken against other players who have found themselves in trouble with the law. For Vick's suspension to only be concurrent with his jail time would not punish Vick at all in relation to his ability to work in the NFL. If Vick were not suspended while in prison, he still would not have been able to play anyway. All the suspension did at that point was to provide some measure of cap relief for the Falcons. To keep Vick's suspension in line with previously handed down suspensions, it would have to be for at least 1 year. Now, given other circumstances, such as Vick being away for so long, I could see that being reduced to allow Vick to have a full offseason with a team which would give him the opportunity to play in 2010. So I think a 1 year suspension starting August 1st, getting reduced to 6 months, allowing him to sign with and working out with a team starting around Feb 1st is feasible.

JMO

Vick has to earn the right to play in the NFL. He lied to the commish right to his face and he has to earn the commish's respect back. How hard is it for a convicted felon to get a job in the real world? Vick shouldn't be allowed to just waltz back into the NFL.

I agree, but I also hope Vick doesn't come back and stink it up either... -_-

Dude needs to have a renewed mind if he wants to be successful this time...this is his last shot...come back, be the QB that we wanted him to be and that Matt Ryan has become for us...hopefully Goodell gives him that shot.

and that is? Dude's played 1 year and he is the 2nd coming, a playoff loser against a very bad Arizona defense..... :lol::lol::lol:

and that is? Dude's played 1 year and he is the 2nd coming, a playoff loser against a very bad Arizona defense..... :lol::lol::lol:

A very bad Arizona Defense that took THE BEST team in the NFL down to the wire in the Super Bowl right? Do you TRY to make yourself look dumb intentionally? :huh:

Vick will only be suspended for 6 games if he's signed with a team before preseason.

Yes, our leader is finally free. B):D

ugh... thats not true. I know several people who had had felonies who now own businesses,vote, and bare arms. It called a first offenders plea, If you finish out your term of probation without violating you get your rights back and you get a clean record. So technically speaking yes there is a second chance. Also there are people who are rich enough to go back to court and get their record expunged. So there are many ways when you have felonies to get a second chance. Just thought I'd share that. B) B)

I love to learn and do thank you for that info :D Now I have something to work on, and I'll get back with ya :D

ugh... thats not true. I know several people who had had felonies who now own businesses,vote, and bare arms. It called a first offenders plea, If you finish out your term of probation without violating you get your rights back and you get a clean record. So technically speaking yes there is a second chance. Also there are people who are rich enough to go back to court and get their record expunged. So there are many ways when you have felonies to get a second chance. Just thought I'd share that. B) B)

Own businesses? Well if mv buys an NFL franchise he can hire himself!

Hmm, Lets see: Once an American Citizian is convicted of a FELONY, Does he get "A Second Chance" at VOTING or THE RIGHT TO BARE ARMS or even OWNING A BUSSINESS? Answer: NO

Vick shamed Atlanta much less the NFL in my eye so I hope Goodell does the right thing and CLEAN UP THE NFL!

As a "Customer" (Falcons STH) I help pay team salaries, so I think my opinion has merit as any other "Customer" of a given product.

The reason felons can't vote or own a business is because some ********* politician trying to make a name for himself made it so. You act like that's written in the constitution or something.

I'll disagree. I've been a person who was not a Vick fan, but I have changed my stance on him somewhat after talking with some people here in Suffolk/Norfolk who actually know him well. I do believe that Vick should be reinstated, and I do believe that another team should give him a shot to play (although not necessarily at QB). However, I think Vick being reinstated for this season would be a mistake by Roger Goodell. The commish has been trying to set a standard that players must uphold in order to have the privilege of playing in the NFL. By letting Vick play immediately after his release, then he is setting a bad precedence, that is also counter to the actions that he has taken against other players who have found themselves in trouble with the law. For Vick's suspension to only be concurrent with his jail time would not punish Vick at all in relation to his ability to work in the NFL. If Vick were not suspended while in prison, he still would not have been able to play anyway. All the suspension did at that point was to provide some measure of cap relief for the Falcons. To keep Vick's suspension in line with previously handed down suspensions, it would have to be for at least 1 year. Now, given other circumstances, such as Vick being away for so long, I could see that being reduced to allow Vick to have a full offseason with a team which would give him the opportunity to play in 2010. So I think a 1 year suspension starting August 1st, getting reduced to 6 months, allowing him to sign with and working out with a team starting around Feb 1st is feasible.

JMO

not punish vick at all in relation to his ability to work in the nfl?

maybe goodell wont be doing the punishment, but vick has been severely punished in relation to his ability to work in the nfl. or do you mean it matters who is doling out the punishment? just curious, i dont know if i was reading that right.

youre right, other people have been suspended, but the others were also given soft treatment by the courts, whereas vick was given the maximum recommended sentence under the guidelines. the judge didnt show leniency outside what the prosecutors requested for him. not only that, but we dont need to state the obvious about what his contract will look like if reinstated. it wont be 25% of his previous contract, and thats if any team even signs him.

if vick is suspended another year he did it to himself when you look at it in totality. but what purpose would it serve besides appeasing the lynch mob, which comprises of a great deal of people who couldnt name even a quarter of the 32 teams in the league.

not punish vick at all in relation to his ability to work in the nfl?

maybe goodell wont be doing the punishment, but vick has been severely punished in relation to his ability to work in the nfl. or do you mean it matters who is doling out the punishment? just curious, i dont know if i was reading that right.

youre right, other people have been suspended, but the others were also given soft treatment by the courts, whereas vick was given the maximum recommended sentence under the guidelines. the judge didnt show leniency outside what the prosecutors requested for him. not only that, but we dont need to state the obvious about what his contract will look like if reinstated. it wont be 25% of his previous contract, and thats if any team even signs him.

if vick is suspended another year he did it to himself when you look at it in totality. but what purpose would it serve besides appeasing the lynch mob, which comprises of a great deal of people who couldnt name even a quarter of the 32 teams in the league.

TRUTH!!

felons can own businesses and in most states VOTE as well.

in maine and vermont, inmates can vote FROM PRISON.

link

OWNED!! :lol:

They just want Vick to work at McDonalds so they can feel superior.

sad.

and for all you people who think goodell is only considering the people who are anti vick and their protests, what happens when a largely supportive black fan base is seen as being alienated by the nfl and piling on mike vick.

theres gonna be protests and boycotts either way. guaranteed.

does the nfl want to endure claims of racism? or do they want to feel the ire of the vegetarians? im thinking peta loses in this scenario.

most prominent people in the nfl (present and former players, media etc.) would like to see him back in the league immediately. he's going to have to screw up bad here really soon not to be reinstated this year. getting signed? thats another thing. until week 5 and 4 of the leagues starting qb's are on injured reserve. who's going to sell more tickets when brees breaks his leg? harrington or vick?

vick will play this season

and for all you people who think goodell is only considering the people who are anti vick and their protests, what happens when a largely supportive black fan base is seen as being alienated by the nfl and piling on mike vick.

theres gonna be protests and boycotts either way. guaranteed.

does the nfl want to endure claims of racism? or do they want to feel the ire of the vegetarians? im thinking peta loses in this scenario.

most prominent people in the nfl (present and former players, media etc.) would like to see him back in the league immediately. he's going to have to screw up bad here really soon not to be reinstated this year. getting signed? thats another thing. until week 5 and 4 of the leagues starting qb's are on injured reserve. who's going to sell more tickets when brees breaks his leg? harrington or vick?

vick will play this season

Article 15, personal conduct, is in every player's contract and gives Commissioner Goodell a lot of power. It applies to all players and there is nothing racist about it.

15. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and professional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or professional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to fine Player in a reasonable amount; to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely; and/or to terminate this contract

Article 15, personal conduct, is in every player's contract and gives Commissioner Goodell a lot of power. It applies to all players and there is nothing racist about it.

15. INTEGRITY OF GAME. Player recognizes the detriment to the League and professional football that would result from impairment of public confidence in the honest and orderly conduct of NFL games or the integrity and good character of NFL players. Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League or professional football, the Commissioner will have the right, but only after giving Player the opportunity for a hearing at which he may be represented by counsel of his choice, to fine Player in a reasonable amount; to suspend Player for a period certain or indefinitely; and/or to terminate this contract

i didnt say the decision would be racist. i said "claims of racism". big difference. theres gonna be protests and boycotts either way. which ones do you think the nfl would rather endure?

well under article 15 i hope theres no nfl'ers playing texas hold'em! unless you can show me where article 15 stipulates differences between types of gambling.

add up all the money totals involved in this "organized gambling ring" and you'll find players who bet more than that on one roll of the dice. or is it just illegal gambling? too bad that wording isnt used in article 15. in fact, mentions of gambling seem to be centered around nfl related gambling so i dont really see what article 15 has to do with anything, especially since goodell hasnt indicated one bit that gambling was a major issue in this situation.

so when is goddell supposed to make his decision?

as soon as he finds a face-saving way to let the world know vick is coming back.

this season.

he has to make it look like he's thinking really hard about it.

Wow, that's quite a choice: Crazy folks crying racism where none exists or crazy folks who don't want you to eat meat using Vick as an excuse to promote their radical agenda.

Either way, just pepper spray the idiots and get em' out of my way so I can go buy a nacho hat and watch the game...

BTW, the NFL is just fine without Vick.....

Vick will only be suspended for 6 games if he's signed with a team before preseason.

Yes, our leader is finally free. B):D

There are far better people to admire or consider your leader. I know you were trying to poke people but that statement is pathetically sad.

Wow, that's quite a choice: Crazy folks crying racism where none exists or crazy folks who don't want you to eat meat using Vick as an excuse to promote their radical agenda.

Either way, just pepper spray the idiots and get em' out of my way so I can go buy a nacho hat and watch the game...

BTW, the NFL is just fine without Vick.....

Makes you wonder what they'd be saying if Mike Vick was white, Hispanic or Asian.. no?

Makes you wonder what they'd be saying if Mike Vick was white, Hispanic or Asian.. no?

a lot of the hatred for mike stems from his "thugness" (translation = n-wordness)

i doubt the outrage would have been anywhere near this had he not given a girl herpes, smoked weed, flipped off an opposing teams fan making a racist remark, or been black.

to be fair, i dont think the outrage would have been this severe if it had been someone like emmit smith, or larry fitzgerald. mike is just someone people love to hate.

Sorry but the only second chance he deserves is to earn a living. Playing in the N.F.L is a privilege not a right and he blew that privilege.

aerosmith67,(and I love aerosmith) but you know, it doesn't matter what race or color a remorseless dog killer is. At the end of the day he is a cold killer with no qualms about putting to death dogs who do not fight to his standard.

There are far better people to admire or consider your leader. I know you were trying to poke people but that statement is pathetically sad.

And a hit dog will holla.

Word to the wise, MAJORITY of who Black Americans considers our leader, and who we admire, is JESUS.

We don't admire men like us but we do give them props for using their God-giving abilities, whether it's for entertainment, etc.

Just the outrage of dogs, they ARE not our "man's best friend".

Once again, that title belongs to JESUS(for the vast majority)

Thank you for taking the bait Catfish.